Physical appearances - describe or not?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by skuld, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

I think her physical appearance — as far as she is concerned — does matter in this case. She thinks she doesn't look good enough, so that expands on the bad feelings that come from the picture.

[​IMG]

If your book is in her perspective, the reader could never really know how pretty she is, and only have a vague idea based on her mood.

2. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Totally dependant on what u want to convey... if it sexual then breasts skin sweat.. all the sexy stuff... mocking then its the embarrassing underware, pimple, type.. if its empathy then scar, marks.. you control what the reader sees and how they should precive it

3. Ziggy.

Ziggy. Active Member

In all honesty, it's your choice. As for me, I will splice in information every so often regarding what my character looks like, what they're wearing, scars, eye color, but it all comes out over time. Nobody wants a big bundle of four paragraphs explaining how hairy your characters beard is.

You don't have to overly explain what characters look like, their height eye color, face, scars--anything that makes them stand out while retaining their own style of clothing or anything else. It is your choice completely how much you choose. You could give one singular description of hair, or every so often, splice in more and more information regarding their physical details.

4. skuld

skuld Member

A bit more about the character: Yes, she is overweight - not grossly but maybe about 20 pounds - and bottom-heavy (she's inherited this from her mom). I don't want to describe her underwear as tatty (no safety pin, e.g.), just cheap Walmart quality. As for her clothes....

I've just been writing a scene where her (enthusiastic and well-meaning) mother, Harriet, has just come home from work:

====
    Harriet bustled in from the garage, her arms laden with plastic Walmart bags and her cheeks pink from the brisk air outside. Her eyes were bright with excitement.

“Look!” she crowed, holding up her purchases, “They’ve just had a new shipment into the store today and I got to have first dibs on the merchandise! I even got something for you!” She handed Cindy one of the bags, adding with a girlish giggle, “I thought it was so cute I couldn’t resist getting one for myself as well!”

Cindy reached in the bag, and her heart sank. It was a mint green sweatshirt with a white johnny collar. Splashed across the front was a silkscreened picture of a praying dog captioned with a Bible verse.

“Isn’t it adorable?” her mother gushed, “and so inspirational.”

“Thanks,” Cindy muttered. “I’m going to my room now.” She knew there was no way she could never wear that in school....

===