Project "Empty That Bucket!"

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Wreybies, Jul 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

That goes without saying - I've been eating hobnobs compulsively since we started this project... and jaffa cakes ... i even made a hobnob and jaffa cake sandwich while hacking through the true horror of the lounge in 2011

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Untitled.png

[​IMG]

3. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Waiiiiiit, I thought you meant you were going to have a cup of tea then do something entertaining. I didn't realise you meant the entertainment subforum :crazy:

Glad I'm not the only one :supergrin:

I do like a Jaffa, but they're not quite so satisfying as a hobnob. I'd need a lot more Jaffas to make me feel as satisfied as a couple of hobnobs.

This sounds amazing. I think it's the perfect desert after @Trish 's French toast burgers.

Trish likes this.
  4. big soft moose

Does not compute, if i start with the hobnobs I have to eat the whole packet.... you know what its like you have a couple then you think one more won't hurt, oh gon on then... oops took two... nom nom nom ... oh theres only two left i may as well eat them...

I don't have a problem, i can stop any time i like :D

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  5. big soft moose

Anyway the real question

Where next great worshipful @Wreybies in the sky ?

What else can we comb through in order to prove our devotion to the one true wreybies, lord protector of hobnobs.

That we workship not false idols , nor consume wagon wheels dunked in hotchocolate, nor start threads entitled "wanna write book"

Catrin Lewis and Fernando.C like this.
  6. big soft moose

I'm now turning my attention to the things tagged in GW for Writing resources ... as discussed above ... I have just done the "books on writing craft "

For my fellow volunteers when i start work on a thread i'm noting "ETB now moving to resources" on the end so that if more than one of us is doing this we don't duplicate effort, then when its done and dusted i'm reporting it using the " ETB now moved to resources - delete" so that Wrey or kompost or whoever can trash the original

If there's a thread tagged for resources that doesn't meet the criteria Wrey layed out further up I'm reporting it as ETB move to ... as we did earlier

Incidentally the process I'm using is to paste everything useful out to a word document enabling me to edit out the arguing and stuff from the thead tail while picking up useful extras. Having done that i then paste the resource back into the template, and give credit to the original authors in the descriptor line.

Some threads may not need the move to word to neaten up and can just be pasted into resources.

7. big soft moose

Ive done four now ... I can see why wrey left it til last - its time consuming, particularly where useful info is spread out through a thread intermixed with comments

8. big soft moose

A minor reminder - when we are flagging things for resources could we all make sure they met the resource criteria... ie that they contain links or tangible information which is itself a resource to a writer.... a thread looking for such resources is not itself a resource (unless the answers in the thread tail are resource worthy)

Theres a fair bit of flagged stuff which doesnt meet that criteria . - i'm reporting and asking for the etb search tag to be deleted so they don't show up in the search for stuff to move to resource

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Catrin Lewis likes this.
  9. big soft moose

Okay ... i have now created as a resource everything flagged during the GW phase of this project which meets the criteria, and reported the threads complete for @Wreybies to deal with.

That's 19 new resources

If I haven't created it its either because it doesnt meet the criteria (per the above) or because the links are broken/ the sites linked to no longer exist

I am now going to have a cup of tea and a hobnob and then do something that doesn't involve staring at the computer

ETA @Tenderiser apologies if you were intending to do this, I started doing one or two then got carried away (and I ate all the hobnobs)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Tip'o the hat to ya. :)

a_tip_of_the_hat_by_jollyjack.jpg

Fernando.C likes this.
  11. mashers

Moose has been on it today. Thanks for doing so much! I only got a little bit done. Sorry, didn't really pull my weight for this part. Blame Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un - I was up most of the night worrying about the apocalypse so I'm a bit too tired today :supersleepy:

12. big soft moose

look on the brightside , if there's a nuclear apocalypse people won't be posting in GW :D

Also - don't worry, I think it would have been confusing with more than one of us working on it at a time anyway

13. mashers

Every cloud, eh?

True. We wouldn't want to move the same threads at the same time!

14. big soft moose

Yeah particularly as you can't actually move them to resources (not even the supermods can) I had to collate contents and then create a resource with it then tag the original thread for move or deletion... I'm glad that's out the way, I can see why Wrey didn't have the time to tackle it

incidentally the messy classification in resources makes my teeth itch, but I don't think we can do anything in there without super powers we don't have... it really needs a restructure of what the categories are then someone to go through and reclassify everything.... I suspect this one for the back burner until daniel next surfaces though

15. big soft moose

I just noticed that we volunteers can 'reassign resource' which I think means we could assign all those ive just uploaded to their original posters (who I creditted in the tag line) .. I lack the arsed to do it right now though

we can edit them as well which means we could reclassify them if @Wreybies so desired - but we'd have to live with the structure as is for the minute

The little menu thing is in the right hand column about halfway down

16. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I made some minor tweaks to the titles and description lines of the resources just to clean out typos and such (we don't want our Resource section to look messy, do we? ;) ).

17. big soft moose

cmes f tyng to fst ;)

Komposten likes this.
  18. big soft moose

I've just gone back and put an apostrophe in that we both missed the first time around ;)

Komposten likes this.
  19. big soft moose

Done and dusted - I've reassigned to the original OP everything the software would let me reassign. There are four cases where the OP doesn't have access to the resources (I'm guessing this means they have a low post count or are banned) where the system would not let me reassign the resource

Fernando.C and Wreybies like this.
  20. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Oh, golly, I could use me some Jaffa cakes. Every so often a store here will lay in a supply, and then it just dries up. *sob*

21. big soft moose

I shall have to send you a food parcel, they are 99p for 3 packets in tesco

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  22. Catrin Lewis

That's a pleasant thought. And as long as I'm making my never-neverland, imaginary wishlist, throw in a couple tins of Crespo anchovy-stuffed olives, too.

(What a hoot. It is possible to miss British food.)

23. Catrin Lewis

Sorted some more threads out of the Lounge; 25 or so, maybe.

Not headed in any sort of direction; that'd be too much like work. I just like landing on some arbitrary page(s) and seeing what I find there. Mainly from 2011 and 2009 today. Nice seeing some familiar names and avatars there.

24. big soft moose

So I've been ill this weekend (manflu ...nothing serious) and took the opportunity to stroll back through the lounge (all 141 pages), and move some more bits that got missed on first pass

lounge.png

That's 42 down from 5777 at start of play. ( I also made about ten threads into resources)

[​IMG]

Komposten and Fernando.C like this.
  25. mashers

I miss having a project here. Is there anything else we can do?