Nude Scenes...to use or not?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Marthix2016, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SnapWrex1

SnapWrex1 Member

Since others here have given you good feedback, I will merely list examples of types of scenes where someone else might see her scars.
    - During a fight scene, she may have clothing damage that leads to her clothes being removed (ie; she wears a robe that gets clawed, then caught on something and is ripped off).
    - She is getting a medical examination by, or in front of, someone she cares about.
    - She is changing her clothes in front of someone she trusts because there's only one location to change clothes in privacy and time is of the essence.
    - She is bathing with someone she trusts at a lake (needs someone to watch her back and she does for the other person).
    - A scar-comparing contest.
    If you go the romance route, it could be a particularly blunt seduction attempt (maybe overcompensating for her shyness) or she is responding to a seduction attempt from someone she wants. This one is from a rather mature story I've read; they are comparing their physiques or physical qualities (admiring muscles, comparing scars or bust sizes), and things heat up during this.

2. raine_d

raine_d Active Member

Only if you can come up with a good reason for her to be doing it. I mean, she's known the scars are there all along, and she would see them every time she gets changed/bathes/whatever. What reason would there be for her to strip off and stop to touch the scar and think about it?

And to be blunt, why would doing it nude be any more powerful than clothed if she's alone? I'm not being facetious here, and I'm not saying it wouldn't work, just that without some sort of plausible reason for her to stop and, well, navel-gaze in the nude, it could come across as rather over-deliberate 'posing' or purple prose-ish. Maybe she sleeps in the nude and the stopping and thinking about the scar comes from waking from a dream? Maybe she was changing and caught a fingernail against the scar?

BayView likes this.
  3. OB1

OB1 Active Member

From reading the other posts, it seems that the author would like this character to touch one of her scars. I think for this to work she'd have to be nude perhaps?

Perhaps you could have it as she has just got out of the bath/shower or what ever and is grooming herself in a mirror and she looks down and sees a scar that stems from the left hand side of her abdomen. She touches or caresses it and is immediately reminded of how she got it.

4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Show, don't tell.

Don't withhold the pictures.

5. Irina Samarskaya

Irina Samarskaya Senior Member

There is nothing powerful about taking a load of semen. Literally any animal (or inanimate object) could do that.

Sex is not a good way to transmit a good character, however the character you described is a nutcase so I guess that works just fine.

Just be aware your character is a nutcase. You cannot be good and evil at the same time. One dominates the other...

anotherghost likes this.
  6. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

Exactly what I was thinking. I mean...it would be better for her to be more exposed in this scene so you she can see her scar very visibly (writing story in first-person). I was thinking the scar would be around her abdomen area...would be a very tender spot, a wound that won't go away and continues to haunt her. Would be a good way to flashback to her past a little bit. How she got the scar and who gave it to her (a former ally/friend). I think she'll suffer from a depression a bit in her story and this scar is part of that. Now that I envision this scene a bit more detailed, I think it would be better for her to be by herself in this scene...she likes privacy after all.

7. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

Very excellent points. I like the five options you listed. Not sure of the romance route, but I will keep it open when I get to writing this scene. Since my character is a criminal, she is very secretive and protective of her battle scars. They are, more or less, her weak spots because they are a bit tender and sensitive. I think on her abdomen, on her back, one of her arms, even one of her legs. She may be fairly young (late 20's, early 30's) but her body has had a lot of wear and tear from battles. She is very intelligent and is very protective of her body with armor. Tends to cover up the battle scars that are the most sensitive to her all the time. She doesn't want people knowing about them and she tries to not think about them as they bring back bad memories to her...some of them anyway. I could see her changing clothes in front of a friend she trusts...I could actually see it being a male who is very respectful of her...and not make anything sexual about it. A lake scene would be another possibility too; having a close friend or ally watch her back. I think she and another male will have a very close relationship...not a romantic one...but one from an alliance/comrade perspective. Really great friends. A strong male and female relationship doesn't have to be romantic. I have a really good female friend that I am happy to call my best friend; no, she is not my girlfriend and not a romantic relationship...just really great friends who long to hang out together. I can see that with my character.

My character is a very competitive gal...I could see her doing a scar-comparing contest. Not likely since she wants to keep them covered up and no one to know about them but perhaps when she meets her best male comrade, they can go about sharing stories about each others scars...good way for them to connect. One more thing...a medical examination...I could see that happening to her...her needing one...I think she'll reach a point where she pushes her body beyond its limits and she collapses. Her best comrade takes her to the ER or whatever and gets her all healed up. Her story is a dark one and while she tries to take good care of herself, the events going around her are a bit chaotic and I think they'll eventually overwhelm her.

Just talking things out. Good points to bring up. Thank you.

8. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

I get what you mean exactly. Well, my character...I wouldn't say she's a nutcase...she's been through a lot of hell in her life...if I were to involve sex scenes in her story it would only be to portray something important about her and her relationship to someone important to her. I believe there will be a nude scene where she examines her battle scars from over the years...I think that would be a great way to present some of her background/backstory. I would never do a nude/sex scene involving her just because of entertainment or whatever, only if it adds to her story. I am very respectful of who she is and she only deserves the best.

9. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

Sorry for the delay in response to this. You present some great thoughts. I believe I should have a scene of her alone examining her scars. And having another scene where someone else...probably a male...sees her scars (non-sexual of course) and asks her about them. I think perhaps a guy or comrade she really trusts could be with her and she feels comfortable with him enough to reveal her battle scars while she goes for a swim or changes clothes or something. I could see her ally or friend being a healer...I could totally see that...she's the fighter and he's her backup. Would be a great way where she would open up about her scars and remember and reflect on them.

Not sure where all of her scars would be but there would be one extremely important one...maybe on her abdomen or all the way across her back....I had the thought of one on or near where her heart would be but that may seem a bit odd as her breasts are around that area...I guess having a scar next to where her heart would be can be symbolic part of the story...either way. Her most prominent scar would serve as great importance. It would be fairly tender and sensitive and when she touches it she senses great pain and remembers how it happened...like it continues to haunt her.

Another good point you make is her keeping her scars a secret. And yes, she doesn't have to be naked to think about them. I just thought it might be more powerful for her to have a moment where she undresses (change of clothes, going for a swim, getting healed by a healer, etc.) to reveal the scars somehow.

After talking through this, I think I know the direction I want this to go. Thank you for your advice.

jannert likes this.
  10. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

I could see my character going for a swim (with or without swimwear on) for this scars-related scene. If she's by herself in a room, she would probably be without clothes and examining her scars. She is a very private person...but she might allow someone she trusts to be with her...I could see a scene where her best friend/comrade (who is a male and he's a healer/doctor) and she undresses in front of him and she's completely okay doing it in front of him...nothing sexual or romance between these two...just two really good allies/friends/etc. He greatly respects her. She's the stronger and taller of the two anyway.

Her being asexual. I honestly don't think having a romantic relationship with a girl or a guy would be the top of her priority list. She will have a bunch of strong non-romantic relationships with people in her story. She would never want to get married or start a family or anything like that. Not her frame of mind. Given the stress in the life that she lives...she needs to keep her mind and body in tip-top shape. She doesn't have time to mess around to put it one way. She needs to keep her organization running

I wouldn't think that having my character not have any romantic relationships would make her less interesting of a character or less "readable". I believe readers will very much enjoy her character and her story. Lots of interesting thoughts always cycling inside her head.

11. SnapWrex1

SnapWrex1 Member

I know it's a late reply, I'm just glad I could help. You mentioned she wears armor; what kind of armor does she wear? Going by your description we're talking a lot more than - for example - Red Sonja, but if she's a criminal, that may require something stealthier than full plate.

Tell me more about this male comrade/close friend of hers. Depending on his personality, this could make things easier or more difficult.

12. Ashley Watters

Ashley Watters Member

You might consider how other writers have handled scars. For instance, Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series has the MC, Rand Al'Thor, suffer from a wound that will never heal. We know it's there. It greatly affects him. He is forced to endure the pain because he has to achieve his purpose. Along the way, he has three wives and at least two children. We know he is having sex. Jordan decided to not have any sex scenes. He did have all women meetings where they removed their tops to "prove" they were indeed women. He did not dwell on it.

Your character may endure one scar which affects her movement. Skin will often tighten up or pucker while it heals. It may remind her of other scars. Your character may or may not have a natural moment when she is naked. I can see it going either way from your descriptions. You have to decide who your audience will be and where you want to take them.

Irina Samarskaya likes this.
  13. Irina Samarskaya

Irina Samarskaya Senior Member

That IS a nutcase. She may have had a rough life, but would you introduce her to your mother? Trust her with your future children? Rely on her as a faithful wife? Or, if you're a woman, recommend her to a guy you love but not romantically (like a brother)?

The last post by Ashley Watters is a very smart one that I think gives more actionable advice than I've given, but I do want to remind you that she's not stable and has a way to go until she is. Manipulative, "cunning" individuals are not mentally balanced and good. I don't know your plot but you apparently love her; perhaps your aim is to eventually make her become a good and mentally sound person. However until that point, you have to know she's not well...

...And sex is one way of doing that. However I'd recommend a casual reference to it (especially if in the first-person) because actual promiscuous nutcases are very casual about sex and wouldn't (unless they're especially erotic) have a detailed memory of it nor necessarily want to describe it in detail to a reader. Plus, casually referring to something important (like sex) is a sign of mental disorder (which implies her baggage/emotional-scars in a very short and concise manner).

Ultimately what you ought to do is something only you can answer; I just think hypersexuality is a sign of weakness as the person lacks discipline and foresight (sex is a very adult game that can--and often does--result in new people after all) and would be a very poor sign of mental/personal strength (as urges are by their nature a sort of penetrable weakness others could exploit). If anything, rejecting casual sex would be a sign of strength as attractive people are much more commonly propositioned than not (as in they don't have to do much to get laid; therefore rejecting sex, something some people would literally kill for, is a sign of mental strength and discernment).