1. Raven

Raven Banned

Psychological Movies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Aug 30, 2007.

As you can imagine been house bound with the wife expecting a newborn can become rather mundane. So one tends to watch a few movies over that two week period.
    And lately those movies have been horror or a good psychological.

Well I had the pleasure of seeing 28 weeks later. amazingly better than the lower budget first 28 days later. And the fear element is still there. I totally enjoyed this film and recommend it to all.
    Six months after the rage virus has annihilated the British Isles, the US Army declares that the war against infection has been won, and that the reconstruction of the country can begin. In the first wave of returning refugees, a family is reunited - but one of them unwittingly carries a terrible secret. The virus is not yet dead, and this time, it is more dangerous than ever.

If you like films that would scare you on a psychological basis. The 28 weeks later is certainly one.

Another Movie I had the Misfortune of watching. The Zombie Diaries.
    an unknown virus spreads among the populous. Within weeks it had engulfs the entire planet, (Yaye.) from the smallest rural communities to the greatest cities. Upon the death of its host, the virus would reanimate the corpse until it was no longer able to support itself.(Sounding Familiar) Soon, the planet becomes infested with a new threat - the undead. So begins our journey into the dystopian world of The Zombie Diaries.

Three stories chart the early days of the plague, right through to the last days of the apocalypse:

A documentary film crew travel to the countryside to make a movie about the virus. Unaware of what is happening around the country, the team is accidentally caught up in the outbreak. They later take shelter in a nearby wood, where a much more sinister fate awaits them.

A husband and wife escape London and pick up a mysterious hitchhiker as they scavenge the remnants of dead towns, unaware of the dangers that wait for them in the shadows.

A group of survivors flee to an old farm to seek refuge, only to find themselves under siege from creatures that attack in the dead of night.

I do not recommend this pile of junk.

And Finally one a deem a very week Horror Psychological movie. Sunshine.
    Oboy was this crud.
    A crew in deep space go to save the dying sun.

The crew Frag up. Find a distress from a previous ship sent to do as they are. they go to investigate. Find the captain had an epthiny. Crew all burned. But the Captain nuttier survived goes aboard their ship tells them all god says we should die now. and goes around killing those off that haven’t been killed yet. and then the mission. (Says Nothing in case you fancy watching this crud)

Anyone else seen any good movies, of the psychological nature

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, I would NOT recommend watching Rosemary's Baby about now.

3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I love Psychological-type movies. Unfortunately there aren't that many.

Personally I liked 28 Days Later more than 28 Weeks Later, but they were both excellent. If you liked those I suggest you watch Dawn of the Dead & Land of the Dead (if you haven't already).

4. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I hate zombie movies cause I get nightmares for weeks and paranoid for months. But I liked Shaun of the dead, slow moving zombies that you can kill with a cricket bat or a golf club. YAYNESS!

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Land of the Dead was a terrible movie.
    In that type of society, money would be useful for toilet paper only. Food, ammo, clothes, and fuel would be vital. So running around with 2 million dollars in a briefcase would get you laughed at by any survivors.
    The survivors didn't act like survivors. Most of the characters didn't know how to survive. You would think if most of them had dealt with zombies at any point in the past they would have been more careful about their defenses.
    And at the end letting the zombies wander off to make lives of their own. Sickening. THeir lives involve killing every living person. Thats a nice idea for a neighbour.

Sorry, the movie really annoyed me.

6. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I was a big fan of 28 Days Later, and I was horribly disappointed in the sequel.

7. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

the best film for that i thought was The Silence of the Lambs and Hanibal. Having watched them i just sat and thought about them for days and they just were really amazing films. they would be the best i think. another, which actually also has Anthony Hopkins in, is The Human Stain. it is another amazng film.
    Heather

8. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

They were both good, but I was disappointed as well. I'd hoped there'd be some more continuity between the two.

9. Raven

Raven Banned

One I recently watched is an old film called Stigmata starring Gabriel Byrne.

A lost soul has just received the wounds of Christ...and a shocking message that will alter history. Stunning performances from Patricia Arquette (True Romance), Gabriel Byrne (The Usual Suspects) and Jonathan Pryce (Ronin) and a cutting edge score by Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins and Elia Cmiral make Stigmata "a visual and visceral feast.

Frankie Paige (Arquette) has absolutely no faith in God. All of that changes when she suddenly begins to suffer the stigmata - the living wounds of the crucified Christ. Frankie's miraculous bleeding comes to the attention of the Vatican's top investigator, Father Kiernan (Byrne). But when Cardinal Houseman (Pryce) discovers that Frankie is actually channeling an extraordinary and provocative message that could destroy the Church, he's convinced that she - and the force possessing her - must be forever silenced. Determined to stop this deadly conspiracy, Kiernan risks his faith - and his life - to save her and the message that will change the destiny of mankind forever.

I recommend this movie.

10. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I remember watching Stigmata, I thought it was absolutely fantastic at the time and have been trying to get hold of it again (without resorting to buying on the internet after the last incident I had with my card).

I also really likes Silence of the Lambs (I think heather mentioned it) but the only other one i've seen is Hannibal Rising - definitely intend to see the others though.

I liked 28 days later, but I haven't seen the sequel. Maybe i'll get round to it soon lol.

School put shaun of the dead on in one of my lessons, so i've only ever watched half of it. I did like it though.

11. Raven

Raven Banned

Another good one is Donnie Darko.

12. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

That confused the crap out of me the first time I watched it...

Very good film though.

13. Kit

Yeah, I like that one too.

14. Banzai

I liked the bunny :)

(PS- Kit, empty your PMbox :p)

15. Kit

Oooohhh me too.

(Matt, CANT! School block it... lol. Answer your emails instead).

16. Raven

Raven Banned

Anyone remember a film with Sam Niel called In The Mouth Of Madness.

17. Kit

Nope don't remember that one, how old is it? Before my time?

(No offence intended of course.)

18. Raven

Raven Banned

Ah yes proberly.

Ok I have to say I also enjoyed the sixth sense. and Unbreakable was good.

19. Raven

Raven Banned

And I really like White Noise. The first one. Though the second was also a good film.

20. Kit

I liked sixth sense and unbreakable, but I haven't bothered with white noise as it got some quite rubbish reviews from my friends. You'd recommend it though?

21. Banzai

I haven't seen the second one, but I must admit that White Noise was scarier than I expected it to be.

(Kit- I have. Check yours :p)

22. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I'm a huge fan of the Hannibal movies, though I thought the latest one was a bit of a let-down. Silence of the Lambs is incredible, though, Anthony Hopkins plays the role of Hannibal so well.

I'm really looking forward to 28 Weeks Later when it comes out and I'd love to see White Noise and the Human Stain.

I think Se7en is also incredible, it's my favourite psychological thriller, though pretty twisted.

23. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Well I haven't watched it, but I've heard of it. Does that count?

One psychological movie I really liked was 12 Monkeys. It had time travel, insanity, fanatics, insanity, and excellent actors.
    Great movie.

24. Banzai

The only part that I thought was a let down was that they changed the ending.

25. Raven

Raven Banned

Id recommend both but the first is far better.