Pax

Discussion in 'Archive' started by jonathan hernandez13, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebby

Lebby New Member

"So what'll the entertainment be for today's flight, my unkempt friend? 'Dumb****s in Space' or 'Centauri V'?"

I Noticed the way he snickered at Nathan, and was about to apologise and greet him when he turned away to another boot. I sighed, and rubbed my eyes.

"Word to the wise JJ, the night before your first assignment, do not get smashed on cheap booze, and spend the night fooling around with some flexible floozy," I chuckled, but felt fatigue clawing at me, "Something about wild black hair and big brown eyes, drives me wild. Big tits help too." I sat up straight in my seat, and tried to stay awake by adressing everyone in the cabin.

"FRIENDS! Recruits! Countrymen! Lend Me your ears! Today we embark on the greatest adventure of our time! Today, we burst from earths constraining bonds, and plunge into a Galaxy of wonders, peril, and getting the crap kicked out of you by superior officers! Today, we make something of our worthless lives! Today we fight for Earth and all her colonies!" I let a hint of sarcasm drop into my voice, "Today we represent the Noble UEAF with it's hardened veterans, and shouty officers! This is the day we become MEN! Or very strong minded woman in Trins case... NEVERTHELESS! The Galaxy better be ready, Because we're coming its way! HUAH?"

A raised my arm in the air, now wide awake. I did always like speeches.

2. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Pappy and Carlson were seated at the forward cabin and talking about official stuff, most of it too low to be heard. The UEAF was always short officers and really needed some newbees, according to the rumors the brief peroid of peace enjoyed in the galaxy was under assault from a hundred directions. There would be no shortage of missions but only so many people to shuffle around.

"Whadda you think of the misfits Chief, you see potential in them?" Carlson asked.

"Absolutely sir, I was a hell of a lot more rowdy my first tour. I know that the Aerospace Force doesn't let idiots in; they're all smart, fit, and well trained. They're the future of the Fleet."

"That's what I'm afraid of." Carlson muttered. A shout could be heard from the back.

"FRIENDS! Recruits! Countrymen! Lend Me your ears! Today we embark on the greatest adventure of our time! Today, we burst from earths constraining bonds, and plunge into a Galaxy of wonders, peril, and getting the crap kicked out of you by superior officers! Today, we make something of our worthless lives! Today we fight for Earth and all her colonies!" I let a hint of sarcasm drop into my voice, "Today we represent the Noble UEAF with it's hardened veterans, and shouty officers! This is the day we become MEN! Or very strong minded woman in Trins case... NEVERTHELESS! The Galaxy better be ready, Because we're coming its way! HUAH?"

Carlson rolled his eyes, Pappy chuckled and slapped his knee.

"Boots never do change, it's okay sir, at least they're motivated."

"What if it's false motivation?"

"Even false motivation is better than none."

The Aerospace transport shuttle taxis and takes off. At first the ride is smooth and like an average airplane ride, but then the shuttle's fusion boosters kick in and the craft begins to accelerate considerably. The gravities are intense, but you have been trained in simulators and can handle much worse.

Before long you notice not only that your ears are popping from the lose of pressure but that everything seems weightless. Hopefully you have remembered to take your space sickness pills, about one in ten get sick. The view out the cabin window shows a empty, infinetly black background and a blue green majestic ball that is slowly fading away behind you. You start to see stars twinkling in the distance, winking like the eyes of a cat. You find it hard to tear your eyes away from it, the stars are very vain and jealous...

3. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

Trin stares outside her cabin window to the deep space and the distancing planet, and the millions of stars.

Talking to one in particular, most likely herself, "So many more interesting things to see once you get all that 'sky' out of the way. So many more places to go, so much to do."

Trin unlatched her her seat and fold a comfortable angle to look out the window, yet stay in one place. The thrills of zero-gravity had long since past in her life. She decided she might let the calm of space put her to sleep till she got there. Whether or not it was possible to sleep when your that excited is not really known, but she was happy enough as it was to maybe make it possible. Unless, of course, someone talked her, but she wouldn't really mind that anyways.

4. Roric

Roric New Member

Take a left... the a right... then go in 5 circles
    The launch into space was nothing unusual, the same was true for the starts; they were forever constant in the sky. Austin had finished updating a large set of data on his PDD and safely re-activated the security and stored it in his pocket. He passed the time by staring out at the stars, naming as many as he could. The speeches and riotous conversations the others were having were only somewhat annoying, it was nice to have a little light-hearted fun in the serious world they lived in. Austin continued to ponder what this first mission meant to his comrades, if they agreed to the seriousness of business or if they actually thought it would be a walk in the park.

5. Nikhil

Nikhil New Member

After intense waiting, the space-ship had launched into the air. It was like any average airplane ride which he hated quite a lot. His ears experienced sudden bursts of pain. He tried in vain to hide his pain and began to swallow his saliva inside. Swallowing pained for a second but the pain in his ears suppressed. He repeated it a few more times. The pain was now considerably decreased.

"Now prepare for the enjoyment," he thought as the ship accelerated really fast. The pressure was nothing but the pain in ears was manifolded. He put his hands over his ears and closed his eyes shut.

"Ignore it, ignore the pain, it will be alright after sometime," he mumbled.

6. NRG

NRG New Member

He had dreamed of this moment for years and now, Nathan Brown was in space. It was amazing, indescribable and Nathan would have given anything for it never to end. He turned to Arc. "This is great isn't-" Nathan stopped when he noticed how red Arc's face was. "You alright buddy?"

7. Headroller

Headroller New Member

OCC: Sorry, I was a bit busy today, JJ would've responded to the introduction NRG, so I'm gonna write that bit out.

"Hi, my name's Nathan Brown."

I turned back to Poster Boy and introduced myself neutrally, "Good ta meet you Nate, you can call me JJ. And this sorry excuse of an officer is David," I pointed over to my neighbor.

"Any tips for takeoff?"

Before I could respond, Trin broke in giving him a good dressing down. I chuckled to myself, Have you heard of the word tact lovely? But David was seeking my attention now. I raised my eyebrow in response to David's recounting of his nightime adventures, completely ignoring my earlier question. And then he started to spew a speech about the adventure of space. "Huah!" I said in half-hearted reply.

Almost as soon as the speech ended, the ship started accelerating down the runway for it's atmosphere climb. I pulled out a pair of earplugs before we hit the ships boosters. As the boosters hit, I saw someone grab his ears in pain, "Ignore it, ignore the pain, it will be alright after sometime."

Idiot, your arms are going to break.

The acceleration increased, the artificial gravities produced pushing us deep into our chairs and my head was forced back to looking straight ahead. After a moment of weighing something like a ton, the boosters cut out, and the wonder of Zero-G kicked in.

"Ah, that was fun..." I sighed.

OCC: Edit, sorry for the mixup...

8. NRG

NRG New Member

OOC: Headroller, it was Arc who was mumbling about the pain, not Nathan.

Arc remained mumbling about pain but the others seemed fine.

9. Lebby

Lebby New Member

OOC: Carter has always been called by his last name, he'll probably make this clear to you guys :D

I whooped with the exhiliration that accompanied a ship breaking from the atmosphere. I had been on a few of the ships which my father commanded, and although they were much faster, the small transport still packed a surprising punch. Now wide awake I looked around. One of the other midshipmen, Arc, looked deathly pale, and Nathan was trying to comfort him. I smiled and looked out the window. Space. It never lost it's haunting majesty. The stars twinkled in the blanket of nothingness. I tapped the window, before withdrawing my notepad. I quickly scribbled down how I felt, and briefly described the vista splayed before me.

"Ah, that was fun"

"Indeed," I replied quietly, stunned by space. I then was self conscious of my silence, and turned back to JJ.

"Somewhere out there JJ," I spoke as I wrote, "is a planet for me, a home for me, and a beautiful woman for me." I put away my pen, and notepad, and looked wistfully into space. "Sure makes you think doesn't it?"

10. NRG

NRG New Member

Nathan looked around. Trin was looking out the window, looked like she was deep in thought so he decided not to bother her. Arc was still looking sick, David was writing something down and talking to JJ. He was about to give up the idea of talking to anyone when he noticed a pale officer with brown hair whom he could vaguely remember from training. Nathan searched his memory for a name and came up with Austin. "Hi, Austin isn't it?"

Nathan prayed he had gotten the name right.

11. NRG

NRG New Member

Nathan looked around. Trin was looking out the window, looked like she was deep in thought so he decided not to bother her. Arc was still looking sick, David was writing something down and talking to JJ. He was about to give up the idea of talking to anyone when he noticed a pale officer with brown hair whom he could vaguely remember from training. Nathan searched his memory for a name and came up with Austin. "Hi, Austin isn't it?"

Nathan prayed he had gotten the name right.

12. Evil Flamingo

Somewhere out there JJ," I spoke as I wrote, "is a planet for me, a home for me, and a beautiful woman for me.

Trin heard Carter start this reflection and thought of what she really wanted out of this. A ship, a vessel to call my own. My home. "My own home."

Maybe this crew would be tolerable she was also thinking. They're the most random collection I've seen, usually all there were were ten Carter's roaming around, but this crew seemed interesting enough. We'll see after our assignments here.

She looked over the guys, who were all getting to know each other now. What an odd bunch.

13. Headroller

Headroller New Member

"Somewhere out there JJ," I spoke as I wrote, "is a planet for me, a home for me, and a beautiful woman for me.

From behind me, I heard Trin say almost to herself, "My own home."

I thought a moment, strumming my fingers on the buckle of the seat. "Well, we'll all see that place someday. The Universe isn't endless, but we'll have more than enough to choose from. Heck, we might've already met what we're looking for..."

I meant of course, Earth.

14. Lebby

Lebby New Member

"Well, we'll all see that place someday. The Universe isn't endless, but we'll have more than enough to choose from. Heck, we might've already met what we're looking for..."

I raised my eyebrow, "Earth? Nothing but heartbreaks and hangovers back there!"

I sniggered, "No, your right, ain't no place like home. Earth is nice enough, but the grass is always greener on the otherside!"

I started to hum a catchy tune under my breath.

15. Evil Flamingo

Heck, we might've already met what we're looking for...

"I don't know what you're looking for," Trin said, looking directly at the officer now, "but I've met what I've been searching for a thousand times over. It's the obtaining of it that's difficult."

Trin scratched the scar on the back of her head slightly, and quickly replaced the action by brushing her hair over her ear.

16. Headroller

Headroller New Member

"No, your right, ain't no place like home. Earth is nice enough, but the grass is always greener on the otherside!"

I grinned at his enthusiasm, but was a bit disappointed by his naivete. Fell right into the gambler's fallacy.

"I don't know what you're looking for," Trin said, looking directly at the officer now, "but I've met what I've been searching for a thousand times over. It's the obtaining of it that's difficult."

I turned around to see her brushing her hair a little nervously, something must be bothering her. "Maybe for some, but I think the difficulty
    makes it worthwhile. Something earned, not given or simply found, wouldn't you agree?" I flashed her a brief flirtatious smile, but it died on my lips. This was a far too serious subject for her. David seemed carefree of his fate however.

Whats out there waiting for me I wonder? Happiness? Or a grim end?

17. Evil Flamingo

Maybe for some, but I think the difficulty makes it worthwhile. Something earned, not given or simply found, wouldn't you agree?

That was exactly the answer she wanted to hear, and no where near what she expected. Trin flicked a smile at him and then looked out the window.

"More than you know."

18. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

The flight was not long, but after the rough takeoff, the flight was smooth in micro and zero gravity. The ride was almost peaceful enough to fall asleep in, which Pappy did as the Training officer, Lt. Carlson chatted with the crew men in the navigation cabin. Carlson came out to the sound of Pappy snoring and the midshipmen socializing.

"Good," Carlson thought.

"Become friends, better that than enemies. Watch each others' backs, become your brothers' (and sisters') keepers."

The shuttle begins to approach the L2 station. It began as a small metal pinprick in space, twinkling like a star that seemed to grow larger and larger. It becomes a blurry metal disc, and then details appear, like the rings that rotate to simulate gravity via centrifugal force. The station was spinning majestically, like some sort of Ferris wheel in space. The shuttle was aiming for the hub at the center of the big Ferris wheel, at the docking stations where the centrifugal forces were minimal and wouldn't fling the craft off into space.

"Wake up Pappy!" Carlson shouted. Pappy snorted and cursed under his breath. He was so close to retirement. Now more of the old routines. Hurry up and wait, dress, drill, training, dealing with wise ass boots and smart ass higher ups. It never changed, only the new faces did. The misfits seemed like a good gang at least, they would keep him young and he would keep them as sharp as iron tacks. Train them, suckle them at his teat, they would
    be his last legacy before fading away like all the legends before him.

"We'll be docking soon. Reclaim your litter, strap yourselves back in if you haven't already. What the hell is that Arc kid doing? You can get your hands away from your ears, your brains won't come out, I promise. Okay, be on your best behavior; we'll be meeting with the Operations officer, don't embarrass me and the Master Chief."

The view from outside the portholes changes dramatically, the station quickly becomes so large that it engulfs and overwhelms the senses. It's impossible to take it all in at once, its sheer scale dwarfs the imagination. The knowledge that the millions of metric tons making the station housing hundreds of thousands of people makes you feel small in comparison. The shuttle passes through an immense docking hatch large enough to fit a dozen more shuttles, you begin to hear noises again as the airlock pressurizes. Your ears pop incessantly. Outside the portholes you see the insides of the cargo hull. It's well lit but poorly kept, there are stripped vehicles on the maintenance pads, many of them have been cannibalized for parts. Budget cuts. Maintainers in suits float by, but most of the maintenance is done by robot drones. An umbilical attachment clamps onto the shuttle's egress hatch, it makes the shuttle shudder slightly.

Some loud slamming sounds are heard, as you exit the hatch you float up the umbilical attachment, which has arm rails to aid in climbing "up" towards the gravity. As you pull yourself "up" the ladder (away from the hub) you notice that it's fairly easy work, but a force seems to tug on you as you get closer to the rings. After a few minutes the force becomes more noticeable and you have to flip yourself around on the ladder so that now instead of climbing "up" it you're climbing "down" it. Luckily, the engineers of the station were clever enough to put a lift at the embarkation deck so that you don't have to climb half a kilometer down. An aerospace man on duty meets you at the embarkation lift. He salutes and gives the appropriate greeting of the day.

"Good afternoon gentlemen, good afternoon ma'am."

Carlson returns the salute.

"Good afternoon; permission to come aboard."

"Permission granted." The duty watchman said and the process repeats as the detail present identifications and boarding passes to the guard.

"The lift won't take long to reach the ring section. We'll be at one gee there, so you can shake off your space legs." Carlson smiled, Pappy grunted, like usual. You're beginning to suspect that Pappy is a bit of a one trick pony, he only knows how to be grim and more grim, but harmlessly so.

When the lift is finally done making its 500 meter race down to the ring, you feel the old familiar tug of gravity on your legs again, but it's just a simulation. The space station seems even larger on the insides than on the outside. There are streets, towns, lakes, even small forests inside. Ahead is a kind of roadblock where some Aerospace Marines have set up a security checkpoint to keep anyone getting off the lifts from getting to the station. Carson approached them.

"Lieutenant Carlson here with a detail of midshipman. We're here to see the Operations officer, Lieutenant Commander Littlefield."

"I'm sorry sir, I do not have the permission to let you through at this time."

"What? For Christ's sake, you'll make me late. I have orders to---"

"I'm sorry sir but I can't, I have my orders too you see."

"What happened here?" Pappy asked.

"I'm afraid I don't know Master Chief, but you'll just have to standby for---"

"Look Marine, you get on a radio and tell your superior that Lieutenant Carlson is here with a fresh batch of midshipmen and that we're going to get on this station even if we have to go through you. We don't have time for jurisdictional nonsense, we have official galactic duties to attend to."

"I'll contact the duty officer sir." The guard said.

"You do that." Carlson said and impatiently stomped his foot. Another one of the Marine guards came by and whispered to Carlson, loud enough for everyone to hear.

"I maybe shouldn't be saying sirs...and ma'am, but I heard a little something on the Lance Corporal underground. Scuttlebutt is around the station that the Martians have a spy somewhere on the station. Headquarters been trying to sniff them out for days, but in the meantime weird stuff's been happening around the station. Seems like we have some sabotage going on, now that's all I heard. I better get back to my post now sir."

"Carry on, Marine." Carlson bit his lip, and not typical of him, seemed worried.

"That's not good Chief. We have an Achilles class cruiser here that's been retrofitted with experimental new weapons. I was hoping that the misfits could have served on her for their first tour. With a spy running around the station who knows how many missions can be jeopardized now. If only we had a lead..."

19. Evil Flamingo

The elevator doors opened to the man-made world’s interior. An entire bustling city moved in front of Trin and all she could do of think of how huge this place must be, how many million, maybe billions of people lived and worked here. The structure was confounding, and the largest man-made object she’d ever witnessed. This place is ridiculous, absolutely amazing. Why hadn’t I ever tried to get a glimpse of this place before?

A few marines were holding a roadblock for some reason near the elevator, and not allowing Gunther or Carlson to pass. Oh what’s going on now? Carlson and the higher ranked of the two argued for a short while. After one of them left, to get someone hire up on the chain she assumed, the other marine whispered something only meant for this group of officers and Gunther to hear.

I maybe shouldn't be saying sirs...and ma'am, but I heard a little something on the Lance Corporal underground. Scuttlebutt is around the station that the Martians have a spy somewhere on the station. Headquarters been trying to sniff them out for days, but in the meantime weird stuff's been happening around the station. Seems like we have some sabotage going on, now that's all I heard. I better get back to my post now sir.

That explains this random hold-up. They must be trying to prevent anyone else who might be a spy from coming in. Trin looked up at Gunther who seemed quite concerned over the matter. It seemed inane to her at the moment, more or less because finding a single spy and a structure this large was like pinpointing specific rock on a planet of likewise color, it just wasn’t that conceivably possible. But maybe if this guy’s brazen enough to sabotage too often, he’ll leave enough clues behind. But I don’t know why I care, it’s not like it’s really our problem, is it? Then she got her answer promptly from Gunther.

That's not good Chief. We have an Achilles class cruiser here that's been retrofitted with experimental new weapons. I was hoping that the misfits could have served on her for their first tour. With a spy running around the station who knows how many missions can be jeopardized now. If only we had a lead...

An experimental ship waiting for us and this little bastard has everything locked down? She could only imagine all the different systems and apparatus to inspect aboard that ship, annoyed with this possible delay. Well maybe if we can find this guy we’ll secure our right to the vessel. Maybe if we…no…maybe if I prove myself, I’ll be a step closer to… Then Trin did something she knew didn’t even come close to wanting to do, or would think of in any other situation: Trin took the initiative.

“Well, sirs, maybe we already have a lead and just don’t know it.” What the hell am I doing? Alright, alright, calm down. This is good for you. “Where are the problems located, or with what specific systems? If there’s some way we can narrow this down, we might be able to find him…without running blindly around interrogating people.” This wasn’t what she wanted to do. Trin always lets someone else do the talking, she just follows. Just calm down, it’s good for you. You won't get noticed if you don't stand out.

20. Headroller

Headroller New Member

When the situation was explained, I loudly groaned. I don't have any time for some martian! I'm not one lets get out of here... Thats what I was thinking, until I heard the words "experimental" and "first tour". Mentally, my mind went haywire, I'm in!

“Well, sirs, maybe we already have a lead and just don’t know it. Where are the problems located, or with what specific systems? If there’s some way we can narrow this down, we might be able to find him…without running blindly around interrogating people.”

"The woman has a point. Who's in charge of the investigation?"

"Lt, Sarge, maybe we can help out once we speak to Commander Littleman."

21. Lebby

Lebby New Member

I stiffened at the mention of a Martian. Once a long time ago, I had been like so many others, filled with blind hatred. "Those savage Martian bastards!" I cried whenever their name was mentioned on the news vids. One day after a I had ranted about the Martians for an hour, about how they were inhuman, about how they had no right to exist, my father had pulled me aside and asked, "Have you ever met a martian?"

To this I had floundered. Dad told me to take a seat, he then spun me a story of the first time he ever met a Martian. It had been in one of the many border skirmishes that occurred on the fringes of Earth held space. My father had bordered a Martian warship. After the battle, after the Martian crew had surrendered, my father talked to the Captain.

"I asked the Martian Captain if he had anyone waiting for him back home," My father had said, "And do you know what he told me?"

"What?"

"He said yes. He had a wife, and two daughters waiting for him back on Mars. He showed me a picture of his wife, a pretty creature, and he showed me a drawing his daughter had sent him," My father then grinned, "And do you know what that drawing was?"

"What?" I had asked again.

"It was a drawing of the Martian captain shooting a hideous monster. And written on that hideous monsters chest, was the word 'Earthling.'" My father had then chuckled and waved me away. To this day, I have always thought of that, whenever someone spewed hatred about Martians.

"Lt, Sarge, maybe we can help out once we speak to Commander Littleman."

JJ's voice yanked me into the present. I scratched my chin.

"Thats as good of an idea as any, but uh, shouldn't we leave the counter espionage to the experts?"

22. Evil Flamingo

Thats as good of an idea as any, but uh, shouldn't we leave the counter espionage to the experts?

She looked over to Carter and tried to figure out what was going through his head. It seemed he was thinking about a lot other than the matter at hand.

"Well, hun, since we're pretty much docked because of this problem, and the 'experts' haven't caught him yet, I don't see why we wouldn't try to help out at least here." What else are we really going to other than waste time? Just go along with it, you know better.

23. Lebby

Lebby New Member

"Well, hun, since we're pretty much docked because of this problem, and the 'experts' haven't caught him yet, I don't see why we wouldn't try to help out at least here."

I looked at Trin, this was the second time she had adressed me, and the first time she had paid me any real attention.

"I know, it's just... Well I signed up to take down pirates, find lost vessels, help make the Galaxy a better place. Chasing spies, Martian spies is just... Well I'd just rather be making a difference, stopping a pirate lord, or defending one of the border colonies... I uh... Sorry, erm, just... sorry."

I cursed my hesitation.

24. Headroller

Headroller New Member

Delete for time

25. Evil Flamingo

I know, it's just... Well I signed up to take down pirates, find lost vessels, help make the Galaxy a better place. Chasing spies, Martian spies is just... Well I'd just rather be making a difference, stopping a pirate lord, or defending one of the border colonies... I uh... Sorry, erm, just... sorry.

For the second time that day she had to say the same thing. "I know what you mean...more than you know." Trin felt a sting on her scar, which gave her a small headache. She rubbed it a little, but the quickly just switched to brushing her back again. I need to stop doing that. But I can't forget...you couldn't make me. I don't want to make myself forget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.