1. Capslock

Capslock Active Member

Not totally copying. Or is it?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Capslock, Mar 30, 2019.

I know I’m not the only one who hears a song or song title, and gets jealous of that combination of words. Like I stated earlier, I have a collection of names, topics, scenes.

I’ll be clear and say up front that I wouldn’t literally copy, just change it a bit. For example, in music lyrics, song titles, even some race horse names.

Give ‘Chastain’ a good deep listen. Some deep, unique subject matter.

Tell me you do the same

2. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Absolutely. I get jealous of how cool the Touhou game names sound. Subterranean Animism? What the hell does that even mean but holy crap it sounds cool. It makes me want to shove random words together and see if anything sounds as cool.

3. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I'm sure a lot of writers are inspired by the imagery of song lyrics or what have you, but you shouldn't be copying them.

4. Capslock

Capslock Active Member

Correct. Not totally copying. Slight word rearranging. Even if the reader listens to the same music as I do, he or she might not get the reference.

Merovingian likes this.
  5. EBohio

EBohio Banned

I've always wanted to write something based on "Same Auld Lang Syne". I even want to open with, "Met my old lover at the grocery store..."

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Something to keep in mind is that just because you change some things here and there doesn't mean it's not plagiarism. I would be very careful with this approach.

deadrats likes this.
  7. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Hey, what if someone wrote:

Met my old lover in the grovcery store...the snow was falling Christmas Eve. Just like in the Folgleberg song.

Would that pass since I cite the source?

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

If you cite the source, you're OK. I interpreted the original post as suggesting changing a few words without citing any sources.

9. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Although I'm a blues man I was raised on country music, and I get a kick out of the lyrics like: "I'm drinking doubles and she's acting single." To go along with that one is: "I'm sleeping single in a double bed." Now there is a story there.

10. Capslock

Capslock Active Member

I like country also. Would like to modify that scene in Clint Black’s music video ‘state of mind’ where the elderly couple is dinking in middle of the empty road in middle of no where.

There is story potential everywhere

Good stuff

11. EBohio

EBohio Banned

"I Shot The Sheriff" led to the Denzel Washington movie "The Mighty Quinn"

12. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

"The Mighty Quinn" is based on Finding Maubee, which was released in 1971, two years before "I Shot the Sheriff". Can you clarify how the song led to the movie?

13. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

Paul Simon's "Still crazy after all these years?" Before Dan.

14. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

You could get into copyright issues if you're quoting song lyrics.

In general, I'd say it's great to pull a mood or an image or an idea from other people's work, but you shouldn't pull actual phrases. We're writers--it's our job to do the writing.

deadrats likes this.
  15. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I suggest being very careful with this. When I read or hear something great I can get inspired, sure, but never to the point where I think changing a few words around or whatever is going to make it original. Also, you can mention songs and artists, but you will most likely need permission to quote them. I think it's better to see where your mind can take that spark of inspiration rather than trying to copy or rephrase what's already been done.

16. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

I can totally pinpoint the part in my novel that I wrote while my 3yo was obsessed with Moana.

"I will carry you here in my heart, Father. You’ll remind me of my new purpose- to live up to yours and Mother’s legacy."

That being said, it's highlighted and flagged for editing later. Perhaps no one else would notice, but to me, it immediately puts the song "I am Moana" in my head.
    I don't see an issue using the words that are in your head when you first write, but I would advise you to change them to something less obvious in an editing phase. I know when I was writing this scene, that darned song kept popping into my head and insisting I use it. So I did. But I won't submit it anywhere with that ripped-off line intact. I'm just giving myself some distance so when I go back to edit, I'll have less Moana in my head lol.

XRD_author likes this.