Outside of writing, what's your hobby?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by VirtuallyRealistic, May 12, 2015.

1. VirtuallyRealistic

VirtuallyRealistic Active Member

I love programming, but like you I don't want to get stuck in a rut. I have a stronger passion for storytelling than I do for programming, but I happen to be better at programming than writing. This is why I think the game industry is ideal for me. Able to put both my passion and abilities to work in harmony.

2. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

I think that's a great plan, VR, and agree whole heartedly. I look forward to seeing what you can do :agreed:

One thing I'd like to try - even though I am very later to the party - is a mod for a game like Skyrim. A character and a story line then some basic acting and see if I can get someone else to do some voice acting etc, etc.

VirtuallyRealistic likes this.
  3. VirtuallyRealistic

I've fiddled with Skyrim modding. Haven't released anything, but perhaps I still will at some point. I was excited when they announced paid mods for Skyrim on Steam, but then they backtracked. Now I don't have the incentive to do it anymore. I don't care much for Papyrus (The language used for Skryim modding), though.

4. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Yeah I was kinda weirded out why they had this brilliant opportunity to generate an ongoing revenue stream and turn the game into a cash cow whilst helping indie developers earn a living ... and ignored it.

I missed the mod sale announcement, but then had to research it when I saw some mod youtube vids discussing the ending of the idea. Whaaat?

Turns out they got people to produce "mods" for sale, with the following flaws:
    * a few weeks to make them (they were crap, mostly, apparently)
    * given carte blance to use other people's mod content
    * mod developer was going to get 25% (faarrrk) and 75% to go to steam / bethesda
    * you could only do it by invitation - and they invited unkown, non-skyrim modders (they were crap, mostly, apparently)

I have the skyrim modding software on my computer, and it crashes if I alt+tab to a different app and then return. So they would need to do some serious work for me to want to do it as a living. Looks like they load the entire asset library into memory too, which is revoltingly slow and cumbersome, and no doubt the source of weird errors people get.

Still a cash cow possibility. Still think they are silly for ignoring it.

5. UpstateWriter

UpstateWriter Member

I have an aquarium, too. Five angel fish. Other hobbies include photography, camping, hiking.

6. VirtuallyRealistic

The internet collectively cried in terror when the paid mods were announce. Especially when Bethesda set the cut to 25/75. However, I think it's fair. Bethesda put millions of dollars into making Skyrim's modability so accessible. However, if a modder spends a year creating 50 hours of extra gameplay I think the cut should be negotiable.

I didn't know it was by invitation; that's awful. It seems like they'd be missing out on a lot of additional revenue doing that.

Besides the initial loading of assets I've had good luck with the Creation Kit. It's never crashed on me, but I don't alt+tab out often so that may be why. Only thing I dislike about it is the render window as it's a bit clunky. I've began to get the hang of it now, though, so it's not too bad. I don't see myself doing anything substantial unless paid mods return which I don't expect will happen.

Valve wants to maintain their respectable image which is why I think they removed it. The outcry was pretty intense, but I think people would have gotten over it. People were beginning to compare them to EA, though, and they really don't want that haha.

7. b3av3r

b3av3r Member

Before my wreck I enjoyed riding my motorcycle, shooting my pistols, and practicing my golf swing.

I can't do those things anymore. I still enjoy playing video games, playing with the dogs, and lately I have started spending a lot of time just relaxing outside in the sun.

8. VirtuallyRealistic

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you are well.

9. b3av3r

b3av3r Member

Thanks, I'm put back together as well as the doctors can manage. Much better off than I was but not anywhere near 100%.

10. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I'm sorry to hear this :/ Shooting pistols is fun. And do you have a great dane -- or two? Those doggies are really cool. :)

11. b3av3r

b3av3r Member

I have 1 Dane and two little doggies. The Dane makes a useful cane from time to time and he helps me get up off the floor when I need to get something under the bed, sofa, etc.

KaTrian likes this.
  12. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

I play an unhealthy amount of Minecraft or Fighting Games. When I'm not doing that I'm working on indie games and music.

I'm working on being less hermit like.

13. VirtuallyRealistic

I can't get into Minecraft anymore. I played it back in Alpha, but around beta I lost interest. It amazes me how popular it became, though. It's a cultural phenomena now, making Notch a billionaire. Such a simple concept, and an easy game to make. It's an inspiration.

14. DeathandGrim

I applaud his ambition. It shows even small indie devs like myself can make it big with just one cool concept. That's how FNAF got so popular.

15. VirtuallyRealistic

With both Minecraft and FNAF's success I'm convinced famous youtubers are the best marketing technique. Minecraft was huge amongst youtubers, and now it's one of the most successful games of all time. Same thing goes for FNAF. I plan to use this as a marketing tool when I finish my first game.

16. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Drinking tea, reading books, listening to melodic death metal, and contemplating just how many socially taboo activities are similar to well accepted ones. It gets rather depressing at times.

17. DeathandGrim

If you need a tester I'd be glad to

18. pachap

pachap New Member

I used to play guitar and had a really nice rig. I also used to ride motorcycles a lot and would go on nice weekend trips where I did my best to get lost and then try and find my way back home. But about 2 years I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and it is worse than I ever thought it would be. If I didn't have such a forgiving employer I probably would have lost my job a long time ago.

Now, I love to read and write. I am working on a novel and taking advice here to polish off a few short stories I had in the bank.

I also love to go kayaking and fishing. I suck at fishing. The only thing I ever catch are huge mudish (aka bowfin, grendel, dogfish, etc.).

I love spending time with my children. My 3 year old son loves nothing better than playing in the back yard. My daughter is 12 and I love going to see her play softball. Me and her are going on a daddy-daughter date tonight. I am taking her to minor-league baseball game.

19. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

I watch anime.
    But my number one hobbie I'd say is to draw comics and cartoon strips. I started with them way before I got into writing.
    Here is one I've drawn for New Year's Eve:

Attached Files:

Ivana likes this.
  20. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I play Video Games and Magic The Gathering. :p:p:p I play Clarinet and Guitar, in which i also enjoy composing new musical pieces for both instruments and i write song lyrics as another way to get some creativity flowing. I also make Movies, watch Baseball and overall just hanging out with friends. There's no limit on what i do. Some days i just enjoy screwing around!

21. Deloctyte

Deloctyte Member

Designing and playing games (Be they board or electronic), watching stuff, hypnosis, drawing, really, if it's nerdy, I'm probably all over it.

22. uncephalized

uncephalized Active Member

Very cool to hear several people here are working on game development!

I just started work on a JavaScript/WebGL-based 3D game engine for the browser. So far it's moving slowly but I I am gradually picking up momentum. Eventually I hope to use my engine to build the fantasy action-RPG/grand strategy game concept I've been cooking up for a while now. All in due time... and I'll probably need to build a team once I start developing...

Other than writing and messing about with JavaScript, I play my ukulele and guitar frequently, write songs, and am just getting into gardening with my wife. And I read a lot of books. Mostly spec fic, some non-fiction.

And I spend too much time on forums. :p

23. Bookish_Introvert

Bookish_Introvert Member

I write songs, poetry, I'm attempting to keep up a terrarium and a container herb garden, I read a lot, I binge-watch a lot, I collect comic books and graphic novels, and I do dream interpretations.

24. Sunny1000

Sunny1000 Member

Video games, dancing, doing weights (new one since I finally found a gym that wasn't filled with obnoxious gits), board games, read, day-dream, sleep, take pictures of stupid shit and send it to my friends, play instruments. I would like to teach myself the cyr wheel, but I have yet to buy the equipment.

So many things to do and enjoy!

25. PlsSenpai

PlsSenpai New Member

I game quite a bit, and record for YouTube too although writing now has most of my attention.