1. forgotenmemory

forgotenmemory New Member

Plot too hard to understand?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by forgotenmemory, Apr 20, 2008.

I fear my plot may be too much. It's more for young adults. It's basically about dreams. A humans soul leaves the body to go to the dreamworld, kinda like a sanctuary. But some can go to a different place, where these creatures reside. They attack anything that isn't of the same race. Humans souls are recruited, along with two other races to help out in the fight. That's not even close to the whole plot, don't want to say too much.

2. Sugar N. Spice

Sugar N. Spice New Member

Maybe you could gear toward older young adults. They already read all of the adult novels anyway. :)

3. forgotenmemory

True, true. I hope my story (if it's ever published) will one day bring a generation that will be more interested in dreams.^^

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

If your plot may be too complicated, and you want to keep it that way, make sure you have a writing style worthy of the reader carrying on. Take a Thomas Pynchon novel, those plot lines are often entangled with other things going on at the same time, yet he is one of the most important writers of the 20th centery. Where as, you could write a simple Penny-dreadful and people will, again become uninterested.

5. nburwell

nburwell New Member

The plot itself doesn't sound like too much. For its young adults or teens, it may be a bit above their level, but I agree with Sugar N. Spice; perhaps gear it toward a slightly older age group and don't try to stifle your plot development. It sounds like it has good potential.

~Natalie

6. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

If it seems to be to much plot to cover all in one then concider making it 2 or 3 books.

7. giuocob

giuocob New Member

In my opinion, the most important attribute of a novel is the quality of its plot. If you've got a nice, coherent, interesting plot, don't sacrifice it. It will be liked by anyone who understands it. If you think your plot is too twisted for its own good, then you could consider cutting back on it. But since you haven't given the whole thing to us, I can't tell you.

8. Long Gone

Long Gone Guest

Doesn't seem too complicated to me from what you've explained. I don't know why, but it kind of reminded me of the novel Lucifer, by.... Michael Crichton, I think. The eternal battle of good vs. evil. Always a classic.

9. forgotenmemory

Yeah, it is a conflict between good and evil. But people change sides in the story. Thank you, guys, and girls, lol. ^6