Pakistan's Bhutto assassinated

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Dec 27, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I have no interest to force my opinion on anyone. I'm glad to know we agree on that. :)

Well, Cogito, my Dad's first speculation is kind of forming true if that happens. He said the elections would be on 4th March - lol. Ain't that bad.

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Damn. There goes the neighbourhood.

3. Charisma

According to my Dad's speculations (I don't believe in foretellings and junk, but it's supposed to be a structured expection of what is to happen, nothing else), there's going to be a lot of rioting. God I know I'm going to die but this quick - well I had it in mind - but still, whoa.

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Who can the West rally behind?
    They tried it with Bhutto and she's dead now. Who's her political successors are her twenty year old son, who is currently in Britain, and her husband. Are they influential enough to rally support? Who knows.
    The West will likely support them, it doesn't have much choice. But they also have to support Musharraf until a true successor appears. Musharraf controls the military. If the West removes their support from him and gives it all to the people, Musharraf closes the border and moves against the people. The people start dying, and either the West sits back and watches, or they enter Pakistan in force.
    As I said earlier for the last 7 years Musharraf has been the only figure in Pakistan worth talking to. The West and Bush were trying to make another person available. It failed. They're back to stage one.
    So how does the West support the people?
    If it's too bold Musharraf stops all contact with the West. If the West moves in a way that seems hostile to Pakistan, even in support of the people, it has 160 million people banding together to force out the invaders. If it does nothing, Pakistan continues its downward spiral.
    The best option is to work with Musharraf and any civilian politicians willing to work to form a stable government.
    Its not nice, and its not clean, but its the only option left that might prevent large amounts of bloodshed.

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

People do this all the time. You take the factors in a given situation, look at the people, groups, and ideas involved and you try to predict how they will come out. I do it all the time when it comes to politics.
    Unfortunately if you don't know the full story you usually end up wrong. Even when you do know everything you could still be wrong because someone doesn't play their proper role.
    Its fun to do when you are away from the problem and doing it in your free time. Doing it when you are in the middle of the problem is just being intelligent.

6. Neo

Neo Member

Shame about Bhutto. Now, the country is in for real trouble.

7. Charisma

That's what even I do. But he gave DATES. That's weird.

Well, thanks for the encouragement Neo. Sorry, I'm just a little sarcastic right now.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

elections will be rigged, no matter when they're held, unless 'mushy' is deposed [or shot/blown up]... he can't afford to have an honest election... and when it is held, if the rigging holds and no one else has a chance to win, then the civil unrest may begin in earnest, if the ppp can maintain the momentum that's been kick-started by bhutto's martyrdom...

the sad thing is that they're now saying her eldest son may take over the leadership of the party... at only 19, he's way too young and i'm sure not committed/passionate enough about it to do any good as more than a figurehead, which never bodes well...

9. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

It's sad, but it was going to happen sooner or later. Maybe not until three months from now, but it was coming.

It's a shame though, one of Pakistan's strongest political leaders killed for trying to give freedom to people.

10. Hulk

Hulk Banned

I second that.

11. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

In a new video, released publicly yesterday, Benazir Bhutto is clearly showed to be assassinated by gun shots, and not as the government adamantly claimed to be, her head slamming against her vehicle by the explosion of the bomb.

12. Charisma

Yeah. The government is just trying to face-save.
    Also, Nawaz considers Mushy the root of all problems.
    Also, my school reopens at 7th.
    Also, my Dad thinks we'll die very soon. (he never restrains from negative thinking).

13. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Oh the joy. Happy new year to you too dad! and feel the love in THAT room!

poor thing.

And I think it's terrible what happened. I know I don't know the whole story and what she has done for the country, but still- very terrible.

14. Raven

Raven Banned

They will previal as long as they are determined.

15. Raven

Raven Banned

Me.....

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I found that amazing. How stupid is it to lie about something like that which happened in a crowd, in this age of pervasive video and camera cell phones?

17. Charisma

Pretty. Especially since the distance between the bomb blast and the car was HUGE (for a suicide manual bomb).

18. Cogito

What was interesting was that the video showed a pair of assassins. One fired the gun, the other next to him was wearing the bomb.

19. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Musharraf is gone because of this.
    If he hadn't lied, he might have been able to pull something off that would let him retain some or most of his power. Now the ordinary people won't support him, and with his already weak position he needed the people to provide some stability.
    Bye bye Musharraf.

20. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

I have looked at the video more closely and read some thoughts on the issue, I think I'm changing my mind.
    From various things she does, and the lack of a spray of blood, she may not have been hit by a bullet. But the explosion occurred while she was still ducking. That could have jammed her head into the window latch.
    They need to open up the coffin and do a good documented autopsy to confirm what happened.

21. Cogito

The video shows her head jerking back after one of the gunshots. She then dropped down through the sunroof BEFORE the bomb went off (she was below the rook level well before the bomb flash that washed out any further video). Also, there was pooled blood on the seat (separate photograph). Initial medical examiner's report is consistent with that (shots struck her in the neck and the head).

22. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

She could have been flinching. Her head jerked at the same time as the gunshot was heard. Most bullets travel faster then sound, so its possible she was reacting to a near miss.
    Also some people think they see her pause as she is going down which would put her at the right level to be slammed into the latch.
    And its a head wound they bleed profusely so that is still consistent with a fractured skull.

I have no idea what actually happened. All I can say is Musharraf had better disinter the corpse, and let everyone who isn't close to him investigate it thoroughly. He may be proven correct. But as of right now he looks like a lier to too many people.

23. Cogito

Her head was definitely below the hatch before the blast. the flash was noticebly later than when her head was no longer visible.

The presence of a separate shooter from the bomber constitutes a conspiracy; as soon as that word is used, people look uneasily at government.

24. Charisma

Don't worry. Mushy will still manage to stay,tension notted (I know it's wrong).
    Anyway, chances are she were shot, because hitting the lever or any other part of the car cannot fracture her skull unless she was pushed against the force of teh bomb, which is not possible:
    (a) due to the distance and (b) she fell before the explosion.
    But who cares. All I care is about the people right now.

25. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

That's absolutely correct.