Pay for an editor or skip it?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by GlitterRain7, Nov 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. EBohio

EBohio Banned

It depends on whether you want a professional review or just an opinion of another novice. This site tends toward the novice...people giving opinions and they aren't published themselves. Nothing wrong with that, but do they really know what they are talking about? I'd rather enroll in an inexpensive online writing course or at a community college and get advice from the instructor and fellow students. At least you know you're on the same page with what the instructor is teaching, the textbooks, etc., when your work is being discussed. I can just ask my Mom to read my stuff if I just want someone to tell me if they like it or not but they don't have any training in writing.

To be clear, the course is probably novices too but you all are studying together. You'll have to pay for a pro, but the cost can vary. Like groceries, you have to do some shopping.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

That's the worst. I'm happy to take a look - I'll PM you. :)

EBohio likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Personally if I wanted pro advice I'd rather hire a publishing professional (i.e an editor) than sign up to a course probably taught be someone who has never published anything, and advice from fellow students will just be novice advice again.

EBohio likes this.
  4. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Every publisher I've ever worked with was very eager to edit submissions themselves. Small presses to the bigger houses and with short stories, novellas, novels, etc . . . I haven't seen a single one that isn't this way. So really, you're asking if you should hire Editor A to get in the door of Editor B. (Where A has no choice, but B does with a vengeance.) And I guess that depends on your writing, but you should absolutely get another pair of eyes to read through your submission. You want as many obvious issues gone as possible. The publisher isn't there to teach you form, and some of them get irritated if there's a lot to fix. You'll die in the slush pile if, mechanically, the piece is a disaster.

If I were you I'd submit your novel to one of the peer critique sites online. You'll have to crit in return, but that can be fun. Just be aware that much of the advice is suspect. There's a lot of 90-day-novel approaches bandied about. The main thing you want is every possible typo eradicated along with tweaks for concision. Keep an open mind with advice, but know when to hold your ground on edits too.

No matter how much you edit, when your publisher gets your work, you will be revising like you never have before. Just polish as much as you can.

GlitterRain7 and EBohio like this.