Project "Empty That Bucket!"

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Wreybies, Jul 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Any particular format you want for flagging rule breaking? I've been making comments in the Report box, or using a form of Moose's "Do My Homework," etc. But if there's a specific line, I'll use it.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Just report it like we've been doing previously and let me know what the rule break is. I'm flexible as to verbiage. Whatever makes sense to you to let me know.

3. Catrin Lewis

Gotcha. This reminds me of my own filing system . . . you get overlap, and you put things one place or the other, depending on the phase of the moon and what color socks you put on that day.

Well, not really, but it seems like it.

4. Wreybies

Also, one last note:

If, as you are looking for a destination forum to land a thread you notice a destination that makes you think "Hey, I've never seen that before", don't use that destination. As I mentioned before, most of that is behind the scenes scaffolding and if you drop it there (assuming the software even lets you) it will fall into the void.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

fear not the structural stuff is all greyed out for us

6. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Ok, so now we can actually move the threads, can we just go through simultaneously? Since the ones which have already been done will end up moved, there should be no overlap right?

7. Catrin Lewis

LOL
    IMG_6809.JPG
    Actual picture of Catrin suited up for mold removal.

Tenderiser likes this.
  8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

right though it still makes sense to work from different ends

9. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

True, but if we end up in sync we'll probably encounter some errors. I'm in September 2016 at the moment.

10. Wreybies

Correct. If anyone happens to work a thread simultaneously with someone else, well, I guess we'll learn if time and space remain stitched together as they should be. :-D

IHaveNoName and Catrin Lewis like this.
  11. big soft moose

I'm coming north from August 2007

12. Jacurutu

Jacurutu Senior Member

Ah, yes, right you are. Good. :)

Also, this Wreybies in his fremen incarnation, a member of the Jacurutu, for even the fremen have those amongst them so extreme that no sietch will take them and instead they run the deep desert, ever in the presence of Shai Hulud, He Who Clears the Path....

(all kidding aside, this is my "dummy" account, useful for times just like this to test testy things) :-D

[​IMG]

Trish likes this.
  13. Catrin Lewis

OK. But . . . but . . .

I know there's more stuff in there that needs moved. :whistle:

*occasionally tidy mind struggles not to essplode*

That's okay (I'm telling myself). I just finished my own annual sort-papers-and-balance-accounts campaign, and there's a certain file drawer where a bunch of paperwork just got dumped a year or two ago and it'd be really nice if I could straighten it out, too. But I have Other, More Important Things to Do and I'm going to let it alone.

Ditto GW here.

For now.

(Anybody getting any writing done in the midst of this?)

EDIT: So no power of movage in GW, I take it?

(That's okay. Must Get Novel Formatted!!!)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  14. big soft moose

woo - we're 850 threads down already

15. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

That can't be right, unless one of us has accidentally moved threads en-masse. I'm pretty sure I've moved fewer than 50.

*hopes it wasn't her*

ETA: Yeah, we're at 6,440 down from 6,503. So 63 threads.

16. big soft moose

According to this we started from 6503

we are currently on 5634

I've done about 50 as well so either someone is very proflific or something up with the counter

17. Wreybies

No.... (Plus there's no convenient batch move feature. Common topic of discussion over at the Xenforoâ„¢ forum)

Start:

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 10.02.29 AM.png

Now:
    Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 10.51.00 AM.png

18. Catrin Lewis

Or maybe a subforum on Orgs, Cons, Courses, etc., would be appropriate down in Applied Writing. ["Writer Development"?] @Wreybies, could we ask @Daniel about this?

I agree, on second thought, that Resources wouldn't be the best place for it, even though many moons ago when I first saw the Resources tab, I thought this kind of info was what I'd find there. Nope. If it's a regular subforum, people could talk about their experiences with these things, rather than its being an official "Here's this helpful course, if you're looking for one."

Anyway, it'd be nice to have it all this kind of thing in one place, and not in General Writing. Because it isn't about writing-writing per se.

19. big soft moose

umm according to the counter at the bottom of the lounge

Untitled.png
    This is strange

20. Wreybies

Ah,understood. That counter also includes soft-deleted threads that aren't visible. I noticed the same thing in the GW subforum when I first started all this and backtracked until I found the zone where the "Move the Deleted Threads to the Recycle Bin" chore had fallen to the wayside. Not surprisingly, that period of time corresponded with the Invasion of Politics / Dueling Links at Dawn epoch. It's still not completely clean up there, but it's better than it was. Moving dead threads to the Recycle Bin is a chore that mostly benefits a mod's experience in the forum since otherwise we're forced to look at all that mess as well as live threads. :bigmeh:

ETA: Also your number only shows the number of the threads in Lounge-Lounge, not including Entertainment or Debate room. My prior statement remains true, but I realize it doesn't actually answer why your number us so much less than the one I posted, given that my explination would result in a number much greater showing in your counter. Regardless, and fra-fra-fra... there it is. :-D

21. Catrin Lewis

I think I'll let you guys clean out the Lounge for awhile. Because it's true: the threads that don't seem to belong there want to head back to General Writing!

22. big soft moose

most of what ive found so far went into support and feedback or software

23. Catrin Lewis

I admit it. I couldn't resist testing this out. I feel a little rude not leaving a time-limited redirect, but if that means you have to examine it, here it goes without.

24. Wreybies

It defaults to just a day of being present, so no biggie if it gets missed, but in the past it was defaulted to a permanent status that was itself a small project of going through forums and getting rid of them because it made the GUI an obstacle course for me. o_O

For me, areas left untended look like this...

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 11.33.19 AM.png

25. Catrin Lewis

:supershock: