phobias, fears and death

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ProsonicLive, May 21, 2013.

1. Michael O

Michael O Member

Sorry dude!

No idea about centipedes and your scrotum.

2. Michael O

Michael O Member

When it's near dark and you hear a rattlesnake and not sure which way to move. Or you reach down in the dark and hear that tale-tail vibration of a snake you have alarmed in the leaves and know it could be a water moccasin or a copperhead.

Or you walk into a spider web at night and you know it's a big one in a heartbeat because you can feel the size and strength of its web and before the next heartbeat you feel something as large as one cheek crawling on your face.

I have beat the living shit outa myself several times with goo getting into my mouth and a bruised face.

All of these were a frigging rush!

3. rodney adams

rodney adams Member

I don't fear death because of my religious background.

My greatest fear is slowly being overcome. It's the fear of heights.

My greatest irrational fear is coming face to face with a demon.

4. ProsonicLive

ProsonicLive New Member

thank you so much for all of you who participated. This had a better outcome than I had hoped. My personal fear is being confined and burned alive.
    that one part in the volcano in temple of doom scared the F#$k out of me. I turned down a trip to Hawaii because of it. (traded for a trip to Alaska)

5. b3av3r

b3av3r Member

This past summer I was in a pretty terrific motorcycle accident that left me with 7 broken vertebrae, a bunch of torn up discs, and nerve damage. I was stuck in the hospital for a couple weeks and when I got out and saw what was left of my bike it was a very surreal moment. I have come to the conclusion I could have died that night which led me to two very different views on life. I have uncontrollable bursts of fear from time to time usually from a nightmare or while riding in a car. The rest of the time I am completely calm and things that did scare me don't really bother me at all. The best example of this is my fear of heights. I was terrified of heights and would freeze up to the point I could barely put one foot in front of the other. However, now heights don't bother me. I have no idea why things changed but I am kind of glad they did. I feel more comfortable in life and just assume those moments of terror are there to remind me bad things can happen.

6. Aprella

Aprella Member

the crazy thing is, that I dared so much moire around horses when I was younger. And then I stopped riding for three years, started again and well I found I was a lot less brave :p
    But I don't trust my horse... and I would have sold him and bought another one (though it will be painful, since I do love him) but my boyfriend is so in love with him and I got the horse from him... so it feels kind of wrong to sell him then :p

7. Michael O

Michael O Member

Not sure I understand. If you don't fear death does that mean you don't look before you cross the road?

8. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

bit of a weird one, but losing my mind. i think its because its the only thing thats kept me going on occasion (despite the amount of s*** its been through) and ive already said to myself, that if any circumstance i begin to lose the plot in a huge way thats it. ive no fear of death, its going to happen some time or other

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I moved this thread to the Lounge, as it isn't really a writing issue.

10. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Reading this I picture myself crawling on my flat front through a tiny tunnel like a sniper and unbeknown to me in the dark the tunnel narrowing until I'm wedged. My arms straight out in front unable to help, my legs only able to propel my body forward, tighter into the squeeze. I have the most terrible anxiety right now - what did you write that for? :eek:

11. heal41hp

heal41hp Active Member

To give us both nightmares apparently! I had a dream last night that I was on a tiny ledge 14 stories up, "reality" warping around me in an attempt to dump me off until I got into an elevator that plummeted 50 stories below the ground. Evil, evil brain...

I apologize to both of us.

12. rodney adams

rodney adams Member

No, haha that's not it at all. I meant that I'm not afraid to die. It doesn't mean that I'm reckless with my life, it just means that death isn't particularly scary for me. If I was faced with a life-or-death situation, of course I would fight for my life until my last breath, any living creature would. I'm just not afraid to die if it comes to it. I guess a better way of putting it would be that I have such inner peace, that I would not be afraid.

13. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

:eek: That is a scary scenario.

Now I remember why I don't want to join the navy and work in a submarine. Ever since Kursk sunk in '00, submarines have made me nervous. Even if I think of those hundred-odd sailors, their corpses brought to the surface a year later... *shudder*

Why do humans insist on going to places where they aren't supposed to go? Or build nuclear-powered buckets that propel around in the darkness of the sea, tons of water crushing on them, and if something fails, you can't save yourself, you can't swim to the surface! The same with airplanes; if the thing breaks, you can't get to safety (unless you're MacGyver and build an airship out of the toilet seat, napkins and a coffee machine). Your life depends on whether or not that man-made hunk of junk works. That scares me.

14. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Mr. T. wouldn't need a coffee machine :D

15. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

The coffee machine is there just in case one feels like having a cup o' joe on their way down.

16. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

needles to the neck ... fiery airplane crashes ...

17. Alan Lincoln

Alan Lincoln Active Member

Dont know if anyone outside of Britain here has seen it (and if you haven't you are fortunate) but the television series Hollyoaks and it's retarded relative Only way is Essex, Towie and crap like that makes me want to open my vitals and die. It is that bad. Even the adverts make you contemplate self immolation. Their shittiness fills me with fear and dread.

18. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The idea of being trapped in earthquake rubble when a fire breaks out crosses my mind. Smoldering bird flu (meaning it continues to exist and mutate) worries me.

19. Dave of Mars

Dave of Mars New Member

Being trapped in state of consciousness with no sensation for eternity.

20. shlunka

shlunka Member

Dying without contributing something even infinitesimal to human existence.

21. cswillson

cswillson New Member

Falling, which is kind of weird since I used to jump out of things that weren't anywhere near the ground, and MicroSoft.

22. heal41hp

heal41hp Active Member

You should be more concerned with Google, I think. I don't feel comfortable logging into anything they control...

23. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Dogs. That comes from being attacked by a loose pitbull at 4 years old. Never liked dogs nor wanted to be anywhere in the general vicinity of one ever since. I will literally cross the street if I see someone walking a dog coming toward me.

24. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Its weird.

I don't really know what I'm scared of.

I mean I can name a lot of situations where I'd be or have been scared.

But I don't really have a greatest fear that tops all others. They all sort of run together.

25. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Cars. Either being hit by one or being in an accident. More so, seeing a car hit one of my family members and not being able to do anything about it. I'm trying to fight against my fear of driving...but it's been hard.

Lightning. Ever since I was younger, the thought of being electrocuted freaked me out. I really hate thunderstorms because of that.

And not being able to breathe, either by drowning or choking. The panic from not being able to breathe is awful. :(