Professional Areas of Expertise

Discussion in 'Research' started by archerfenris, Jul 2, 2014.

1. MustWrite

MustWrite Member

Most experience in farming, including Dairy farming, farming rabbits, cattle/sheep/working dogs/goats/breaking training and riding horses/llamas/etc, Building with dirt cement, Organic farming and gardening,
    know plenty about
    Christianity
    Living on alternative energy off-grid
    Bonsai
    Painting and art- but not art history so much- the practical side,
    Being home-schooled
    Working with people from most countries who speak English as a second language- often poorly- and teaching them English.
    I have three kids- so know lots about small human beings and how to survive insanity ;)

Lemex likes this.
  2. AJC

AJC Active Member

I like to think I'm good at anything involving math and physics. I use those two subjects on pretty much a daily basis.

3. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

Auto insurance adjuster, so I can cover your automotive claims questions, accident scenarios, repair processes and so on. Self-taught mechanic, auto restorer, and keeper of much useless trivia about weird cars from around the globe.

Additionally, I'm an amateur race car driver, sometimes stunt driver (usually to impress my wife or terrify my mother-in-law), high performance driving instructor and have a casual knowledge of some anti-terrorism tactics for driving.

I have an interest in railroads and their histories and know a bit about model railroading (not toy trains) which I dabble in occasionally.

I'm an amateur dog trainer and student of canine behavior, but far from an expert.

I ride motorcycle and know a little bit about them, but again am no expert.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's a video of the Rolling Stones playing "Sway" from the "Sticky Fingers" album.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rollingstones/sway.html

5. Dallionz

Dallionz Member

I worked in the newspaper industry for about five years doing everything from advertising, graphic design and finally pagination.

I am a stay at home mom, homeschooler and I have a child on the autism spectrum.

Hobbies that I enjoy and know a lot about include crochet, essential oils, photography and online gaming.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I would quibble about "professional". I don't collect perfume professionally, but I could at least give you a good pointer to the answer for a lot of perfume questions.

I also have a fair to middling chunk of knowledge about gardening, sewing, and frying chicken.

7. GingerCoffee

Cool, can I ask you a question already? My protag traps small game. If you were to gut a kill, like a rabbit, how long could you hike around with it before you had to cook it?

Thanks in advance. :)

8. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Ah, the English language! The things you can do with chicken - first you garden them, then you sew them, and then you fry them!

No wonder my fried chicken never turns out as well as I want. Not properly sewn, I guess. :p

kburns421, KaTrian, Lemex and 4 others like this.
  9. archerfenris

archerfenris Active Member

HAHA! I didn't even notice until you mentioned it.

10. MustWrite

MustWrite Member

Oh yes I have also butchered plenty of animals, mainly small game and cattle :p

11. GingerCoffee

I shot a wild angora goat once. In Oregon there are wild goats that are a mix of domestic and wild goats.

With a friend we went hunting deer on property his friends owned. Tigré was of Apache or Navaho descent, I can't recall, very much into his Native American heritage. I don't remember the friend's tribe, only a girl in the group that was proud to be Lakota Sioux. I have a Blackfeet great grandmother but if I claimed any Indian heritage I'd be accused like Elizabeth Warren was of faking it. I digress. ;)

So after hiking around the hills in the foggy morning, not finding any deer we came across the goats. 30 ought 6, I recall the rifle's caliper was. I was surprised to hit the animal, it was a distance away. But I dropped it with one shot, the rest of the animals fled.

I had an emotional reaction to killing it. I didn't feel guilty exactly. We used every part of the animal but the bones. The meat was great. I had the skin tanned and I still have it to this day, it's gorgeous, with silky white hair about three inches long.

And I eat slaughtered meat on a regular basis. But I decided not to go hunting after that. Once was enough. Everyone who isn't a vegetarian should do it once as a matter of principle.

12. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Wow, it's nice to get some idea of people's professional (or hobbyist) interests here. Makes me envious of some of your skills. :D

My field of study is education, but I couldn't help with educational questions concerning the US or the UK 'cause the curriculum, evaluation, testing etc. are different over here.

I also know way too much about logistics and international VAT legislations, customs procedures and some such thanks to the part-time on-and-off job I've held for years in one yellow-and-red logoed logistics juggernaut to support my studies. o_O

I'm a hobbyist when it comes to horses and horse-back riding (mostly show-jumping but as of late I've gotten into Icelandic horses), and I'm pretty into fitness, so I know a few things about training and eating healthy. I can also share some experiences from the female POV when it comes to getting your ass kicked (or face punched) in boxing. :agreed:

Andrae Smith likes this.
  13. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

Government security, or just security depending on how you look at it. That would be my profession, however inspired by my Mrs who is an SLT, i am studying to be a physiotherapist! (i get bored of jobs easily, its a bad trait)

I'm also looking into the nutrition aspect of training and recovery.

I know quite a lot about motorcycles and bicycles, building, riding and repair.

Oh i scribble portraits sometimes.

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

What's an SLT?

15. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I tend to know a little bit about everything but not much of anything. My brain is a shallow pool.

16. GingerCoffee

Knowing a little about a lot can be very useful at times.

17. jannert

Awww ...you're too kind! :)

18. GingerCoffee

In that context I'm going to guess Speech and Language Therapist.

19. GingerCoffee

Not trying to be kind, I find the fact I know a little about a lot is sometimes more useful than the lot about a little I also know. :p

20. jannert

I find it often gets me into trouble!

21. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Back in the day it wasn't about the depth of the water, but how much land it touched as to how important it was. Just saying!

22. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Ah, but can a long, narrow river not touch more land than a vast sea?

Lewdog likes this.
  23. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I never said it had to be a sea, it's just about how much land it touched because back in the day water was life.

24. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

Ginger is correct, she's a speech and language therapist. Works in a hospital and such. Wears white coats I'd imagine

25. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

I study media (BA), which involves theories in sociology, linguistics and anthropology, so anything related to that is what I can help you with. I('ve) also...
    - Farmed goats and have worked on a field.
    - Am Bulgarian, so anything to do with the Balkans can be directed at me.
    - Worked in a tourism agency offering work in Greece, so I know something about that.
    - Study Japanese (currently at around a pre-intermediate level), and I know a bit about modern Japanese culture.
    - Work out extensively (anything fitness-related).

As a hobby, I enjoy learning more about evolutionary biology and cosmology, religion, US politics, and have currently picked up the flute (Irish flute).