ORB OF PYRITUS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by losthawken, Feb 3, 2012.

1. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Just one: How will it be determined who will win these death matches? Things would seem quite unbalanced if two certain characters got into a fight (Pyree vs. Thum or Faramar), and gives some characters nearly no chance of success against others.

2. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

Yes, Igor is indeed after the orb.

A possible explanation would be that since the Orb seems to "lure" people mentally, Igor would have a stronger connection with it.

My only small worry right now is that I'm expressing some of Igor "secret" plots in his posts. And even though you're supposed to act like you don't know about them you'll still be aware of it when writing, which might affect how you react.

3. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Oh something happened, I guess I'll have a look then. And as for Magnafire and Riley's dispute, it should be expected, as i have hidden a lot about Magnafire, hopefully as this furthers you will learn more of my Magnan. He is also a reasonable guy but for him to take on Riley... i think it would be quite a standoff, and it would require a lot of push for Magnafire to turn against the man. I'm more concentrating on Thrathatar (sorry if i spelt it wrong) two sentient swords may not be willing to be friends, and with Blade Edge in its current mood, then who knows what will happen.

4. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

I PMed you Mr Mr.

5. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Lets change them to being called elimination rounds. Its important to distinguish between player success and character success. It is very conceivable that a character can lose a battle while his player wins. Success for the player is about writing. The losing character of a winning player could get blasted closer to the Orb, while the winning character gets misdirected away.

I'm still deliberating about it all. I'm not a big fan of this whole winner-vs-loser thing. It kind of kills the atmosphere of camaraderie and teamwork. I'm not sure how to do it any other way though.

6. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

@Losthawken i agree with this, but it could be that the winning player who loses the fight gets a unique reward, it could even judged by those reading it. It reminds me of another forum where the writing and the use of enviroment and stuff was judged. Its a suggestion. And teamwork in this is important, its like creating rapport, except not in drama.

7. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

We don't have a good system for formally allowing the readers to judge player posts (in this part of the forum), but I have been reading them all and listening to the comments here. I may ask for an informal vote from the group when the time comes, but the decisions will be made my me as GM based on my own opinion and the impressions I get from the group.

For now, your characters all need to be focused on getting organized and getting through the jungle.

8. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

ok, well that sounds like a plan... oh just remembered Magnafire's been through forests but never jungles.

9. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

The whole winning-losing things sounds pretty complicated, but I guess it's up to Hawken as GM to make the final decision. Although I do think it should be more based on writing style and creativity.

I'll be working on my next post for the next few class periods, and hopefully get it up either during my Government class or once I get home. Doing a bit of a collaboration with Magnan before we encounter Atlas and Thatratar. Although I believe that Exclusive still has to post after Atlas stumbles upon Thatratar; Cheddar's post is the last I remember on that topic.

10. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Yeah, I haven't spoken to Exclusive for a while. He must be a little busy. I hope he doesn't take too long.

I just realised that Thatratar is about as tall as Atlas himself. It paints a funny picture.

I'll be looking forwards to the next few posts.

11. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Hey Mr. Mr. I noticed you've written these two passages:
    I was working with the concept that this "alternate dimension" the portals led to operated under different physics from the world my character previously lived in. The key element being, that my character couldn't manipulate gravity like she should be able to. But I don't want to exclude a key element of your character. I've got some great Ideas for if/when our characters interact, but I don't want to mess with the continuity of the story.
    Should we develop some kind of work around to include gravity control again?

12. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

I've rarely been able to keep up with a roleplay and I've only ever completed one, but you people here, are probably the best I have collaborated with. In area of creativity and idea generation.

13. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

I totally agree, the interactions thus far have given me plenty to work with. Lots of unique characters and the ideas just bubble forth. One second I think my character is losing her sanity, and the next I have something to work with.

14. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

I'm liking the new additions by Areadrill and naturemage. That's an interesting turn of events. Nice job guys!

15. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Thanks! I am curious as to what path this is going to take aswell and I think that Faramar and Eslana could be a good team.

16. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Just read the newest posts, and I like where this is going! Very nice additions by everyone!

I'm working on my next post now, so it should be up in a little bit.

17. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Ha, it looks like there's going to be a flurry of plot progression. Exclusive and I are planning our next moves this very minute.

18. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Losthawken - I'm intending for his communication device to be broken so he can't contact them (for now). I'm not sure whether it'll be two way.

GaleSkies - The world I Thum's from has the same physics as earth/our world but a work around would be a good idea aswell.

How do we intend to handle player fights, it might be a good idea to pick the winner before hand then coreograph. Also are we allowed to kill of one character and start another?

19. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

It's 3am over here and I just can't go to sleep until I read backbiter's new post...

20. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Perhaps a character fight can be resolved by picking the winner through PMing, but like losthawken said, the player "victory" is up to him. Also, I'm guessing the owner of a certain character can kill his/her own character off if they wanted, but I don't think that'll be happening often, seeing the amount of effort put into the characters.

21. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Don't worry, it shouldn't be too much longer now! Your enthusiasm and anticipation is flattering, though. :p

Hmmm...interesting prospect. Maybe later on in the story - after Riley has played a fair enough role, of course - I'll kill him off and switch him out for one of my other characters. Not for a while, though.

22. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Just a guess, of course. I suggest confirming with losthawken first.

23. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Got my next post up! So excited about all your character's stories. And, by the way, Gale and I exchanged ideas over PM, so I controlled Pyree's reaction with permission. :)

24. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Excellent post, Jess! I'm liking the conflict between the two characters, I'm really interested to see where this leads!

I do have some unfortunate news, however. I am almost done with my next post, but I think I'll have to post it up tomorrow. I was planning on sending it to Magnan first to confirm some details, and he's not currently online. I know, I know; I'm sorry to leave you all hanging like this. Trust me, the suspense is killing me too.

As soon as I get a reply from Magnan, I'll have it up.

25. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Very nice post! I'm eager to see what happens next.

That's unfortunate. But it is worth the wait if it means precise details, right?

Cheers.