1. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

procedure when children are missing

Discussion in 'Research' started by madhoca, Apr 14, 2013.

I have a story growing in my head. It's set in the 1970s in England. An important part of it concerns a 16 yr old running away from a boarding school (and reappearing 10 years later). It's vaguely related to something that happened at my school when the girl was found 2 days later. I can't remember police being called in when that happened, so if they were, they obviously didn't speak to us, her classmates. Is there, or I suppose I should say, was there, a legal obligation to report a 16 yr old missing withing a certain amount of time? What steps are usually followed in the search for the child? And does anyone know a good website where I can get information on this? I've been Googling but not turned up much info. I guess I'll probably have to research in the UK when I go back this summer, but if there is anywhere I can search it would be great. Thanks.

2. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Set in the UK, I'll leave it to the forum Brits. But there is always a wealth of data on the Net with the right search string.

Durham High missing child policy

4. Nee

Nee Member

That was well before nation wide alerts that are used today in Europe and America. (Amber Alert, here in the states). So it was rare that any one case of a missing child would be known about two counties over from where the child went missing. Though, the police would still suspect the family and friends of course.

You should do a google search for school and police protocols at the time you are interested in. Be prepared for a shock on how relaxed they were back then though.

5. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Well I think like everything it depends on the circumstances. The OP's character is at boarding school, probably secured against possible kidnappers. Is she having an affair with a teacher? This is a very recent case in the UK http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0928/339522-british-schoolgirl-found/ They were found in France after boarding a ferry from Dover. That ferry has been going since the 60s. If your boarding school is set anywhere near the South East Coast, the ferry ports will be the first place they look should they have reason to believe there's a love interest. Also on the West Coast you have ferries to Ireland so when missing persons are reported in the UK, its not just 2 counties they investigate but 2 countries, Ireland and France.

6. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Thanks, people. The problem is more that I don't what, if any of these present day regulations applied in the mid 70s (for the purposes of plot, the less, the better!). I went to a private convent school and it seemed like it was a world and law unto itself. The grounds were huge, and it was impossible to have the whole place secured against escape. I think I might have to talk to a school where there are old teachers who remember those days.