1. Christopher Snape.

Christopher Snape. Member

Opinions on my character names?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Christopher Snape., Aug 7, 2012.

Hi there.

In the series I am planning, there are three recurring deities that serve important roles in the plot. I was wondering if I could seek your opinions on their names, and offer some constructive criticism:

Goddess of Electricity and Chaos: Batteris.

God of Water and Dreams: Hydrem.

Goddess of Fire and Time: Fevera.

Essentially, Batteris created the sky and atmosphere on my fictional planet, Hydrem formed the oceans and rivers, and Fevera sculpted the earth. I'm really not satisfied with their names (especially Batteris), and was wondering if any of you can advise me on use of symbology and word origins so I can change them. I'm not telling you to give me names, as that would be lazy writing on my part, but rather point me in the right direction.

Thank you! Due to my meticulous nature, this otherwise small obstacle is distracting me from developing the world and characters, so I really appreciate the help.

2. susanv93

susanv93 New Member

I don't particularly like Batteris; it feels too obvious. Perhaps you could look up the Greek/Latin origin of something electricity related and it can help you think of something.

The other two I like.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Is it a comedy?

If not, best not to try to be cute with names.

4. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Hmmm...not really. Pokemon has names ranging from obvious to ridiculous, but it has become very popular and kids not only remmeber the name by heart, they research it. I don't find anything wrong with the names. They may seem silly and out-of-context now, but when you put a good story around it thn people will accept and love it.

I mean..Squirtle....come on :p

5. Quinn T. Senchel

Quinn T. Senchel New Member

Not a fan of Batteris, as others said. This reminds me of The Legend of Zelda's three goddesses.

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Batteris sounds awful. I would not be able to take this character seriously personally, if I were reading it and it might cause me to put the book down, if this character occurs too often. I just think of well, real batteries when I see the name. If you really want an obvious name, Electra is probably better, although now you run the risk of it being confused with the comics - but it's still way better than Batteris.

Hydrem sounds too scientific for me but it's tolerable. It doesn't sound like a living being's name though - rather more like the name of some scientific component or water currents. But nothing living.

Fevera sounds awful. What is she, a fever? Perhaps she is ill! How about Enya? Doesn't that mean "little flame"? It's pretty and it actually sounds like a name.

7. Christopher Snape.

Christopher Snape. Member

Cogito: The series as a whole is going to be played fairly straight, but there will be comedy splashed throughout the books, mostly in the form of wordplay and puns. I'm thinking of a lot of portmanteau names for background characters, such as 'Emberley' and 'Coalton' for residents of a fire-themed town, and 'Ethern' and 'Aeriel' for residents of a sky-themed town. It's not supposed to be completely cheesy, but enough to induce a giggle from the reader.

susanv93: I agree with you whole-heartedly about the answer lying in mythology. I want the name to involve 'Eris' somehow, as Eris is the Greek goddess of strife and discord. I just need to find a decent electric-related word and make a portmanteau out of the two.

For everyone else, thanks for replying!

After avoiding this obstacle for several days, I returned to my computer and immediately came up with 'Amperis'. It does sound a bit cheesy, but its better than 'Batteris' in my opinion.

This doesn't count as double-posting, does it?