1. Shawnni

Shawnni New Member

Peering Out of the Black Mining Dust of Central Queensland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shawnni, May 21, 2017.

Hi all,

Writing this first ever post here gives me the wobblies in my gut. :eek: I'm slightly anxious, true to my nature, and it is gifted by my third cup of coffee for the day.

I've been dreaming of writing since I was young. I've dabbled in it from time to time. I've helped my mother publish her last book - she was a poet. But recently deceased.

I ultimately want to learn how to express myself using my own voice. I blog but my voice stays inside when I share publicly so in my opinion I come off sounding plasticky or insincere.

I need to learn my English skills better, I'm a native speaker of English but I have no idea why a verb goes there, a comma goes here or what actually needs to be capitalised where and when. I find that whole process painful and defeating so I don't write.

I have three books that I reference on occasion, but I don't know that they are conducive to positive blog writing. They are:The Little Green Grammar Book by Tredinnick, Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose, and The Bedford Handbook - 5th addition.

I am here to seek help and when I get better I want to help others.

If you have any links or suggestions where to find such help in the English arena, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sigma Zed

Sigma Zed Active Member

Welcome to the forum!

Check out free grammar tools like Grammarly and Jetpack for Wordpress. Grammarly gives you a brief explanation on why what you wrote needs to be corrected.

Google grammar rules. That should give you some help!

Most of the people on this site are here to help. A few will be jerks, but welcome to the internet.

Good luck!

Shawnni likes this.
  3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Welcome aboard! I teach English for a living, but even so, I can get muddled at times. My go-to for simple, down to earth explanations is the Grammar Girl website. I've got no connection to it, but I've found it useful on more than one occasion.

Before you rush off there though, don't get too worried. Your posting here didn't ring any alarm bells in my head, so you're off to a decent start. Look around, get a feel for the forum, and have fun.

Shawnni likes this.
  4. Sigma Zed

Sigma Zed Active Member

Grammar Girl is good!

Shawnni likes this.
  5. Shawnni

Shawnni New Member

Thanks! I've chased Grammarly down to find out what's wrong with my program and I have gotten that fixed - although their engineers are working on some problems as I write this. :/

6. Shawnni

Shawnni New Member

Thanks Ian! I look forward to checking out that website but I will make myself more at home here and check things out as also suggested. :) I'm glad there were not screaminly obvious signs of torture to the English language. :)

7. Sigma Zed

Sigma Zed Active Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles! I hope they get sorted out soon!

8. DNav

DNav New Member

I'm brand new here too. Nice to meet you, I'm ready to poke around.