Tags:
  1. peachytea

peachytea New Member

Painless poison that can be administered through an IV

Discussion in 'Research' started by peachytea, Dec 30, 2021.

Hello!

I am currently writing a story in which the main character considers mercy-killing his past lover, who is in a coma. Does anyone know of a painless poison that can be given through an IV line and that kills quickly enough that treatment will not help once the effects start to show? If it helps, the main is a biomedical engineer.

Any input is appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  2. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Sleeping pills. dont ask me which ones, because i know nothing about sleeping pills lol.... but on How To Get Away With Murder, a character with stage 4 cancer wanted to end her life and asked for sleeping pills.
    As to injection into IV, if you look up Kevorkian's Thanatron, it has the drugs he used to euthanize his patients via IV:
    "It worked by pushing a button to deliver the euthanizing drugs mechanically through an IV. It had three canisters mounted on a metal frame. Each bottle had a syringe that connected to a single IV line in the person's arm. One contained saline, one contained a sleep-inducing barbiturate called sodium thiopental and the last a lethal mixture of potassium chloride, which immediately stopped the heart, and pancuronium bromide, a paralytic medication to prevent spasms during the dying process." [Wikipedia]

3. peachytea

peachytea New Member

Alright, thank you so much! This will really help me with the accuracy in my story.