Problem with Killing a Character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by GirlWriter101, Oct 17, 2018.

1. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

It might be worth mentioning here, and note that this isn't a criticism but hopefully something to help you create a more refined world and in turn a better flowing story: place names?

I know that there's a formula people use sometimes when creating fantasy place names, and I don't know the specific rules (if there are any) but from memory it's something like think of two words, one of them being something that basically sounds cool or is something to do with nature (eg egg, turtle) and the other being a generic location (eg river, bridge). Put them together and you get a nice little name for your village/forest/mountain. So in this case, it would be Eggriver and Turtlebridge.

This probably makes things a lot easier - Christ knows it's difficult coming up with place names without some kind of formula - but I'm noticing that you're using it for every single place name - not necessarily a bad thing, and certainly it'll make it easier during the creation process, but it might be worth thinking of sone names that don't follow this formula. Anyone reading your story will notice the pattern very quickly and it'll start to seem less and less realistic as they'll be focusing on the writer's process: "oh, I see how they came up with that name." Followed by, "oh, there it is again." Followed by, "oh, hang on, is this place even real?" EG. I've seen so far: RosePool, HazelPond, StormMountain, HavenIsland, StoneWall, etc etc.

I hope this doesn't come across negatively, to be fair they're mostly nice names! It might just be worth noting that a reader will notice the same thing I have, and they'll begin to question the story. I hope this makes sense.

If it's really difficult to come up with names, try using this formula and changing the results a little. For exactly, Storm + Mountain = StormMountain. A good starting point for what could be a foreign-sounding name that has origins that make sense - I dunno, Stormontan or something. That's terrible, but you see my point.

At the very least, perhaps don't capitalise both parts of the name. Rosepool, to me, looks a lot more natural and it'll definitely be more difficult to notice the formula used.

I know this is largely unrelated to the thread, but I hope it helps with your story.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Yeah, even in England the names have all sorts of origins including references to french, germanic, celtic languages and latin. You can't just name in generic English words.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Although that said Antony Riches does in his books about romans on hadrians wall - they are all translations of the original latin names - so Badger holes , white strength, Yew Grove and so on

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. GirlWriter101

GirlWriter101 Banned

I understand what you mean, however it is rather unrelated to the main focus of this post.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Eggriver sounds Celtic to me..

Potatomountain

thinking

6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I do think @Moose does deserve actually a yellow card for crimes re capitalisation - if the moderator might send her/him a virus or sim to teach him/her a lesson[?]

Oscar Leigh likes this.