1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

One Week Challenge to End Procrastination- Who's In?

Discussion in 'Insights & Inspiration' started by Carly Berg, Oct 23, 2016.

1. PenelopeWillow

PenelopeWillow Member

This seems a bit stagnant, but I'm going to participate anyway.....

I am working on two separate short stories and would like to have both finished as well as start and finish another short story for the Patreon I am starting this week.

So far I am halfway finished with each short story.....So lets see where this goes :)

zoupskim likes this.
  2. Solar

Solar Contributing Member Contributor

Use fresh picked cooking apples. Full of pectin.

It's particularly nice with belly pork.

zoupskim likes this.
  3. bonijean2

bonijean2 Ancient Artists And Storytellers Rock

It would be difficult now to have freshly picked apples because everything outside is frozen and I eat very little pork but will definitely try this recipe again next year, thanks!

zoupskim likes this.
  4. Solar

Solar Contributing Member Contributor

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy.

zoupskim likes this.
  5. Foxxx

Foxxx The Debonair Supporter

By this time next week I'd like to have at least the first chapter of my WiP written. Rough draft, that is.

We'll see! :-D

zoupskim likes this.
  6. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

My goal for this week and next is actually to work on setting writing goals for 2017. Due to health issues, I really had a difficult time getting any writing done in 2016 and I am really hoping to get back into the swing of things starting in January.

ArgileSocks and zoupskim like this.
  7. Number 7

Number 7 Member

As a way to meet the 20 post requirement for submitting works to the workshop, I figure this will allow me to pass the time and contribute to my work instead of me posting something written in haste.

So, starting Monday, February 7th till my Birthday on the 13th, my goal will be to write a page or two a day in order to have a sizable chunk ready for when I gain access to posting in the workshop.

8. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributing Member Contributor

Why have I never seen this thread before? It's awesome!

I'm going all in, with a claim that I will FINISH my current edit of my book this week. Ive got around 30k words to go, and five days to do it. That's at least 7k words per day.

... Ready-set-go!!

ArgileSocks likes this.
  9. zoupskim

Here's my editing music today!

10. Dracon

Dracon Member

Wow, that's some gauntlet you've thrown down there @zoupskim !

After seeing this thread, I found I couldn't just let this go... so here's my counter-thrust: let's say I'm going to get to the end of my novel (Chapter 18 and Epilogue) for this set of re-writes by the end of next week! Which is quite a tough ask since I am occupied for the entirety of both weekends. But I'm feeling audacious, since I had promised myself I would be at the end by the end of January, which didn't happen (and honestly, I probably could have done it). Let's see how far I get.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    zoupskim likes this.
  11. ArgileSocks

ArgileSocks Member

holy cow, you're really going for it! Be sure to update us on your progress.
    That's a great first step to return to writing. Keeping clear goals in mind is so beneficial. Good luck!

----
    I'm going to finish a short story I'm working on. It's in the fantastic genre (le fantastique) so it's very different from anything I've written before. I'm hoping it works out, even if it's just a way for me to warm up my writing skills. Le fantastique is so interesting and I'd love to do more with it.
    I'll have a working draft by the 13th of February.

zoupskim likes this.
  12. zoupskim

Update! Only one, so I don't spam this thread too much.

I did the math and I actually only have 23k words to edit, not 30k, so my earlier claim is a little less impressive, and I only need to do 6k words a day to meet my goal.

Current editing music!

13. Number 7

Number 7 Member

Update: I managed to write a short prologue, don't know if 320 words is decent for a beginning. Showed it to one of my friends and he said it was decent but didn't give any criticism beyond that.

Gonna work on the first chapter, which should be my task for the rest of the week.

14. A.V.K.

A.V.K. Member

My task for the week is as follows:

1. Finish writing chapter of book.
    2.Edit poem that is so close to being done.

I'll post back in a week or when I meet those goals.

ArgileSocks likes this.
  15. zoupskim

Well, the weeks passed and I failed in my resolution to complete my book.

I made it to the last chapter, but ended up unable to finish the last 5k words or so to actually finish. Still, this was fun, and I'm glad I tried it.

16. Number 7

Number 7 Member

Same. My birthday has arrived and sadly, I procrastinated the last few days. Might come back for week 2, but as it stands I'm currently feeling in the mood to write again.

zoupskim likes this.
  17. Dracon

Dracon Member

That seems pretty much close enough! You got further than you would without the resolution: that's the most important thing.
    I think the main problem is making the writing habitual enough that it becomes a routine. That is the best antidote against procrastination, but I know that it's easier said than done with lots of other things going on. Especially your own birthday! I think a special allowance can be made for that. :)

zoupskim likes this.
  18. Dracon

Dracon Member

Unfortunately, I didn't get anywhere near - only just over halfway through Chapter 16 now. Not a great idea having had such time-consuming weekends that didn't leave much time for writing. Still, I think it might have been not far from 10k all in all, in two weeks, which is not bad, and probably more than I would otherwise have got without this challenge.

zoupskim likes this.