Post-Apocalyptic reads

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by RedRaven, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Yobuba

Yobuba New Member

Wow, I just came onto this thread to suggest Cloud Atlas as a certain possibility, and found that Donal has beaten me to it!

Pretty strange as it's not a typical post apocalyptic novel and that I've just finished reading it.

Anyway, I second Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It really is a fantastic novel (or collection of stories, whatever you prefer to call it).:p

2. Donal

Donal New Member

It was done really well wasn't it.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

*Head explodes at the fact that someone else mentions Samuel R. Delany*

*sets to gathering up cranial fragements*

Yes. Dhalgren. It is bizarre. It is baroque. Delany has a writing style that takes some getting used to, but once you get your brain around the rhythm and pace of his diction and syntax, you discover magic.

4. cellofr3ak

cellofr3ak New Member

I have to agree with HeinleinFan with the recommendation of Wastelands. I was on a post-apocalyptic short story jag (how precise of an addiction can one get? o.o) And I came across both it, and an anthology entitled Metatropolis, edited by John Scalzi. It's slightly different in that all the stories base around the same world, but the writing is quite good. :D

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I Am Legend is a great novel, I loved it; the vampires in that book were really well done I thought. I think it might be one of the few books that made me feel vampires were possible: if only for a moment.

Ember City is a good post-apocalyptic series. They are really enjoyable, worth a look.

6. Zieki

Zieki New Member

Just thought I'd mention Earth Abides by George R. Stewart. It was a good read - follows a guy from the end of civilization to his attempt to begin to rebuild. Definitely worth a look.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've got that book though I'm yet to read it. I hear good things though.

8. Zieki

Zieki New Member

I loved it - I think I read it last summer so I don't really remember all of the details but now that we're talking about it I kind of have the urge to pick it up again... Man, my book list is growing by the day.

9. RedRaven

RedRaven Active Member

I am Legend came in the mail today..
    I got to get through a few novels before I can start it, but looking forward to it. :)

10. bumblebot

bumblebot New Member

The book is so much better than the movie...even more than usual.

So glad I found this thread, I am a sucker for this genre.

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is one of my favorites. It takes place after a rebellion against the government and the resulting civil war. The Capitol remains an incredibly wealthy district at the expense of the rest of the population, and under the guise of reminding the everyone why they shouldn't attempt to rebel again, they hold a brutal gladiatorial contest every year. It seems to be marketed towards younger adults but I found it pretty mature, both thematically and in level of graphic...ness.

11. RedRaven

RedRaven Active Member

Hunger Games is quite known. Got a copy on my bookshelf but haven't picked it up yet :)

A Canticle for Leibowitz is on its way to my bookshelf! :) I'm a bookaholic and proud of it.

12. jigsawkid7

jigsawkid7 New Member

Best Dystopian / Post-Apocalypse Titles

I recently read the Hunger Games Trilogy and couldn't put it down. I love the world it created and was set in. I am currently reading Day By Day: Armageddon, which is pretty good also. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on this type of book. I've always been intrigued by "wasteland" stories I guess you could call them. I loved the movie The Book of Eli and I play the Fallout game series as well. Any suggestions?

13. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

14. art

art Contributor Contributor

If movies get your juices flowing: Mad Max (the first; perhaps the second; the third is beyond the pale). If Mel Gibson gets a cut from the DVD sales, consider downloading this illegally. It's only moral.

15. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

Ah come on, the first half of Thunderdome is completely worthwhile. It's afterwards when you shut it off.

16. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

"We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin
    "Brave New World"
    "The Time Machine" (this one was quite chilling concept-wise)
    "Make Room! Make Room!" by Harry Harrison (this is also a movie called "Soylent Green")

17. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

Dies the Fire (the first the 'After the Change' series) by S. M. Stirling

The Harlan Ellison novella, A Boy and His Dog -- available as a graphic novel "Vic and Blood: The Chronicles of a Boy and his Dog"

You already have Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon, but if you can find it, a copy of They Thirst, by McCammon, is a good read about a world overrun by vampires.