1. onnecar

onnecar New Member

Not happy with the site

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by onnecar, Jan 14, 2013.

I've only been subscribed for a short while and so far have found the site to be totally user unfriendly and infuriating. The information required is not easy to find which causes frustration for new people the information about what is required should be sent on the e mail as no one ever looks at anything below the bit about clicking on the first link to activate ones account. This is pure common sense. I have no beef with the issue of having to critique the work of others in order to post an example of my own work for critiquing but 20 posts is ridiculous and one cannot post anyway until one has met the requirements so just how do we make 20 posts for heaven's sake. Also a site that does not allow someone to unsubscribe in this day an age is very bad. Just hanging onto people to make the numbers look good in my opinion and does anyone ever answer any of my queries sent to the support section no they do not - is anyone really there? This is one of the worst sites I have been on and I would prefer not to be subscribed and yes it is a big deal to me to be associated with something that I don't want to be associated with. It is my right to be able to unsubscribe hassle free as with any other site as one would normally expect.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

You have to have 20 posts in order to post your own work for review. There is more to this site than the writing workshop, and the requirements are designed to steer new members to those areas first, in order to give them a chance to understand how the site works rather than just rushing in.

And for members who follow the recommendations they receive upon joining and create an introduction thread, I personally post a welcome message explaining in clear and cutting detail the rules. I am sorry that you feel you have had a poor experience, but we really have done much to make things clear and easy for members.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I guess we won't be seeing you around, then. I've been on other sites with requirements far more burdensome than those found here.

4. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

It's obvious you didn't try to post in the Lounge, or the RPG Forum, or any other place where you are allowed to post. You can even review other people's work in the workshop. It seems all you wanted to do was come here, join and let people read your work. That's not how this site works, it's give and take.

You are 100% free to leave though.

Cheers.

~ J. J.

5. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

Shame you weren't happy with the personal message I sent you, either. I think the rules are clear, and helpful - it is good to review other peoples work before your own.

6. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

The requirements are fair, clearly stated, and designed to encourage users to explore the site. It makes you ask questions, offer an opinion, or hone critique skills. Why should it be a cakewalking free for all?

The 20 posts and two week contingency, and two critiques help weed out scammers, spammers, and the unmotivated. This site is serious and on point, yet still entertaining. You want your work seen, actually give it a try. Most everyone else has managed to meet the requirements, so obviously it isn't impossible.

Sorry about the rant, but it really isn't that hard. All it takes is a little bit of effort.

7. Drusy

Drusy New Member

Longest 14 days of my life. Okay, not really. I'm halfway there and I've already made over 70 posts - all on good subject matter. Just in the past few days, I've learned so much about my writing - without ever having to post it. (Of course, I'm looking forward to getting the feedback.) And so far, the people I've talked to or watched have been amazingly supportive and responsive... a couple of them on this thread.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but the rules were made available and after I realized how much there was to process on here, I was glad that I had those restrictions. I'm still learning. I can't say anything about the part of shutting down the account - I'm not the developer - but for sure, what you put into something is what you get out of it and it seems to me like you didn't put much effort into supporting the other people here either.

Best site ever! So addicted! My 14 are ticking down. =)

8. SocksFox

I have to agree. :D

9. PaulKemp24

PaulKemp24 New Member

There's much to be gained from this site outside of just the critique and review section. I'm a fairly new member and I haven't even dabbled in that area of the site yet. I'm learning a ton about publishing, character development and even fundamentals like grammar.

Simple solution: If you don't like the site, don't visit the site ever again. Having a dormant account on a writing forum isn't going to send your career or your life into a ditch.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Really? Even with a prominently placed panel on the site home page titled Important Information?

All you need to do is not visit the site. No hassle, and no need for drama.

1. Uninformed opinion - the requirements have absolutely nothing to do with traffic statistics or SEO. If anything, the rules reduce the numbers by discouraging joiners who just want to post their writing for praise and adulation, and have no interest in long term participation.

2. How long did you wait for a response? Do you really think the site has a 24-7 paid support staff?

3. Yes, people are there - often enough. The site is active, but the staff are volunteers with lves outside of the site.

4. This isn't the critiquing section, so I won't rip your post apart for sentence structure. Still, it makes me wonder if you're more interested in writing or in getting a reaction.

11. notnancydrew

notnancydrew New Member

Me too! Reading others' writing and critiques has been incredibly useful to me. I've been able to make much needed revisions to my own writing while waiting my turn to share. The site's a huge resource. These fourteen days aren't at all a waste of time.

12. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

All the important information is available on links in the very first section of the sidebar on the homepage. While the information isn't sent in the email, most of the important information is sent in the welcome PM from myself. I could include it the welcome email, but people are more likely to read the private message than the welcome email.

You must understand the purpose for this. The 20 post requirement, 14 day registration, and 2 critiques are to improve community participation. Without these requirements, many new members would post work for display and leave.

You can absolutely unsubscribe. In order to do so:

Go to Settings > My Account > General Settings > Messaging & Notifications > Uncheck "Receive Email from Administrator, etc.

We almost never send out emails, though. Emails we send are the welcome emails, PM notifications, and notifications for threads you are subscribed to - if you choose to get email notifications.

In the past we had a newsletter/ezine, and we may in the future, but we don't even send that. So you can unsubscribe, but there's not much to actually unsubscribe from.

13. onnecar

onnecar New Member

I tried to post in the lounge too just to see if I could post and there was no option to post there either. I stand by my opinion. But no offence to the private message I received obviously I was not referring to that at all. Today is the first notification I have had from this group since I joined and posted as above, not good I'm afraid however you like to dress it up, fact.

14. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

You're unable to post in The Lounge? Are you sure? There's no reply or new thread button? Regarding notifications, I'm not sure what you mean; first you were complaining about being subscribed, now you're complaining about not getting notifications? I'm sorry, but you've lost me here.

My point in mentioning the welcome PM is that it contains all the information you're complaining that is missing. If you have a specific suggestion on how to bring the important info more into the spotlight other than it being the first thing new users see in the PM box and being on the homepage, I'd love to hear it.

15. PaulKemp24

PaulKemp24 New Member

If you don't like the site, just leave and find another site or start your own site. The folks that run this site do the best that they can (which is pretty darn good for not being paid). Think you could do a better job? Go ahead. Let us know when it's up and running.

Otherwise, stop complaining and simply don't visit anymore if you don't like it. Good day.

16. Keith Trimm

Keith Trimm Banned

I concur

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Didn't you already throw a hissy fit and slam the door on your way out?

18. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

And yet you're still here? Why?

19. Keith Trimm

Keith Trimm Banned

What a bunch of bullies. Thanks for supporting the point of this thread.

20. SocksFox

Sigh...Brings to mind of a bit of forgotten Scandinavian folklore.

21. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Everyone play nice now. I really don't like closing threads, but I do when they descend into name calling.

22. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

... LEMEX!

*runs and hides*

23. Khaelmin

Khaelmin Active Member

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

24. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Did you notice you bumped a thread that's a couple months old? Onnecar hasn't posted since 1-20-13. It would appear she's left the building.