1. Hollowly

Hollowly Member

Picking an Agatha Christie Book

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Hollowly, Jan 9, 2011.

I was just wondering out of the plethora of books she's written, which one is the best? I'd prefer a novel over a short story collection, though The Hound of Death does sound good from other threads since I like the supernatural. So what is the best Agatha Christie book?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

The Hound of Death is amazing - well been fifteen years since I last read it but I grew up reading it.

Novels: Evil Under the Sun, for Poirot. Murder at the Vicarage for Miss Marple . The Secret Adversary for Tommy and Tuppence. Also Sparkling Cyanide starring Colnel Race.

Hmm I love all her books but those are my favourites.

3. Hollowly

Hollowly Member

yeah I saw you mention hound of death and thought it sounded good. Can one just pick up any Marple or Poirot book in the series and be okay?

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Yes. They are entirely standalone. Nemesis might be the only one I would say not to read until you have read at least one other Miss Marple but even it should be fine.

With Tommy and Tuppence I would start with the Secret Adversary there are more character changes in that series.

5. Velox

Velox Member

I've read a lot of Agatha Christie -- when I first started reading a lot, she was all I read. Out of all the ones I've read, And Then There Were None was definitely my favorite. Sort of different from her usual detective book, as it's more a thriller, but it was very enjoyable.

I'm not quite sure what would be my favorite after that, but I enjoyed her Poirot and Tommy/Tuppence stories. Murder on the Orient Express may be my favorite out of the Poirots I've read.

Have fun reading; she's a great author. =]

[I hope this doesn't count as bumping a topic; apologies if it is]

~ Velox