1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Poetry by definition

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by OurJud, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:40 AM.

If I compose a paragraph of a
    given length, and then divide it into
    lines, each consisting of five feet, it can
    be said I have employed the literary
    device known as pentameter. But does
    this make it a poem, technically?

2. katina

katina Member

I dont know what a pentameter is but I like the way you wrote this piece :)

I find sticking to poetry rules restricting.

OurJud likes this.
  3. OurJud

It was just a silly thought and pretty much rhetorical as I'm not truly wondering if it constitutes poetry.

Pentameter definition

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributor Contributor

There's a good forum called writeoutloud - they're all poets - you'd like them - and also 'Poetry' magazine - who, in my opinion this month they went totally bonkers. One poem consisted of a smudge, a grolly, and the word eternity written in period blood [according to his extensive notes].

Read something simple like Larkin to see all that pentameter, it's pretty. But, why don't you say you've now passed pentameter 1 and write some poems for your/my pleasure?

OurJud likes this.
  5. OurJud

I will, when the desire to do so hits me.

6. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob What was I supposed to do, not dance with the dog?

While we had a very extensive conversation about this sort of thing over in the how do I write a poem thread, I'll put my thoughts here as well.

Poetry is very subjective. The word has almost evolved to mean writing without rules. Heck, if I were a popular poet I could do something utterly ridiculous like Matwoolf suggested above and it would be considered a poem! It's much like the modern art world, which I personally am not too fond of.

Now, if enough people call it poetry, I suppose it is in the eyes of the majority. I wouldn't consider what Matwoolf said above to be a poem, but the people who run that magazine seemed to think it was. Personally I enjoy poems with well defined structure, good imagery, character, etc. (what some would consider "rules"), but others may disagree.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if enough people call it poetry, then I suppose it is. I personally don't like the modern poetry (or art) scene, but that doesn't stop it from happening or others from enjoying it.

Edit: Ah shoot, just saw this:
    My bad :oops:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 8:24 PM
    OurJud likes this.
  7. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributor Contributor

Yes, but these editors are bombarded with 10 000 submissions a month for a magazine running for 100 years- so, for example, they see patterns where we do not.

[you see them yourself in creative writing]

These are early days with my 'Poetry' subscription. Last month it was a lot of poems about being transgender/women & power/Chicago...it wasn't really my 'cup of tea,' but it's a magazine..with...kind of a heartbeat...or themes/political/social/ethnic...and not just a 'best in school' iambic pentameter quarterly. Maybe it was once? Then the editor shot himself.

So this month there's poems - which I flick past - to read later - and then these smudges and amateur-art type pull-outs - which get all the attention - even discussed with a colleague - 'hey man, I've got this crummy magazine, ehmm...'

'Pictures?'

'Most certainly.'

'Nice one, heh heh heh.'

8. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob What was I supposed to do, not dance with the dog?

Yes, and the art critics who praise Pollocks' work went to school for a long time, it doesn't mean I'll enjoy the piece any more if someone else claims it's "artsy" or "intuitive" or whatever their opinion is ;)

ETA: I would just like to clarify that this was not supposed to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just expressing that other peoples' opinions on a piece don't always sway mine :p;)

ETA2: Man, for some reason everything seems like it could be taken in a snarky or rude way when I type it out! I didn't mean to suggest that you let other peoples' opinions sway you in what I said above, so please don't take it that way.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 1:55 AM
  9. katina

katina Member

poetry is personal
    it is not about what others
    tell you to do
    it is about how you want it to be
    writing poetry is simply
    a transformation of words
    into a new movements of thoughts
    other would relate with and never
    assault.