1. NWilliams

NWilliams Active Member

Question Post formatting

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by NWilliams, Feb 8, 2022.

I'm sure there is an answer to this here somewhere but I can't find it. So I will ask.

When creating a post with text cut/pasted from another source, the formatting is all lost. No paragraph separation, CR but no LF (I think, hard to tell, but one of them is missing). If you want to post something lengthy, hours of re-formatting may be necessary to make it readable again, if there is no way around this.

Is there?

Don't ask how I know this.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Sadly not - this is what it says in the new starters guide about the issue

A word on Copy-Paste

When you meet the requirements and get ready to copy-paste your story into the forum, your formatting is going to go a little wonky. This is a common issue with all forums, all platforms, and has to do with the fact that different word processors, different kinds of computers, and different forums all use different formatting tags. You may need to add missing or remove extra line breaks. Also there will be no indents at the beginnings of your paragraphs. Don't try to cleverly include them with invisi-text, please.

You may also need to re-do any Bold Text, Italic Text, Underlining, Strike-throughs and text colours.

NWOPD likes this.
  3. mwr

mwr New Member

Currently Reading::
    The Hobbit
    I just posted a thread asking this same question. Is these no way to embed google docs? Google sheets seems to be an option, but not Docs - why is that?

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You can copy/paste whatever you like from any source, but no external links are allowed. All critique pieces have to be posted straight-up into the workshop once the 2 for 1 requirements have been met.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

and the reason being that we don't want members having to click away from the site for three reasons

1) links are not always what they seem - we've seen purported google -doc links which would actually result in the download of malware

2) away from the site we have no authority over content etc, so could not stop someone from posting content which would otherwise break the rules such as incest/rape/bestiality/necrophilia , extremist literature etc. We don't have the capacity to check that every link is legit

3 A distant second to 1&2 but in the interests of transparency links can have the potential to harm our SEO depending what they are and where they are too.

mwr likes this.