1. Jonnypneumonic

Jonnypneumonic New Member

Not Another Newebie!! - I hear you sigh

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jonnypneumonic, Dec 27, 2007.

Well hi there folks. I've just registered and thought it only polite to drop a few words in your direction by way of an introduction.

Jonnypneumonic is the name (John) and yes, you've guessed it, i have i passion for writing; be it letters, business plans of one of my more creative works of genius - lol.

I've been published a few times in magazines (both in off the shelf consumer type media AND employment / industry based works) and have had my share of featured letters etc in the local press on any number of occasions. However as these appearances are unpaid submissions (although i have won a few nice items for my work) i don't count myself as "being published".

I'm currently working on a combination sci-fi/thriller which is written; but unfortunately only in the respect that its all in my head and on a million bits of paper. I have most of the ground work done, timeline of the story worked out and the background of the main characters established. I can see the entire story in my head; its just getting it down on paper thats the hard bit.

The issue i have is that my writing style is more 'visual' than it is 'dialogue' based. By that i mean i write as if i'm creating a movie script rather than a novel. i find it remarkably easy to set the tone, establish the storyline, introduce characters and the settings. yet when it comes to inter-character dialogue i struggle. I put this down to being a child of the video age.

So needless to say my target audience / market is the movie industry, but i still want to drip my creative juices on the bookshelf that is the novel sector.

I honestly believe (but dont we all) that i have the makings of an excellent sci-fi thriller on the go here, something totally different to what been seen previously; with the first scratchings of a horror story coming on slowly in the background too.

The one thing i'd welcome from this forum is advice on correct script writing format; finding and working with agents; getting published; not to mention any competitions that might be on the go.

I look forward to chatting with you and sharing views.

JP.

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Welcome to Writing forums.
    I am Leaka. Its a pleasure to meet you and I'm actually quite fond of new people.
    lol!
    You spelled newbie wrong.

3. Jonnypneumonic

Hi Leaka, thanks for the reply.

No that wasn't a spelling error, that was just a bonus letter (lol). The idea is you collect up all the bonus letters from all my future posts and at the end of the year it will form an astonishing work of literary genius.

* OK, i was a tiny error in my haste to get my post online.

J.

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

lol!
    So now I have an E.

Well what will be the other letter.

Do you write?
    I would love to read your stuff.

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Haha, and here was me about to start looking out for the letters. :p

I'm Heather and can normally be found around here every day at some point. If you would ever like a review, need any help or just want to chat then send a PM my way and I'll be happy to help. Welcome to the site and enjoy it here. :D

Heather

6. Kid At <3

Kid At <3 New Member

Hi there, Johnny! Welcome to the Writingforums! Smile Smile and enjoy your day! :)

~ Xai Xai Xi

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello John, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room Forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just bulletin boards for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

8. Jonnypneumonic

Yes i do write, but i also delete, so the trick is to get to me while i'm still happy with what i've written and before i start to edit it. I'm so happy with what i'm working on right now (sci-fi / thriller) that i'm keeping it under wraps till its done. When i do have something ready I'll certainly send it your way.

JP

9. Jonnypneumonic

Well Heather ... i'm always up for a chat, so drop me a line or whatever any time you like.

JP.

10. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Hi there John.

11. Raven

Raven Banned

Welcome to writingforums.org

12. Jonnypneumonic

Hi Hulk, nice forum you have here; locals seem friendly.

So which thread on here do i look at to establish how to find an agent and/or make money from writing; preferably all of that before the end of the year (joke).

JP.

13. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Cool.
    I'd love to read some of your work.
    I'm a sci-fi and thriller fan as well.

14. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Sell my cookies, and you'll get most of it. Most of it. Anyhow, you can look for that in Publishers under Writing Issues.

Welcome here, by the way, I hope you like it here. Feel free to contact me or anyone else for any sort of help and advice, we're all friends and enemies, 2-in-1 ;)

15. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello JP, and a big warm welcome to WF.org, the friendliest and craziest forum on the world wide web.
    It is wonderful that you have come here to join us and share your writing and opinions with all of us.
    If you would ever like a review simply PM myself or one of the other Reviewers and we will be more than happy to help out. You can find the list of reviewers by clicking on the Forum Leaders button at the bottom of the forum. :)
    I do hope that your stay with us is long and prosperous. :)
    Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing you around the boards in the very near future.

Thank you kindly

Torana