ORB OF PYRITUS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by losthawken, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Don't worry - with everything that I have going on during the day, I'm usually pretty busy. My posting will be rather slow as well. Currently in class, but I'll try to post later today.

2. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

My post rate will be one post per day at MAX. I usually sneak a post in during work (graduate student) but don't get much done in the evenings or weekends. And I believe there are quite a few players from the UK and many different time zones in the US. I'm in the EST.

I have to say that I am VERY pleased with the degree of collaboration and teamwork you guys are doing.

As to the point about being 'left behind'. I've seen this happen too and its unfortunate. What usually happens is a player puts his character in a position where he can't progress unless someone interacts with him. Everyone figures someone else will do it, or doesn't want to deviate from their own course to help and the player gets stranded. You can avoid this by making plans with the other players in advance and avoiding things like knocking your player unconscious until someone rescues him. If you find yourself in this situation don't depend on others, whip something creative up to work yourself out of the whole and get back to where the action is.

Exclusive's sword may be at particular risk for this since it depends a great deal on other players. Lets be a team and try to make sure everyone gets interaction. If you see someone new or alone move your character alongside and bring them into the story.

3. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Hey guys!

I'm about to begin Leila's story, and thought it would be kinda fun for her to stumble upon when Riley kills the dragon (she wouldn't be seen right away though). But, should she see another character instead? Your thoughts?

4. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

I'll make my post now since i'm home. Side note Magnafire can be at times deadly serious, and I hope his little fallouts with Blade Edge cause some kind of laugh, even a little. I realise my humour fails. But hey...

5. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Double post again sorry, stumble upon us, a band of three, A Magnan and his talking sword (in thoughts). a Angry Dude who can Shred dragons. And Leila. sounds like a team. And its whatever suits you.

6. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Don't worry about this one. We've got it covered for now.

I think it's entirely your choice! However, if I were you, I might try to interact with Pyree (who is now stranded & alone), or perhaps Igor/Thum, Faramar/Eslana. This is because multiple people are converging to the dragon village (Riley, Magnafire, Atlas, & Thatratar), and it might get a little crowded.

But really, its up to you. Pick what you think you'll enjoy best!

7. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

I'm going to read some of the other posts, and, interesting to see how it all fits. a lot of convergence.

8. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Hey guys! I just got home from school to find out i've been hit! No problem though, I do like to work with a challenge and I'd love to interect withnaturemage/Eslana, but I already had some things planned with Rapaz/Igor. Maybe you (Eslana) can join us? But I don't know I'll have to check with him.

On a side note, WOW, this is amazing. I can never predict what's going to happen next!

9. JessWrite

Thanks Cheddar! There's so many possibilities to play around with which makes RPGs so fun. Can't wait to get started. ;)

10. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Yup, these things happen. And it's not just Faramar; Igor's combatant has been unpredictably taken out by Thum.

@The Magnan: Is there a particular reason Magnafire's speech is in bold text? I'm just curious to know.

11. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

It says in the first post, I think to bold speech when conversing with other characters. Just sticking to the rules unless it no longer matters.... Oh I misread it... Erm oops.

12. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

One of the rules of the game is to avoid retelling the story from your character's perspective, but I don't much of a choice now. Is that ok?

Nvm, I've started writing it already

13. JessWrite

Got my post up. Hope Pyree doesn't shoot Leila first...haha :)

14. losthawken

Your post was appropriate Areadrill. I just have a pet peeve about players who's characters do nothing more than re-tell what's already happened and don't add anything to the story. But I feel that adding detail to en event that happened to your character like you did is OK.

15. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

I hope you like surprises.

16. JessWrite

Bring it on! ;)

17. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Just finally posted in reply to Magnan. Hoping to collaborate with him, Cheddar, and Exclusive. Just waiting on a reply PM from Magnan to settle all the details.

I like this! Things are heating up and things seem to be moving along real nicely.

18. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Very nice posts by both GaleSkies and Backbiter.

I definitely didn't expect that from Pyree, that was a good surprise.

And I can see Riley and Magnafire are about ready to find more action.

19. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

I've been waiting patiently to pull stunts like that. I just have to slowly develop character motivations, her abilities and their limitations. I want her to be strong willed, but without those immediate objectives she can get a little... weak.

17 - space time threads left. Moving toward the ultimate goal of her last remaining teleportation. The final deciding factor between life or death. LOL

20. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Thank you, Cheddar. Gale, I actually liked your post too, very nicely done.

As for action, it's all up to Magnan now. Once he posts we can start moving east.

21. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

I'm really curious about that. (EDIT: curious but willing to wait and see) Is this going to be like a fellowship of the ring? The party moved onward etc... Will there be a party leader just like other RPGs?

You guys are doing a great job on the action. Hopefully I can keep fleshing out the characteristics of the world, and pull some kind of global reveal for our characters. Some people know what the orb is and others don't, but I guess that is mostly for the GM to decide.

22. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Well, I've got a bit of something to throw in once Drake and Riley run into Atlas and Thatratar, and I'm not sure where it'll take us from there.

Also, a note about knowledge of the orb: in one of Rapaz's posts, Igor mentioned the orb. Does he know what it is? I just don't remember any prior mentioning of it by him and I wanted to clarify.

23. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Somewhat, and somewhat not. There will definitely be factions, but I doubt everyone will come together. For example, I doubt Atlas would be compatible with Igor or Leila (only judging by personalities here), and Riley has already had a tiny bit of a dispute with Magnafire. And don't forget about Faramar and Eslana. They've already started attacking each other.

According to his first post, Igor is after the orb itself. Igor, Thum, and Thatratar know there is an orb, and are after it. I'm not sure about the rest.

24. losthawken

I am continually impressed with you all, I expect you ALL to progress out into more typical games as they open, there's so much talent here!

@MrMr: I really like Thum, he seems like a cross between a Navi and something out of DarkSpore. But his portal was implied to have been created by his race instead of by the Orb. Is it distinct from the other portals? Can he go back through it to his own world? Just curious :)

I'm very curious as to how this is going to go as well. There is one challenge I see ahead that I'm not quite sure how to over come as of yet. At the close of this chapter someone will get a hold of the Orb. Originally I figured it would be a battle with and between four to six players at most. It doesn't seem possible to have all 10+ of you converge on Magnalian at once. Right now, I'm thinking that I may have to require you to have 'death matches' before you get to Magnalian, the losers don't have to literally die. They will just be set back, get to Magnalian too late, and have to chase down the next Orb holder in the next world.

Your thoughts?

25. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

I like that idea, since we are somewhat paired off as it is. Spreading strife and conflict throughout the different groups could definitely solve that problem and "eliminate" some of us for the time being.