1. Mark David

Mark David New Member

Offline Thesaurus

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Mark David, Sep 22, 2021.

I'm trying to find a thesaurus that I can use offline, as I will soon be spending a lot of time writing in a cabin in the woods - emphatically not online. Major considerations include:
    • I use Thesaurus.com when I'm online - and love it, as it delivers a wide range of slang and non-standard options. MS Word thesaurus is, IMO, too limited.
    • I know, I could buy a hard-copy Thesaurus, but...
    Ideally, I'd like to be able to download all of Thesaurus.com (or one equally robust) onto my hard drive, and drive off into the hinterland for a month, fully supplied with synonyms.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark David

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Just buy a thesaurus from your local bookstore - books don't go flat.

3. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I agree with the moose.

Thesaurus.com is nothing but an on-line dictionary of synonyms. IMHO, that's a very poor substitute for an actual thesaurus.

https://www.amazon.com/Rogets-International-Thesaurus-Barbara-Kipfer/dp/0061715212/ref=sr_1_2?crid=153SPCYEI4CQU&dchild=1&keywords=roget%27s+international+thesaurus%2C+7th+edition&qid=1632346156&sprefix=Roget%27s+International+Thesaurus%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-2

Note: This link is to the seventh edition, which is the one I use. There is a newer edition, and it receives as much (or more) criticism as it does praise. The nice thing about the seventh edition is that it's easy to find affordable used copies in good condition.

4. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

no but how do you actually use Roget's thesaurus without going to the index and using it like a synonym dictionary but with extra steps? The way my brain works, i could never use that sort of taxonomical organization to find a word. I think synonym dictionaries are better, tbh. Simpler, anyway.

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Personally, if there is a thesaurus you really like, I'd just put a 'filler' word in the manuscript, highlight it, and then go back and update it when you are online or doing your first edit.

When I'm writing a rough draft I use onelookthesaurus.com for most problem words but highlight a lot of them for a more thorough review later. Keep in mind some of the examples on onelookthesaurus.com are wrong or misspelled.

6. SapereAude

You don't use a thesaurus (a true thesaurus) without using the index. That's what it's there for. I can't disagree that a dictionary of synonyms is easier to use, but there's a reason -- it offers far fewer choices. When you are searching for that elusive, perfect word, it's often a shade of meaning you need, rather than a direct synonym. Opinions vary, I suppose but, IMHO, there's simply no way that a dictionary of synonyms can even begin to compare with a true thesaurus.

7. SapereAude

8. Oscar1

Oscar1 Member

This is fully offline, can be used free, but only for windows
    https://www.mediachance.com/cquill/

SethLoki likes this.
  9. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Also, also…. the humble placeholder [ ] for immediately unretrievable words, or words you suspect’d better fit. Big holdup that has one (me) unwittingly divert from task is the venture into any thesaurus, of sorts, and lose forward momentum. Yes, if drafting along, I’m convinced it’s best to stay in the wake till enthusiasm wanes or convenient juncture’s arrived at.

10. SapereAude

So they want us to pay them 50 bucks to become a beta tester?

Thanks, but no thanks.

11. Oscar1

Oscar1 Member

No, you can use it free, the thesaurus is very comprehensive - in fact you have 14 thesauri all sorted by a certain style. And it can be used all without paying anything in free mode.

12. SapereAude

I didn't see any reference to a free mode -- or even a free download -- on the web site.

13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It took me less than a second to find it..

Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 22-50-25 CQuil Writer - Plot and Write your Novel in a Style.png

14. SapereAude

Aha.

Yes, I saw the trial version. I'm accustomed to "trial" versions having an expiration date of 30 days (or less), so I didn't even go there.