1. Dirtrackfan3DH

Dirtrackfan3DH Member

Personal Book

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Dirtrackfan3DH, Aug 28, 2019.

looking at writing a story of my 25 years of life so far. (25 Years: Story of Struggles, Triumph & Overcoming Adversity..wondering what everyone thinks of the title and any advice at writing a story/memoir on yourself

2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Give people a reason to read about you. If you're a random guy/girl without something specific to draw in readers, not a sole is going to read about you without having any idea why you're important or why your story needs to be told. This needs to show in your title. It needs to have something to draw someone to grab your memoir, and then you need to have a specific direction you want to take it so they continue to read it and buy it. Otherwise, you're just writing for you, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you have a good time with it.

I also don't like your title. Every story has adversity, triumph, and struggles (redundancy). You've established that your book is indeed a story with this title, that is all. Figure out what exactly you want to write about your life, or your mentality pertaining to it, then come up with a title.

Sorry if it's harsh, but at least it's honest.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Agree with @EFMingo about the title. 25 is too few years for a memoir or to definitively state that you've overcome anything. Anyone over the age of 40 who sees that title is going to laugh and make a joke about millennials. Bear in mind I'm talking about the title only. I'm not talking about your life or whatever it is you've overcome, just the fact that the title is phrased that way. I'd use whatever it is you've overcome and phrase it into the title. That will grab people.

Shenanigator likes this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

There was a similar memoir that came out years ago. I think it was called The Quarter Life Crisis. I never read it, but you might want to check that out. One thing to keep in mind in that no one is going to want to read a 25 year old tell their whole life story. Memoirs tend to revolve around a certain incident or time. I think your idea might be a hard sell, depending on your focus. It's been a long time since I was 25 and you need to have done something more than have just lived 25 years to really have a story. You're still young. Don't expect the next 25 years to be any easier. Just a little warning there.