1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Openoffice writer (formatting bug)

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by OurJud, Sep 13, 2015.

My OpenOffice Writer documents have developed a rather worrying bug when loading from my USB stick, so I'm posting here to ask if anyone else is experiencing similar.

When I load up my WiP, whole chunks of the text are in italics. When I loaded up my latest chapter just now, the whole document was in italics, and all instances of two punctuation marks ('...' and ' - ') were showing as this symbol: �

This sudden lack of stability is very worrying. How long before it renders EVERY punctuation mark as a random symbol?

2. fivetoesten

fivetoesten Member

do you have a sample document that you could provide so someone could take a look at it?

That sounds like an encoding issue. Probably your document is encoded as utf8 and Oo is opening it as ascii. It also sounds like a virus, but it's hard to tell.

What are you saving your documents as?

3. OurJud

I'm saving them as .rtf

I don't want to post a sample, as they're all chapters from my WiP.

Strange thing is, the problem only started about three days ago.

Can you explain how I ensure compatibility with encoding?

4. OurJud

I posted this question on the Apache forum and was told I should only be saving files in .odt, and never directly to a USB (as I have been doing).

The poster doesn't go on to explain why, but it's worth a try.

5. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Senior Member

I don't know why the medium you're saving it to would cause the issue. I do know I'd prefer to save my documents as .odt, because that's the "native" format for LO. At the completion of my work, if I wished, I'd then "save as..." to another format. This may be a better way for you to go, unless there's a clear need for rtf during the writing/editing process.

I also just tried exporting part of my work from my writing software and opening it in LO: all was good.

In the past I've had problems with rtf, going into LO (from Liquid Story Binder) and I was informed that this is because LO rtf is not standard, which again, sounds strange, but the results I was getting were consistent in LO and not being shown in WordPad, for example. Given I have never experienced any issues opening rtf in LO before, I tend to think there was some issue in LSB.

OurJud likes this.
  6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I've had problems with .rtf from LSB as well. Apparently, .rtf is not a standard format, and LSB seemed to have more problems than other .rtf files.

OurJud likes this.
  7. OurJud

Yes, I only just discovered the .rtf is not a standard.

Anyway, I now save directly to my hard drive, and in .odt, and this seems to have fixed the strange italics thing and odd symbols on load up.

I back-up now by zipping up all my chapters and emailing them to myself.

Michael Pless likes this.
  8. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Senior Member

Yes, I was surprised to hear there were flavors of RTF. Importing into LO saw a jumble of thin black lines a few centimetres high. ^A then clear formatting got me readable text.

OurJud likes this.