picking a pen name

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by makdadsb, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Nee

Nee Member

I write under three names. Mostly because I have three distinct writing styles (though as time goes on I'm having to force to keep them separate--I may give in and let them merge) and there are already people using my name in the fields of my expertise so I'm pretty much stuck with the need to use pseudonyms.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

When I publish, I'll use a pen name because my real name sounds the hybrid offspring of two romance authors. It would be an excellent
    name if I wrote romance but since I don't, I don't want to create any confusion in a reader.

It would be like reaching for a horror by an author named Candy Lovelace - no matter how edgey the font - could that name ever
    scream horror?

3. Mithrandir

Mithrandir New Member

In the general vicinity of the Atlantic Ocean
    I'm considering it. My name is long, foreign, and hard to pronouce.

4. inkyliddlefingers

inkyliddlefingers New Member

I want to, but can never decide on what. I want something amazing and non-gender specific.

I write children's novels and I think the coolest name I've heard for years is Lemony Snickett.

I aspire to choosing something like this but so far it alludes me...

5. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

1. Do you use a pen name?
    Yes, because i find my writing flows if i assume another name/identity

2. If so, what is it?
    Lupa Xenon, i was told this was to cheesy, but this is a natural occurance, cause like some others, i used this name for a character, who was very much based off myself, who now wont see the light of day because she has no place in any of my work

3. Do you use a variation of your name or try something completely different?
    the only similarity is that my first name begins with L like this one, thats the only one, other than that...

6. TheDistantShip

TheDistantShip Member

Yes, Mainly because my pen name is more in line with my personality. Plus my real name sounds horribly stereotypical and its only saving grace is that I didn't pick it for myself.

7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

That's actually pretty interesting. Why do you think that is? Does it, like, remove some mental blocks to write under "a new identity?"

8. ChaosReigns

in a sense yes, normally im not really a wordy person, some can see i write, but assume its only shorter works, not the longer kind which i find come out better under the "new identity" i see it as we all have varying sides to who we are, most take up the name that we get given, some, like myself (and probably other writers) have a side that assumes another name which you only find through pen and paper (in my case).

i know it sounds a bit schizo, but arent we all schizo to a certain degree?

9. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Writers must be, we constantly assume new identities in the form of our characters. :D

I think I'd like to use my real name at some point though -- of course I use it if I write on my own. My identity is tied quite strongly to it, weird, but I could never imagine changing my first name (hint, it's in my user name, oo how clevah). In my case it'd feel like an insult against my dad who picked it. Long story. But it feels like whatever pen name I choose, it won't feel as "mine" as the birth name. But I do understand the reasons behind picking one, or changing one's name altogether. I'm gonna have to change a couple of letters in my surname at some point anyhow.

10. ChaosReigns

i may at somepoint do the same, but it will most likely be with more factual pieces (and apparantly im intelligent, pfft i say, its experience)

11. RHK

RHK Member

I've thought about using a pen name. My own legal name is quite individual already, but the problem is that hardly anyone can pronounce either my first name or last name correctly. (Though I joke from time to time that if I were famous, people might actually bother to learn how to pronounce my last name, and thus I'd be doing my family a favour.) I dunno though, maybe a last name that looks a bit alien to English eyes would be a positive bonus for an aspiring SF writer? >not convinced<

But I do kind of like the idea of writing with a pen name: a certain amount of anonymity would be liberating as I'm very conscious of censoring myself sometimes, which is incredibly annoying.
    I already know what name I'd use: it is a combination of the name my mum 'almost' gave to me and the name of a city that I have been in love with for years but have yet to visit. ;)

12. sierraromeobravo

sierraromeobravo Member

I love this thread more than when I started it. Thanks for all this great input. Keep posting! haha

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I've never really given it much thought. Anonymity is of no concern to me as I doubt very much the paparazzi will be hiding in my bushes any time soon. I write a good bit of gay erotic science fiction. I really can't see my mom stumbling across it in an internet search, and if it were to happen, my mom's cool like that. She won't 'swoon' or anything. The only reason I could see wanting to do it is that my first name is an old-fashioned Spanish name. I don't run into many fellahs' of my age named Reinaldo. I've thought of adopting the Portuguese spelling, Renaldo, just because it sounds more elegant to my ear with the nasal diphthong removed.

14. Rimuel

Rimuel New Member

I wonder....perhaps in the azure blue sky.
    Words have power. Names are words.

I personally chose a pseudonym already, even though I'm miles from being published!

15. raven6625

raven6625 Member

Try a combination of your (longest) middle name and your mother maiden name, it always sounds posher and you'll still own it!

so... you're a 56y/o male that is in the South African Defense Force? (m/g3/57) :p

16. sarkans

sarkans New Member

I am from North Europe originally but moved to London and want to publish, therefore I need to get rid of my all too foreign sounding and hard to remember name. However, since I'm not a native English speaker, I'm afraid to unknowingly pick something cheesy or ridiculous sounding. What do you say about these options:

A. Miles

A. Lang

A. Winters

A. Faber

When you see them, what do you think of? What do they sound like to you?

I'm writing non-fiction by the way, for newspapers etc.

Thank you so much for your help!

17. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

none of them suggest anything in particular to me... they're just names...

i'd only wonder whether the writer is a woman who doesn't want anyone to know she's female, or a guy whose first name is something like aloysius, so he doesn't like to use it...

18. GoodTweetyBird

GoodTweetyBird New Member

I hear Rowling is a successful name.

Me, I sticking with me given names: Niles Nevin Nigel, III

19. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'm just wondering why a writer of newspaper pieces would feel the need to use a pen name. I mean, it's not as if readers peruse the newsstands every day muttering, "Now, where in blazes might I find an article by that Miles Lang Winters Faber??"

GoldenGhost likes this.
  20. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that, too!

21. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

Yes, and honestly mate, the chances that someone will see your name and hunt you down to your house in London are quite low.

22. Steve Day

Steve Day Member

You could try 'Boz', as I believe he is no longer using it.

23. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

In this instance I think that using your real name could be more beneficial than a penname. Sure, it might be harder to remember or spell - but if someone sees it repeatedly in the papers then I imagine it would be more likely to occur to them that they've seen the name before than if you were to use a more common name.

24. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I don't know, Adolf or Osama could be problematic. ;)

25. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

If you want to use a pen name and have initials in it, I would use two initials instead of one. It seems to be more common, which you're somewhat shooting for as you don't want to use a 'foreign' name that stands out.

Like A. W. Miles

I'd also do a thorough search to make sure you don't select the same name as a current/established author.

That's my two cents.