1. JustTonight

JustTonight New Member

Penelope?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by JustTonight, May 7, 2011.

My MFC's best friend's name in the present is Penny but in the past (not like last year. 200 years ago) I want it to be Penelop[EE] not Penelope and I just don't know how to write that name and I can't find it in google or anything...
    Help me please?! LOL
    Thanks ahead :)

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Er, Penelope is pronounced "Pen-el-oh-pee" forever and always and that's how everyone should read it all the time. :p

3. Leatherworth Featherfist

Leatherworth Featherfist New Member

You can just write it as "Penelope." pəˈneləpē

It sounds the same as "Penelop(EE).

Also, it's your story and you're the creator; you can spell it however you want as long as you're consistent.

If I understood your question correctly, then hopefully this helps.

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I went and looked it up before committing it to the internet, but Penelope definitely is a Greek name, and therefore needs every letter to be pronounced. My mum taught me this ages ago when I was running around calling Calliope "Cally-ope" instead of "Cal-ay-o-pee". She studied Ancient Greek, so she knows her stuff. :p

So calling her "Pen-lope" is wrong.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

greeks, however, would pronounce penelope as pen-eh-lop-eh and not as the english/americans do [pen-el-o-pee]

this, i learned from a greek sailor/chef/painter i was more or less 'with' for over a dozen years... another one we get 'wrong' is the god poseidon, which they pronounce as po-seh-don and not po-sie[as in lie]-don...

6. JustTonight

JustTonight New Member

Thanks so much to all of you :) It was really a problem for me... been driving me crazy for weeks now XD
    And by the way, if I'm not wrong it's "Pu-see-don" in greek, not "po-seh-don"

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

check it out with your greek friends... mine said it with emphasis on first syllable, that syllable's vowel pronounced as an 'o' not a 'u'...

and try what you wrote out loud... how can you stress two succeeding syllables equally?