1. razcox

razcox New Member

Plot dilemma - where to place the reveal

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by razcox, Aug 26, 2010.

I am in a bit of a quandary and would love some input from you guys about my plot line. First a bit about the story.

My main character crashes and should have died but manages to escape from the afterlife and so survives. During her time there she gets turned in to a wolf as this is described as her true form. Now back in the real word she finds her self not alone in her own body she has brought the wolf back with her. As a result of a high pressure situation she can now turn into a wolf in the real world.

Its going to be that she really has the soul of a wolf and was but in human form as penance for a action committed in a pervious life. By escaping the afterlife her soul has become fractured allowing her to access the wolf inside her.

Now the story is that she leaves home and meets a boy who is her soul mate and another guy who is going to be her mentor and explain a bit about what happened to her as he is the same. But I am not sure who she should met first the mentor or the guy.

If she meets the mentor first then the reader will have more info and understand why she is so draw to the boy. If she meets the boy first then it will be a strong attraction that is a bit of a mystery until she meets the mentor and it becomes a bit more clear. I keep hopping between one and the other and cant seem to make up my mind!

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

A big revelation, is seldom as awesome as it might seem. Especially with a quite simple to figure out plot twist like that.

I would do rather do neither. Not have any explanation that reveals it all but rather a few small clues the reader pieces together and bit for bit forms the bigger picture with.

3. stubeard

stubeard Active Member

You could write both and see which one your prefer? That doesn't necessarily mean write in full - you could just write a detailed narrative outline to see where each story path would end up. You'll probably find that somewhere down the line, one path encounters more difficulties than the other.

P.S. Just a quick word of advice - the "there" in your disclaimer should be "their" i.e. it belongs to them.

4. razcox

razcox New Member

HaHaHa i have had that in my signature on a few forums and never noticed that before! :eek: Opps, thanks for pointing that out.

Will give it a go writing the outline and see which one flows better or even if it gives too much away to quickly. Which ever way it goes its only a few chapters that will be affected.