Novum publishers

Discussion in 'Publisher Discussion' started by jason lewis, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

Australia via Hawaii via Australia via England
    The only one who benefits from the vanity publisher is the vanity publisher. They do not care if the author's book sells because they have already made their money. They prey on the gullible.

Tenderiser likes this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I agree with the sentiment but I think gullible is the wrong word. These companies are very clever and, as that ASA ruling laid out, often outright lie. When I began writing I didn't have a clue about how publishing worked, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I joined writing communities and got my education so I didn't fall for vanity publishing, but I can see how it happens. A new writer with their precious first book submits to a publisher with a professional-looking website that claims they evaluate each manuscript carefully and only pick the best ones for publication. The publisher responds, dripping with compliments about the MS, and starts talking about fees as if it was totally normal and the way that every publisher does things. They promise brilliant sales, that you'll be the next J K Rowling, and all you need to do is share the initial costs of editing etc.

I don't think you have to be particularly gullible to fall for that.

jannert and christinacantwrite like this.
  3. TopherT

TopherT Member

Well, I didn't mean they were literally like assisted self publishers. Legit assisted self publishers can be helpful, these people are plain con artists.

4. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Red flag #1
    Red flag #2

Vanity press. No question about it.

Any time any publisher, agent or management company asks you for money—and has a wonderful, glossy brochure to help convince you to sign with them—they are preying on you.

Don't sign and definitely don't give them money, no matter how small the amount, not even 'matching funds.'

My mother and my sister both fell for this (although my sister now seems to be wising up, although it's just about impossible to get Christian poetry published any other way) so I have a particularly personal hate on for these guys.

5. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

This is a very good point. Quite a worry, now that you mention it.

6. TopherT

TopherT Member

So immoral, but I suppose all these people care about is making a fast buck, or in the case, a fast few thousand bucks.

Technically it isn't breaking the law, because they are providing a service, but it's just a phishing scam with window dressing.

7. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

It could be fraud, depending on how far they go.

8. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Figuring out the business model of a publisher can be enlightening to authors, and may help them steer clear of questionable situations.

If it appears that a publisher's main revenue stream is derived from fees and services paid by authors, as opposed to earning revenue (profits) from sales of books it publishes, then the author considering that publisher might give some close look as to their expectations and what the publisher is actually offering. It may make sense, but it also may not, especially for the cost involved.

Another concern is if a publisher accepts/publishes basically every work submitted to them, without a vetting/rejection process. And as I stated in a previous post in this thread, a publisher that charges fees for services, and then keeps a large portion of sales of the book, paying the author only a royalty...that isn't self-publishing, at least not in the sense that most writers look at it. Looking around and weighing/evaluating options for avenues for an author's work (that they spent a lot of time and energy on) to reach readers is worth the time and effort.

There are definitely valid reasons for an author who intends to self-publish, paying for things like editing and cover art, etc. as it helps to ensure a quality product for potential readers, but shopping around getting references from editors and cover artists and someone who can do the layout for ebook and print book formats etc., can make a huge difference in what a self-publishing author pays out of pocket and the quality of the services that are paid for.

jannert, Brindy and Mike Kobernus like this.
  9. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

You said it, TWErvin2.....
    Hear, hear..

10. John Marshall

John Marshall New Member

Hi
    I recently got offered a contract with this company,they definitely charge for it. I submitted a children's book which was published previously by another company. They still asked for £2,995. That was their cheaper contract,I'd avoid them big time.

11. ShaunGreen

ShaunGreen New Member

I have got a publishing offer from a genuine publishers. However they are asking for £4000 administration fees and then offering me just 25% of royalties. Also they are keeping control of pricing... £14.50 for a child's novel? Too expensive I feel, but is that just me not having enough confidence in my manuscript? It is 250 pages with illustrations at a larger than normal paperback size? I am so over the moon about actually getting an offer but there is something at the back of my mind telling me this isn't right?

12. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

These are not genuine publishers. I'm sorry.

Tenderiser likes this.
  13. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Yeah, no.

14. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Vanity publishing at best , total con at worst ... that is either you'll pay 4k and get you book published but not make any money, or you'll pay 4k and get jackshit

Incidentally 25% royalties would be fine (many publishers pay less) but money going from you to them is a massive red flag

15. ShaunGreen

ShaunGreen New Member

Thanks for the replies. I have researched them and they are genuine, they just like covering there basis. I receive the money back after 750 books sell. Not sure it is a risk i can take though. Anyone got any suggestions on finding finance to help self publish?

16. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Don't fall for it @ShaunGreen. It's not a legit offer, that isn't how legit publishers work.

TWErvin2 and Trish like this.
  17. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

No, no they aren't - I can't stress this enough if they want 4k upfront they are NOT a genuine publisher, in a trad deal the money goes from them to you not the other way round. What happens here is you give them 4k and they do hardly any marketing so you only sell a couple of hundred copies... so you get 25% of Gross royalty (which won't be 14.50 because they'll deduct print costs and anything else they can think of), so the royalty is about $10, you'll get 2.50 per book.... a couple of hundred copies will give you $500 - leaving you with a net loss of $3500

In ref of self publishing it doesn't have to cost much - the main costs are editing and cover art - the actual process is basically free , unless you choose to use a service like draft to digital in which case its free at point of use but they take 15% of the net royalty (which means that you'll get about 55% of your cover price - after amazon etc have also taken a cut). Your other cost is marketting, but I'm in the school of thought that says paid adds aren't worth it until you've got more than one book to promote

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    TWErvin2 and Trish like this.
  18. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

A legitimate publisher will never, ever, EVER ask an author to front them money. They may be "genuine" in the sense that they do print your book and make it available for sale, but they are not operating under the same ethics and rules as a true publisher does, which is to bear the upfront costs of publishing and releasing your book, then recoup the money from their share of book sales.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, and most importantly DO NOT give these people a dime of your money. They are slimeballs who prey on inexperienced and enthusiastic writers like yourself - please please please do not allow yourself to be taken advantage of by them.

Trish likes this.
  19. big soft moose

I'd also suggest naming them - there are a number of places notorious for this kind of thing in the writing arena so people here may be able to give a guide on credibility

(Was it Austin MaCauley ? http://www.writersworkshop.co.uk/blog/austin-macauley-what-a-terrible-vanity-publishing-contract-looks-like/ )

or was it Pegasus ? http://www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com/2011/11/pegasus-elliot-mackenzie-reviewed.html

Also see if they are on the thumbs down list

https://patrickdevalera.com/2015/11/01/the-thumbs-down-publishers-list/

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Trish likes this.
  20. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I'm adding my voice to those who are already telling you this isn't legit @ShaunGreen I'm sorry and I know how much of a disappointment it must be, but unfortunately this is a money grab. Please don't fall for it. Also, consider naming them as @big soft moose has asked.

21. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

22. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Sorry Bro, total Scam.

This is really big in the poetry world with 'journals' offering writers publication in their magazine if X dollars is given to them. Do not fall for it.

23. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Con. Don't be a mug. You're the seller. Not the buyer.

24. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I'm with everyone else. Nope. Not a legit publishing house. If they were, you wouldn't be asked for money up front. It may sound like they're just trying to cover their own ass, but I doubt that's the real situation. At best they're a vanity publisher; At worst, an outright fraud preying on people who would really like to be published. When a publisher takes on a writer's project they are making an investment because they believe the work has promise. Sometimes investments fail. Real publishers won't ask you to cover the potential losses.

25. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm sorry, but, no, they are definitely not genuine. Genuine publishers don't make you pay for anything. I'm not saying that they don't put ink on paper, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a scam.

Why do you think they're genuine?