Tags:
  1. Malbryn

Malbryn New Member

Procrastinator Extraordinaire

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Malbryn, Jul 14, 2019.

Introductions were never my thing, but hey, gotta start somewhere, right?

I've been browsing the forums for some time now (well, like a few days, give or take.) I'm no stranger to writing forums, as I used to post short stories and discussed about the craft on another writing site a lifetime ago, before the site was sadly overtaken by poets (kidding, it was bots.)

Anyway, I lost interest in writing for a time but came back to it very recently. Thankfully, I've had the time to work on a first draft for a fantasy short story (and by work, I mean taking literally weeks to write about 1.1k words.) I plan to write short stories in the meantime; I hope to hone my skills and just practice, practice, practice. I'd love to work on a novella or, daringly, a novel, but, uh, I feel those are way above my current skill level, so I'll just stick to short stories for now lol.

My current WIP is going surprisingly well, despite the time, er, spent. My innate need to procrastinate, while strong in the beginning, is starting to fade a bit. An auspicious omen for my writing, I think. I expect (read: hope) to finish it in good time (the first draft, at least) and work on from there. I've yet to consider publishing, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. I look forward to learning much here and becoming a regular :bigwink:

2. Tomb1302

Tomb1302 Senior Member

Welcome! I've had trouble -inbetween studies- staying active here, but you'll find this community is very hospitable, and always ready to help.

Enjoy your stay, and best of luck!

Alan Aspie likes this.
  3. Malbryn

Malbryn New Member

Thanks for the welcome! I've definitely been enjoying my time here so far :)

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi there, Malbryn. I'm one of the forum moderators who has been procrastinating my self-appointed task to welcome new members. I blame the weather, which has been great. I've been unglued from my computer for a few days, only checking in now and again.

Anyway, a belated WELCOME to the forum! :)

Good to see you're returning to writing. As far as procrastinating goes, there have been a few threads on the topic recently. Some actually offering ways to get motivated. And one memorable one that says if you're procrastinating a bit, you're probably being more creative than folks who just dive in and get it DONE right away, because you are either consciously or unconsciously refining your ideas before you take off with them. So...you might well be doing that. Or at least that can be your Reason, and you can stick to it. :)

Let me encourage you to procrastinate a bit more, and take a look at these forum links, if you haven't already.

This is the guide written expressly for new members. It contains a lot of information that will keep you right, in terms of what you can and can't do here as a new member. Specifically, this pertains to posting your work for feedback, so please do read it carefully.
    New Member Quick Start

Here are a couple more links, if you really want to spend some more time not writing. :)

Forum Rules

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

Anyway, do have fun exploring, and feel free to dive into any discussions that you find interesting. Get to know us, and let us get to know you. If you have any problems, feel free to 'start a conversation' with me, and I'll try to help. (Just click my glass owl avatar, and then 'start a conversation.')

Cheers for now. See you around the threads. When I finally decide to wander in....

Jan