Plagiarism!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lemex, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Not in this case. He has openly claimed it as his own writing, if you look at the page.

I haven't been able to track down the site owner, but the site was registered through GoDaddy. I would not be surprised if Mehmet is the owner of the site.

The home page of the site DOES say to report inappropriate content to admin@ingilizceforum.net.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Well, I have sent him an E-mail asking him to take the story down, or change the author name to my own.

3. Cogito

You should also report the plagiarism to the admin at the email in post #26 of this thread.

4. Lemex

I would, but I really can't make sense of the writing.

5. Cogito

Just send your demand in English, that the plagiarized work be removed from his site. State when you posted the work on this site (keep the first creation date close to your chest, if it is not the same), and that you are prepared to take legal action if necessary to defend your rights under international copyright laws.

That doesn;t mean you are obligated to fillow through legally, but it does indicate that you know you have a solid case against the plagiarist.

6. Lemex

He has just E-mailed me back with an apology and changed the name to 'Michael A. Arnold.'

It's all sorted out.

E-mail he sent.

Thank you for the support everyone!

7. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

First, Lemex, I am very glad the situation was resolved quickly and easily.

Cogito, do you really believe that 'demanding' and threatening legal action in a case such as this would be the right course?

As I see it, requesting and explaining why, I believe works much better, especially in the initial contact. And especially in this instance/situation warning of impending legal action (that isn't going to happen even if it is within the writer's rights and it's a pretty safe bet the writer would win the decision) won't help the matter.

Legal action (hiring a literary or copyright attorney to seek to have a short story posted on one forum and copied to another without permission and listing another name, removed--and possible redress for damages?) that isn't going to happen makes one sound hollow, not professional, especially with an initial attempt at contacting.

Informing the offending writer of the intention to move up the ladder by contacting the forum owner (or even CCing, or BCing) and then going up to the ISP, would be more logical and reasonable I think.

Plagerism is a hot topic with writers and anger raised by it happening is reasonable.

Maybe we simply have a difference of opinion and approach, but the goal is to get the situation resolved favorably, not to attempt to intimidate someone halfway around the world with something that in truth isn't feasible to, accomplish the task.

Terry

8. Cogito

I don't think it's inappropriate to send a demand to the admin of a site to remove plagiarized work. Even if the ownership is in dispute, removal is a wise course. My point in mentioning legal action against the plagiarist is to encourage quick action on the part of the admin, rather than sitting on it.

I don't believe in halfway treatment of plagiarists. And I don't believe this guy "accidentally" wrote "By Mehmet Değirmenci" where it now says "By Michael A. Arnold" Notice his discussions of his "revisions" following the story.

He just never expected to get caught.

9. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I say hire a good mercenary. Pop! End of plagiarist. LOL

(JUST KIDDING!!!!)

10. Cogito

Hmmm. Tempting... ;)

11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

How 'bout a Viking Berzerker? :D

12. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

And if quick action doesn't occur...Lemex would do what? Actually hire that attorney? Or just threaten to do so again, or...

Threatening to hire an attorney doesn't in any way indicate one has a solid case. I hear people threatent to sue or get a lawyer all the time, especially when they don't have a case, on rare occasion its even been directed at me.

Just like one shouldn't pull a gun in self defense unless one actually intends to follow through with the threat if necessary and shoot on target, one shouldn't state they intend to get legal council and move forward with legal action unless they actually intend to do it. I did not 'hear' that in Lemex's posts.

I'm thinking that maybe a competent attorney would be cheaper than hiring a good mercenary:D...and easier to find in the yellow pages (if anybody still uses them :) )

Terry

13. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Dammit Terry, don't throw the cold water of reality on my simmering fire of fantasy. I can easily picture looking down the long barrel of a 50 cal sniper rifle. Into the scope's crosshairs walks my plagiarist . . . splash! Terry douses me with cold water and I wake from the momentary satisfaction of ending plagiarism.

(Lord, I hope people understand I am kidding!)

14. Gladiatus

Gladiatus New Member

Don't know if anyone has read this or if its even relevant but at the bottom, which I assume was not there before is now this.

"Thanks to original writer. This story has been published in writingforums"

15. Cogito

It was not there before. But this guy is a repeat plagiarist. I found two other posts by him on that site, both stolen from elsewhere. On one he explicitly stated that he wrote it, but the other copy I found predates his.

Out of the three posts of his I have seen, all three were plagiarized. This was just the instance in which he was caught by the copyright owner, so he had to cover up.

As far as I'm concerned, he's lower than pond scum.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  16. Raven

Raven Banned

Topic Resolved.

*Click*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.