1. MrsT88

MrsT88 Member

Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by MrsT88, Nov 14, 2014.

Writing "...birthday celebrations had gone as explosively as she had imagined." Reading this would you think that the celebrations had gone in a good or bad way. I want it to sound like it went really well and was a great party but not sure explosively is the right word to use.
    Thanks, Natalie.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I find "explosively" to be singularly unspecific. It could mean anything from a smashing good time to a terrorist attack. But a more basic problem is that you are telling, not showing. Rather than conducting an excruciating search for the quintessentially correct adverb, spend a few words describing something that happened at the celebration that sums up how great it was for the POV character.

MrsT88 and Canopyvine like this.
  3. Canopyvine

Canopyvine Member

The sentence is not very long so I guess what comes next will set the scenery. :whistle:

It could be:

...birthday celebrations had gone as explosively as she had imagined. The fireworks had been a huge success!
    ...birthday celebrations had gone as explosively as she had imagined. She should have known aunt Elizabeth and uncle Tom would make a scene.
    ...birthday celebrations had gone as explosively as she had imagined. Severed body parts had reached the nearby church and her white dress looked like it came straight out of a Quentin Tarantino movie.

I guess.

MrsT88 and Shadowfax like this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

This reads as if inspired by Monty Python's "Anyone for tennis?"

Canopyvine likes this.