Tags:
  1. Antaus

Antaus Active Member

Plot Stall

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Antaus, Jul 17, 2017.

I'm having problems with my plot because like the title says, it stalls. The reason for this is because of the main character's goal. At the beginning of the story the MC is trying to develop a new type of micro-processor because he's a computer person, but as the story develops and unfolds, that largely becomes irrelevant because the story takes him rather far away from computers and developing processors.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

If you're looking for suggestions, we'd probably need more detail.

Though, why does he want the new microprocessor? For money? Fame? Sheer joy in intellectual work? To help the needy? To help researchers? To impress The Girl? To impress The Father?

If you dive a couple of layers down, you might have his new motivation.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

If you were going to describe/explain your story in one sentence, what would that sentence be?

4. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Forget the microprocessor, and see where your character will take you.
    If you really need the microprocessor maybe you could fold it back in later.

5. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

Have the microprocessor stuff work as a metaphor for the theme of the book, find a link that you can use. It's hard from your post to understand what the specific issue is. If you're trying to transition, use some research he is doing about the microprocessor to lead him to where the real plot lies.

6. Antaus

Antaus Active Member

Okay, let's put this into a little more context. The MC is trying to create a new micro-processor because his ultimate goal is to create an AI. The story ends up kicking into high gear when he encounters an android sent ten years into the past, by a future version of himself, to be his protector. Now I know that story concept sounds familiar and it does so for a reason. The Terminator movie franchise exists within the story and it's stated at some point that the movies themselves were what inspired him to get into robotics in the first place. Also it's not a rip-off piece because there's no Skynet, Judgement Day, or assassin from the future in my story. Just the MC, his android, and a story that gets really weird. That's where the crux of the problem comes in though. Transitioning from his initial goal of creating the micro-processor, to what happens later, because once the android shows up the processor basically becomes irrelevant. I was wanting to go for something a little more than the MC just being along for the ride during the story.

7. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

If the processor ceases being the goal, then you need to figure out what his next goal is and write towards that. Though, surely he still needs to make the thing to prevent a paradox. I would think that whatever the future self sent the android back to protect him from would be a pretty important point. If the new goal is "don't get killed," that is still a goal - one he could be active in by beginning to build other robots to help protect himself?

8. BayView

I feel like you're giving us the set-up, but not the main plot. I'm not sure if that's because you're a discovery writer and don't yet KNOW the main plot or because you're worried about sharing it on the internet or what.

But I'm really not sure what we can do until we know what happens in your story... is that what you're asking us for? Are we supposed to be coming up with the plot that goes with the set-up?

9. Antaus

Antaus Active Member

@BayView: Not at all, I already have the story divided into the 3 act arc and I'm working out details for a number of things. I know where the story starts, the majority of where is goes, and how it ends. I was just having problems with the beginning and transitioning the MC's goal for the processor to the series of events that follows. I hit something of a story clunk between the beginning that's relatively calm and the fecal matter hitting the rotary cooling device.

10. Antaus

Antaus Active Member

Would it help if I gave a pretty detailed story outline/plot overview? Also yes, I am a bit paranoid about posted everything on the internet.

11. BayView

I think it would help if you gave us a one-sentence summary of what your books about. All I've got now, after the set-up is 'things get weird'.

It's hard for us to suggest transitions when we don't know what you're transitioning to.

12. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

Well, the processor leads to the robot. The robot has come back to help him, but if something happens to the processor, the robot will cease to exist, and will no longer be able to protect him. Right?

13. Antaus

Antaus Active Member

Funny that, in talking about the problem, listening to feedback, and thinking about it, I believe I've found a workable solution.