Tags:
  1. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Progress toward publication of Flank Hawk

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TWErvin2, Sep 5, 2009.

I just returned emailed the final edited/proofed version of Flank Hawk to the managing editor at Gryphonwood Press. I'll get to look at it one more time when the galley is available.

Also sent other files like the acknowledgment page and such.

The cover art is in its final stages and is pretty darn awsome, if you ask me--maybe as good as ...the story itself ;).

I have four excellent blurbs to organize and forward, with a couple authors that may yet send one to me by the deadline.

Maybe this reads a little bit like bragging, but really I feel like I've just made a few big steps forward. Those here who have been through the process probably know what I'm trying to express.

Still, tons yet to do.

Terry

1 person likes this.
  2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Congratulations!

3. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Fantastic!
    Could not be happier for a fellow writer!

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

That is fabulous news, Terry!

And you have every right to brag about this. It is a major achievement.

Well done, Terry.

Sherie

[​IMG]

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That's wonderful news, Terry. Furthermore, it's both helpful and inspiring to have a window into the progress of a member's novel publication, timeline and all.

6. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Excellent, terry. You survived!

7. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Congratulations, Terry! It must be very exciting to have all of that finished with. :D

8. TWErvin2

Lavarian, Wordwizard, Hiddennovelist, Rei, Thanks, it is exciting and I did survive--so far.

Torana, you are correct, it is an big achievement, and Cogito, while my experience may not be typical--I am not sure any path toward publication is-- it's a learning experience, different than having short fiction published, that I'll continue to share as it goes along.

One of the most interesting parts thus far was researching and requesting blurbs from authors. I know a number of authors from online communications and a few in person, but narrowing it to those that would be appropriate for my fantasy novel whittled that away pretty sharply. I also researched and contacted authors, some through their agents. I did this at the recommendation of a fellow author who's had several great successes and a career that has taken off. I also found out that a number of my favorite authors are represented by the same agent, so that narrowed who I could logically ask (I felt) as it would look like spamming requests.

Writing the letters requesting the author to take the time to read and consider providing a blurb if they like the novel enough was interesting. I tailored each request to a particular author, which took time, but was worth it. Generic letters, I felt would be insulting, and wouldn't serve the purpose. Sure, it took time, but I was asking them to take time on my behalf.

Most authors I contacted declined, either themselves or through their agent. Some got back to me after a couple months, then indicating they’d try to get to it by such and such a date, which would be too late. A couple accepted by I've not heard back from, and author read Flank Hawk and said he couldn't come up with anything--I think a polite way of saying, sorry it wasn't something that I liked enough to put my name behind. That was okay. And some never bothered to acknowledge that I'd sent the request—or my contact got lost in the mail or email spam filter or who knows.

Some authors wanted electronic copies, which was cool--especially the one in Australia. Others my publisher provided ARCs, or I sent a hard copy to be faster (as my publisher was in the process of creating some unproofed Advance Review Copies--a limited # as, well, they're a small publisher without a huge budget) but the turnaround time was a factor. Maybe I got on the requesting blurbs faster than my publisher anticipated.

So far I've received four awesome blurbs from authors representing a ranging level of notoriety. No NYT best sellers, however ;). With a couple out that may still return in time to be included. My publisher commented that some genres appear to be easier to obtain blurbs than fantasy. That, or maybe my timing was unlucky, or my letters to the authors weren't up to the task.

How much difference blurbs will make? I'm not sure. But they certainly can't hurt. And it was positive to hear from other writers in the industry that my work was something they could enthusiastically support--put their name behind.

Again, thanks for the well wishes and support, folks!

Terry

9. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Fantastic! Congrats!! :D

10. TWErvin2

Thanks, Gigi_GNR!

Terry

11. TWErvin2

Cover for my Fantasy Novel

Hey Writing Forum Folks,

The cover art is completed and the title work has been added. Click on over and take a look at the cover of my novel soon to be released:

Flank Hawk Cover

Let me know what you think!

Terry

Sorry, couldn't get the pic of the cover to show in the forum.

12. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Very nice, Terry! I can't wait for it to come out!

13. TWErvin2

Thanks, Hiddennovelist, although someone has deleted the original post. People can see it using my blog link below in my signature file (Up Around the Corner).

Terry

14. Cogito

Not deleted, just moved to the upcoming release thread. :)

15. TWErvin2

Where is the upcoming release thread? Maybe I am confused why the post about my novel is listed here with a post about a short story I had published, and there is a duplicate moved elsewhere.

Although I did figure out how to create an album again, so I should be able to insert the cover without going to an external link.

In any case, I don't want to start a new thread, if there is already one elsewhere on the same Flank Hawk cover topic. I'll look around again...probably missed the obvious, but it's past midnight here.

Terry

16. Cogito

Sorry. I moved it to the wrong success thread (corrected now). Just trying to keep them in the same thread so new people can see the big picture of how this progresses from one stage to the next.

17. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Very nice cover, Terry.

18. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    That's so awesome, Terry!

Well done! My god, it must be amazing to see your own work having a cover that somebody else has created for you. It must all seem so real now.

19. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Good stuff. When's it out?

20. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Congratulations!

October 27 is right around the corner! I hope you have the champagne ready! I'll watch for it in our bookstores here and turn it face-out wherever I find it. Good work (and a lot of it, I bet!).

21. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Good to see your process getting so close to completion. I will email your release info to all my contacts as soon as the book hits the market. While I am usually not a fan of the fantasy genre, Flank Hawk was compelling and fun to read. I would not hesitate to buy the sequel and I'll enthusiastically endorse Flank Hawk to anyone who will listen. Good luck with the marketing.

22. TWErvin2

Cogito, not a problem!

Rei, thanks for taking a moment to look and comment on the cover.

Ashleigh, it is pretty cool. I could never create art like that. But I personally think the story is even better. :)

Cheeno, it is scheduled for release October 27th, not too far off.

ManhattanMss, I don't know about champange, but it'll be neat to have a copy on my shelf. The odds of the novel being stocked on most bookstore shelves is remote unless it really takes off. Gryphonwood is a good press, but a small one. It will be avilaible for order, however, if you do find a copy on the shelf, your turning it face out will be much appreciated.

NaCl, thanks for the positive review and support! And I found out yesterday that my publisher is using your blurb (a slightly abbreviated version) on the novel's back cover! (along with several others). Work on the sequel is underway. No specific words on paper, other than the plotline being developed.

Again, thanks all for taking a moment to click on over to the blog, view and comment here.

Terry

23. TWErvin2

I believe I 'refigured' out how to post an image (or at least one way to do so), so here is the cover for Flank Hawk:

[​IMG]

Terry

24. Cogito

Cool!

25. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    Cool indeed.

I can't imagine what if feels like to see your work in print.