Tags:
  1. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

pre wedding chaos

Discussion in 'Research' started by KillianRussell, Mar 9, 2011.

With doom in the offing, I want to open my story with a romantic comedy feel before I yank the rug out from under the readers , I am looking for input on pre wedding insanity....below my idea so far

Climbing towards sixty miles an hour the faded Honda rattled like dice in a cup. With no other explanation for the pain ferreting her brow Katrina concluded she had a brain tumor.Most likely inoperable, as huge as the grapefruits her Aunt Betty and Uncle Bill shipped from Florida. By nature an enemy of the trite, bile roiled in her stomach as she agreed, God really did have a sense of humor. Three days before her wedding Katrina was certain she would perish.

Catapulting north tracing the spine of a levee thru lush Southern Louisiana .She was traveling to meet a Louisiana power broker in regards to her family catering a black tie Christmas fund-raiser. Although the commission would be lucrative, she would have gladly forfeit it in exchange for a tumor-less brain .

She snatched the bottled water from the cup holder and placed it to her forehead praying the cool would dissipate the pain .The compress failed, she wondered if her agony was caused by low blood sugar thanks to the pre wedding diet she had endured all summer.

In the last month with the wedding's precedence stole chunks or her time.The planning chaos metastasized. On the eve of her embarking on a dream, enrolling in a world famous conservatory, she had practice sparingly all summer. In the last ten days she had not opened he violin case once something that has not happened since she was five years old.

2. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

The tumor confuses me?... is it literally a tumor? or is it just a metaphor for the headache that comes with wedding preparation? Either way I think that this is great, you might want to add something about her fiancee, how's he been acting? Has it been as hectic for him?. Other than those minuscule suggestions, it's very well written.

3. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I agree with Hawk. I hope the brain tumor is meant to be a metaphor.

BTW, have you ever had a headache as bad as the one the MC has? You wouldn't want to drive with a headache like that because you will feel every single bump in the road and rattle of the car through the headache.

4. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Are you asking for a writing critique or or information on what it is like before a wedding?

5. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

Sorry I was not clear , there is no tumor simply manifestation of her pre-wedding stress....I am brainstorming additional pre wedding paranoia....the bump in the road input was way hot ......so hot I will have her run over an armadillo , Thanks ....................
    The MC dreamed more of Mozart than weddings as a kid , while other girls played with Barbie and Ken she played the violin ...her stress is equal part due to the wedding falling three weeks before she enrolls as one of the 5% accepted after auditioning @ world reknown Juilliard

6. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

By all measures, our wedding should have been enormously stressful, but everybody who was involved in preparing it told us how remarkably calm we both were. So I'm afraid I can't really tell you much about "wedding stress" per se. ;)

I'll try doing it inverse, and see where I get. :)

IF we had not divided up different tasks amongst the both of us, placing full trust in each other that we would do everything right, IF we had started quibbling over details instead of just trying to get the "big picture" right, THEN we could have ended up in a huge mess, and panic.

Not that everything actually went perfect throughout the wedding day, naturally, but during the preparations, we just wrote down a list of things we wanted, divided up responsibility for them, and then did them, largely independent of each other. We didn't prepare very far ahead of time, either. I've heard from some people that they started planning a year in advance. We started seriously thinking about a date about five months before we actually married, and if I remember correctly, didn't begin actually ordering anything until about three or four months in advance. Some things only arrived (or, in one case, were actually made) on the wedding day itself. I got four hours sleep in the night before the wedding, my wife got two, the rest of the time we were working (shuttling people to and fro, decorating the house etc.).

There were no conflicts at all during the preparation (unfortunately for your research ;) ), but of course there were bumps and hiccups. The dress nearly didn't arrive. We nearly didn't get an appointment at the registrar's office. We nearly didn't have any glasses for the champagne. We nearly didn't get the restaurant we wanted for the evening. But we did in the end, and we always had at least one back-up option to fall back on just in case.

I supppose, it is also a matter of expectations and priorities. We both had a few points that each of us absolutely felt were necessary, and most of the rest were optional extras. Nice if they arrive on time and work out as planned, not too bad if they don't. Again, if you can't set priorities, and feel everything is important, then suddenly having the organ fail in the church can become a major disaster. It failed on us, but the guitar improvisation that was done instead was perfectly fine as well.

I suppose for both of us, the important thing was actually getting married and having family and friends there to join us in doing so. The rest were optional extras, even though they took most of the work.

I hope this helps you a little!

EDIT: Ways to generate additional-pre wedding stress
    - leave responsibilities unclear ("have you got the rings?" "what? I gave them to you!" "no you had them!" "but you wanted to take care of them, you promised!")
    - make details important ("didn't I say I don't want GREEN napkins?! Those napkins are GREEN!!" "yeah, they ran out of other colours..." "OMG, I can't BELIEVE you bought GREEN napkins!!")
    - throw in delays and unexpected difficulties ("this dress is not my size! my wedding is in two days and you've delivered the wrong size!!"; "sorry to inform you, but the church burnt down yesterday... ")
    - have guests or witnesses suddenly cancel ("I know I said I was going to be your best man, but there's a pretty cool show on tomorrow, and I just... " yeah unrealistic, but hey...)