Tags:
  1. andallthatjasper

andallthatjasper New Member

One word titles

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by andallthatjasper, May 9, 2020.

I've been writing a tabletop game, and titles are... well I'm really bad at titles. So I decided that instead of coming up with a title early, I'd come up with a sort of one word working title and change it later.
    But now I really, really like this working title (it's "Auspice" for reference). It works really well with the aesthetic of the game, it's a pretty word, and it's a very subtle nod to the original game that created the system. I've had somebody tell me it's a bad idea because it's just one word, but on the other hand I can't find anything by that name. Searching it only results in dictionary definitions.
    I'm kind of dreading coming up with a longer title lol. Am I overthinking this? Will this be hard to search for or is it good enough?

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Not long ago I downloaded a lot of stories by Lovecraft. I had already read quite a few, had several books of his collected stories etc, but I had never noticed before that most of them start with The—The Dunwich Horror, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The thing on the Doorstep, etc. My point is, once I saw a list of titles in the folder, it was clear, but until that time I had never noticed.

I don't think anybody's going to notice or care that it's only a one word title. Just my opinion.

3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

That's a cool sounding title. I don't think it matters. Think of Inception, Frozen, Batman, Gladiator, Casablanca, etc.

EFMingo likes this.
  4. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

One word titles are meant to make a power statement that the plot you intend to unfold lies within the bounds of the definition of the title word, like an extended example of such a thing. These examples Friedrich gives above are a few of thousands that intend to do the same. I think you are perfectly fine in a one word title, as long as it stays within those bounds. Also, it's a title. It matters some, but really the game plot you developed is where the meat is. I think you'll be fine.