Once Together, Always Together

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Bewitched, Nov 23, 2013.

1. BrandonrockstheAM

BrandonrockstheAM Active Member

Hmm... I hadn't thought of that... I like the time-freeze ability, in fact, it would make his abilities more like a movie remote than anything else. Like a pause button... but I have the feeling that may be a little overpowered. I'll make it a pause for a short amount of time, let's say 15 minutes. Adding a little bit to the profile, here's a modified version:

Magician's Name: Quinn Tolledge
    Age (13-16): 15
    Personality: Cold, calculating, interested only in what interests him. He looks for excitement in his life, but as a genius with an incredible IQ, he finds most everything boring, except for novels, movies, plays, and other fiction work. Part of this aspect of his personality is his father, who taught him that fun, romance, and having friends are distracting to completing your goals in life.
    Appearance: Tall, lanky, blonde wavy hair, brown eyes, minor acne.
    Possibly Important Information: His father is a renowned alchemist, and is famous for being able to condense potions into incredibly small portions, giving them more power.

Daemon's Name: Cyrus
    Age (100+): 1200
    Personality: Mysterious and hermit-like for the heck of it. Wise and sagely.
    Powers:
    1) Pause-Button(As Quinn refers to it)
    -Quinn can tell Cyrus to pause time everywhere in the universe except for both of them, and roam about, interacting with anything he pleases for a set interval of exactly 15 minutes.
    2) Present Knowledge
    -Using this, he knows what is currently happening everywhere in the universe. Quinn can ask Cyrus to retrieve any current event and play it out in Quinn's mind as it were happening now.
    3) Past Knowledge
    -An infinite supply of knowledge collected from past events. Quinn can ask Cyrus to play any past event in his mind as if it were happening now.
    Guises:
    1) A bee(he just doesn't use the stinger)
    2) A cricket
    3) A crab

2. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

@BrandonrockstheAM I hate to say it, but in my mind those powers are still a bit OP. Freezing everything for fifteen minutes and being able to interact with it, could easily be a game-breaker. I mean, think about it, any boss, any other player, anything could easily be defeated that way. And if not defeated, Quinn could always escape that way. Being able to freeze time in a very local spot (as in, freezing an incoming missile, and turning it around with your bare hands to have it fly backwards) seems more like a balanced power to me.

Another way to put this: Quinn, according to your description, is a bloody genius, right? If he is, would he really need to freeze everything for fifteen minutes to come up with a solution to any given problems? I think being able to freeze your entire environment for even ten seconds is insanely powerful already.

Then again, I tend (there are some exceptions) to underpower my characters, on purpose, because I think it's more interesting to see them develop that way, and earn their powers.

Anyway, I am not here to tell you what to do, it's just a suggestion and it's up to @Bewitched to judge if your current powers are okay or not :)

3. BrandonrockstheAM

Hmm... you're right. That is a bit OP. Sorry, I just had a vision of Quinn walking through the library with everything paused, mocking the few bullies he had at school while they were battling Tammuz, and thought it'd be fun if I could do a scene like that.. Once I think about the more practical aspects of the time-freeze, I now realize that it's overpowered. I'll ask Bewitched if Cyrus is able to only have 2 powers, since freezing something specific at will seems out-of-character for him somehow. (Yes, I know what comes next... "and freezing everything is better!?") Freezing something at will allows Quinn a ability that is easily used for combat, which I do not want him to have.

Macaberz likes this.
  4. Macaberz

I am very glad you took it so well! Not everyone likes receiving remarks about their characters, and I myself experience difficulties on that level too, but I digress. Don't let me get in the way of a great idea, nor use Oliver/Dagon's powers as a standard to gauge Quinn's by. It could very well be that Quinn is smarter and more powerful than Oliver...so yea, let your imagination run wild, though I'd advise you to stay away from atomic-bomb like powers.

5. BrandonrockstheAM

I dislike arguing over such a small point, but Quinn is not supposed to be powerful at all. I had always intended for Quinn's personality, abilities, and his daemon to be pointing towards him being completely useless in a fight. He's supposed to be built as the ultimate supporting character, but his personality is in complete contrast with the position of supporting character, being as confident, intelligent, and indulged into solipsism as he is at the start. So at first I stuck with the omniscience ability, as that fit well with the 'ultimate' support, but that struck technical problems, as you so smartly pointed out. Then you suggested Time Manipulation, so I had a couple images of Quinn dancing around a battlefield as he makes fun of everything when everything else is paused, so I went with it. Of course, that was revealed to be overpowered by you, so I decided on just knowledge on the past and present. You've been very helpful, so thank you!

(Rereading this, it can sound like I'm being sarcastic, but I promise you I'm not trying to be.)

6. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

I was opting to stay out of this discussion because I figured Bewitched would come along and approve or disapprove the character. At the end of the day, anything Mac and I say is pretty pointless. It's not our game, so it's not our call to make. But, since this is a discussion thread, I suppose I'll weigh in and, ummm... discuss. (And I hope you don't take this the wrong way, BrandonRockstheAM. I'm trying to be constructive, but I'm afraid it might come across as us ganging up on the new guy. That's not my intention at all. Everything I say is my opinion and, as such, is worth less than the bytes of data used to display it. I'm just some guy.)

My problem with Quinn's omniscient-like power was that it made things far too easy for him. I might be misinterpreting this, but the way I read it, it sounded like he knew everything past, present and future (within a certain period of time). Where is the thrill of figuring things out or the danger of taking a chance? The irony of this is that I gave Skaaldrannas a similar ability, but specifically stated that she has "vague" glimpses of things, rather than absolute certainty. Like clues to a mystery, half the fun is figuring out what those glimpses mean and wrestling with the possibility of guessing wrong.

I agree with what Macaberz said about the technical limitations, but that's nowhere near my biggest concern. A character who knows everything and never miscalculates or never faces the risk of miscalculating is pretty much a game-killer, IMO. Quinn would be immune to one of the most fundamental narrative forces: human fallacy. Freezing time poses the same problem. It's just too hard to fail with such powers.

Why not give him abilities that are virtually useless, or only useful in very niche situations? If you want to showcase his intelligence, I think the best way to do that would be to give him very limited resources, so he is forced to use his superior intellect to stay one step ahead of his enemies.

7. BrandonrockstheAM

If you may have noticed, I have opted to not have a freeze time or future knowledge power at all, and only have the past and present knowledge.

I don't take it as 'ganging up on the new guy', don't worry about that. My plan from the beginning was to have Quinn be a hyper-intelligent guy with few tools, only knowledge. This way, he's forced to use his mind to survive at all. For example, he asks Cyrus if anyone was going to kill him in the future, and when, then Cyrus would answer. This way, Quinn would know when and who, but would still have trouble trying to make things different, because he's absolutely useless in a confrontation, and he isn't that friendly normally.

Now, without future knowledge, this severely limits him. He might ask Cyrus if anyone wants to kill him at the moment, and Cyrus will tell him. He might ask about his opponent's strength and weaknesses, and Cyrus would tell him. However, the pinch is that Quinn has absolutely no way to avoid this opponent(no physical powers at all; not athletic, no physical training, Daemon doesn't have aggressive powers, etc), no idea how the opponent kills him in the future, and no idea where the opponent kills him; although he can guess using what he knows already. Quinn is essentially a tall, thin teenage genius who knows everything except the future, and he's up against magicians, sorcerers, alchemists, and daemons who can kill him in less than 20 seconds if they set eyes on him. He is forced to use his superior intellect to stay one step ahead of his enemies, but mostly to stay alive.

However, this is the thrill of the game to Quinn. There's a reason he chose Cyrus, and that's for a chance to risk it all for a life of excitement and thrills. He'll most likely die during the course of roleplay having miscalculated or guessed something wrong.

So, these have basically been my thoughts on his powers, and their ups and downs, and I personally like it. However, your niche ability idea sounds interesting. Have anything in mind?

8. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

and just so you guys know: Soka is in physical form and has gotten burned from being in contact with Tammuz, but that reaction will come after her spell is finished...

9. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

Quinn's powers do seem a bit overpowering, my friend Erik-The-Enchanter! had a time freezer character in another RP, and when they were already deep in the RP everyone started saying it was overpowering. Maybe if you could only "freeze" objects? Like a grenade explosion, or a dagger flying at you? And the Present Knowledge seems a bit overpowering, too, because then you could just avoid all danger because you already know about it. We could PM and try to figure it out if you want, or you could just revise it on you own.

PS, The Headmistress and Pax just got thrown in an Other Side portal. No one is guaranteed to live. Anything can happen in this game. ;)

10. Macaberz

I quite literally stumbled across this picture, it resembles Oliver quite well:

[​IMG]

11. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

haha cute