Plot headache

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by writergirl2011, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ink_slinger

ink_slinger New Member

I think that it would work better if there was not an official adoption. It would turn into a law novel, not a book about a woman and her daughter coming together again.

Maybe if she left the child with someone without the official adoption (maybe due to $$$ issues, since adoption can get expensive?) to seek her "fame and fortune" (or to grow up, or whatever you decide her motivation for leaving the child is), and then the person dies? It might get sticky with a case of legal abandonment, though, so you might need to look into that.

I say, if you want to write a story about a mother reuniting with her daughter, go for it. All you need it a little research and a little story weaving. I would read a book about it, if it was well written.

I do know that adoption is expensive, and a risky legal process. In fact, American adoption has become so risky and costly that many people opt to adopt from Asia/Africa/Russia, and even with legal costs, plane tickets, etc., it's cheaper and doesn't involve birth parents complicating things. So that could work in your favor.

2. writergirl2011

writergirl2011 New Member

Think I need to give some more background info, but I'm delighted by all the comments.

The book is already started and is being posted. This appears in part 3 when the main character is married to someone else, both are famous and she adopts the child out at the age of 18 because she is a) not ready to be a mum and 2) isn't in a position even though her parents are rich.

The story picks up when she is married, already foster-to-adopt three children (she runs a group home for children) when she discovers the child parents have died. She only learns this when the child turns up at her doorstep. She's overheard a conversation before her parents died that its their wishes for her to be returned to her. It's an open adoption.

I hope this helps.

Laura

Ps. Jim, THE ADOPTIVE PARENTS ARE DEAD!!!

3. writergirl2011

writergirl2011 New Member

She did want her daughter, and she loves her but she knows she made the right decision. She was a scared teenager.

I've decided to run with it, but if I decide to send it to a publisher, then I will seriously think about removing it depending on what my readers think.

Laura