Percy Jackson and the Olympians?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by InkDream, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Oh, I agree whole-heartedly with the Percy-Jackson-not-being-a-Harry-Potter-rip-off discussion. In fact, Rick Riordan completed the manuscript for The Lightning Thief in 1994, while J.K. Rowling completed the manuscript of The Philosopher's Stone in 1995, all the way on the other side of the pond. True, there are some similarities, but they don't go beyond themes (coming-of-age, a "chosen one", etc.). It's not as if the plot itself is similar. I mean, what, the son of a Greek god fighting against the evil Titans is a "rip-off" of a story about... well, y'all know what HP is about. :rolleyes:

2. chiank

chiank New Member

Well, i read all 5 books in 8 days ..so it is entertaining and superb novel. Its nothing like harry potter, we can get see some common thing between them, but not much. Harry potter is much much much better than Percy Jackson series.
    I gave whole series rating of 4/5

While movie sucks completely, rating 1.5/5

3. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

I saw the movie last week and I didn't like it. Mainly because the protagonist couldn't act. I haven't read the book to compare, but compared to the first HP film it does suck.

Zeus, Poseidon and the Centaure were great though. Hades... not so much. Medusa was cool (as always).

I get upset when hollywood takes mythology and turns it into a video game, but this time I honestly wouldn't have minded. The film was just not good, mythology aside.
    I'm not reading the book after this!

4. chiank

chiank New Member

Actually you should read book. It is nothing, means nothing like book. Book plot is superb. Movie didn't involve main plot, main villain, great prophecy, etc etc. Yes Luke is not main villain. In short they exclude most of the books main story line. After lightning thief, there are more 4 books, but i hope they don't make more sequels with same team. I will not say much more, since it will spoil for you the plots and story. Just read the book, i hope you will enjoy it

5. MoonlitGrowlithe

MoonlitGrowlithe New Member

I love the Percy Jackson series. I'm on the fourth one now, but they ruined the plot for the movie :(

6. MelissaL

MelissaL New Member

I never read these books, but I've always been a fan of greek mythology so I will probably see the movie soon. The only thing that bothers me a little is that I thought someone said the girl character is the daughter of Athena, but Athena is supposed to be a virgin goddess. Not a big deal, but Athena is like one of my favorite gods and I thought it would be nice if the writer stayed true to the nature of the all the gods.

7. SirSamkin

SirSamkin Member

Athena's daughter in the book wasn't "Born" in the conventional method. later in the series, she explains that athenas children are born from thought. when she meets a man who has the gift of genius, their thoughts combine to form a child.

8. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

Wow, this thread's still going, huh?

I decided to read the book and see if it entertained me or made me want to puke. I borrowed a copy so if I hate it I didn't waste any money on it. So, we'll see.

I figure I'll probably enjoy it. I enjoyed the Harry Potter series and I have no trouble differentiating between books/series, unlike some. A good read is a good read as far as I'm concerned.

1 person likes this.
  9. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I'm betting you'll like it. It's easy to read, characters are easy to sympathize with, and it has enough action to keep you turning pages. It may not be the apex of literature and originality, but it is really enjoyable.

10. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

After seeing all the good things I've heard on the books I decided to see if my university had them in their library system. The good news is that they do. The bad news is that all five of the books have multiple holds on them. :/

11. kmet

kmet New Member

My 20-something year old friend recommended them, said they were the first books in a while to make her actually laugh out loud. Still not sure where that part was. I made it through one and a half and really struggled to stay interested that long. Way too easy of a read. Best I can say: Meh. Then again, I never read Harry Potter, so not really surprised by my response. Gave it a shot, though.