paragraphs with commas throughout

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Rose Hunt, Oct 10, 2012.

1. UberNoodle

UberNoodle New Member

Like another poster said, longer sentences with commas are fine, but don't get repetitive. And think about the sentences structures you choose as other layers with which to tell the story and express character and events, like brushstrokes on a canvas.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

cramming too much into one sentence
    gluing more than one sentence together into one
    scramble syntax [wrong order of phrases]

3. Rose Hunt

Rose Hunt Member

I will definately have to take a look. Now I am feeling a little worried over my writing style. :((

4. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    There are rules. And there are lots of things that people think are rules that are not rules. The style guides disagree with each other. The "rules" are not the same now as they were when I was at school (which is why younger readers often think I use too many commas).

So get a good style guide that you think you can work with, and punctuate according to that style guide's rules -- but check for ambiguity, because although good punctuation can eliminate ambiguity, nobody has yet found a way to do that with rules alone. And be tolerant of people who punctuate differently: they may well be working to a set of rules that has as much claim to legitimacy as yours.