1. Agent Vatani

Agent Vatani Active Member

No agencies?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Agent Vatani, Nov 12, 2010.

I heard (I didn't do this) that people can self copyright you own books. Though you can't trademark it own agencies and stuf can do that. Remember nothing perfect thing come with good and faults. You can write your book and go to your local printshop and self copyright your book. You can sale your book(s) to you local stores.
    What do you guys think of that?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

You're getting your terms confused.

Firstly, from the moment you create it, you own the copyright to all work you produce. And that copyright stays with you forever, unless you transfer it. You can register that copyright, but you don't have to in order for it to exist.

Trademarks are something completely different, and not really relevant.

And you can self-publish your work, and there are many companies that offer that service. Selling it in actual bookstores is very unlikely though, and you aren't likely to make much money from it or make it big. You have to do the marketing yourself, so if you like that then fine. But you're likely to lose money, and you're probably better off going with conventional publishing.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yeah, Banzai is right. In the U.S., you have copyright by operation of law as soon as you set down a work in a "tangible medium of expression." You don't have to do anything else.

If you have any sort of trademark associated with the work, then you can start accruing common law trademark rights as soon as you start using the mark in commerce, but common law rights tend to be relatively limited as compared to a federal trademark registration.

4. Agent Vatani

That's in the U.S.
    I didn't do that I was just saying! And I never made a book in stores (yet), I wish to though.
    I don't know how to get a hold of an agency, how does that even work?
    It was just the last few years I might to get a book published.. I also like writing but my friend said, "one day your make a good author." So I thought about and decide that would be somethin I would like to do.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's true in all the signatories of the Berne Convention. Registration procedures and benefits vary from country to country, but copyright still attaches from the moment you have a complete work (even a draft) in a persistent medium.

6. Agent Vatani

Oh okay.. But you could make the book but most likely it will be local. But that better then nothing.. But how do you go to a agency?

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you check out the agencies on listing sites [i can send you several good ones if you email me] and then send query letters to all that represent the kind of book you have to offer...

you don't do that till you have a completed and polished ms, however... and you don't do that if you intend to self-publish your book... agents will only try to find you a paying publisher... they won't help you sell your self-published book...

8. Agent Vatani

Oh okay, yeah I know they won't help self publishing, I just new to the whole publishing thing.. But I been writing for over 5 years. I don't use email much... So I'll just Message you.