1. lemonhead

lemonhead New Member

Plot Question...should I complicate it??

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by lemonhead, Jun 18, 2008.

I have a pretty simple and straightforward plot, with one subplot (obviously ties in) when I think it it, I think of two similar arches, both peaking at different times but within the same "frame" (can't think of a better word) and the subplots ignites the resolution of the main plot.

My question is....

I have been thinking about other things I could add to the plot...as in, my mind is wandering while I am typing and I am thinking "oh I could do this...or how about this?" but then it seems like my story is running away with me.

I like the plot I have now...it's simple, straightforward and concise.
    I don't want to be adding stuff that would just complicate...
    I guess I just don't want to add FLUFF for the sake of storytelling, even if it makes a good story...I am not trying to write just a good story
    I hope I am making sense
    and I also hope I am posting this in the correct place.

If anyone needs/wants details about what exactly I am talking about, just ask!

2. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

I dont need details of the story to know that the main plot is the most important, if subplots are detracting from that instead of adding to it, then you dont want to add any. A story doesn't need to be complicated, it can be the most basic, straightforward narrative. If sub plots help build your main plot, and help to drive the narrative and make the whole thing flow better, then include them, if they water down your main story, leave them out.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto what rewan said...

and you have to consider whether your main story is strong enough to support a whole novel... which i have serious doubts about, from your outline here and previous posts on this work...

i have an exercise i designed for screenwriters with plot problems, that writers of fiction prose also find helpful and i'll be glad to send it to you, if you want to take a good look at your plot and where it's going/should go...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

4. lemonhead

lemonhead New Member

oh scribe rewan I misread your post in my hurry to get out of the office. My bad!

5. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

Haha that's ok. It only confused me slightly!

6. vampire_dua

vampire_dua New Member

Complication is never needed. It's only slightly wanted. Relation between events is what you need to concentrate on the most. So be careful, because you could throw something new in there and that thing turns out to be irrelevant to the protagonist's purpose in the novel.
    Complication is fine, but don't overdo it. Specially if you aren't writing a series.

Hope that helped :D