Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jannert, Sep 20, 2017.

1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

This can't be much fun for Wreybies, or anybody else.

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

I got a brainstorm last night that this might be a good time for solar panels in PR, started researching, and ended up on a forum where the contributors were saying yeah, they'd love to, but the paperwork to connect to the grid takes six months to process and if you want to go off-grid there are a lot of byzantine regulations and permissions to go through as well. So I wonder how much of that six-months-to-restore-power has to do with the the usual speed things are done at, given the bureaucracy.

I also wonder if this emergency will give an incentive for the friendly neighborhood bureaucrats to develop some efficiency. I hope so.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Considering they are just recovering from Irma, it wouldn't surprise me if some religious sorts think this is God's idea of a sick joke.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Apparently they had a dam failure and massive flash floods and mud slides this morning.... "fortunately" that was well way from where wreybies is ... not much luck for all the other poor bastards though, including three elderly bed ridden sister killed when their house was carried away by a mud slide :cry:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/puerto-rico-dam-guatajaca-bursts-fails-latest-updates-flooding-evacuations-maria-bursts-fails-a7962486.html

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I've been reading a few things about how unprepared the island is due to the recent debt crisis. The territorial government could only afford to put aside $20 million for disaster preparedness, and the electrical utility has cut way back on maintenance, including apparently even failing to cut down trees near power lines.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Mind you that said Britain is woefully unprepared like that and we are a much bigger economy ... we don't get that sort of hurricane but a good force ten storm would cause utter chaos

7. Catrin Lewis

Oh, yeah, I remember the Great Storm back in 1987. Well, I don't recall it from first hand, but I saw enough of the remaining damage during my months in the UK a year later.

Puerto Rico, being an even smaller island, is facing even greater difficulties. I wonder if they could use a few or a hundred garbage scows, just to haul off the debris. Makes me wish I had some at my command.

8. Link the Writer

:supermad::supermad::cry::cry:

I'm speechless... just utterly speechless...

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  9. jannert

Shit. Now this dam in the western part of the island is going to burst. Trying to evacuate people when there is no power and no communication is just a horrendous job. Fingers crossed the dam holds. Or holds long enough to get people out of its path.

10. big soft moose

yeah we can hope - Wrey won't be affected ,hes relatively close by in caguas but that's upstream of the dam..... I know it feels awful to be less concerned about other people but that's human nature our people first then everyone else

11. jannert

I've been watching footage of the hurricane itself and the aftermath. It's just shocking devastation. It would be bad enough if it was just Houston, or just Dominica or just Puerto Rico or just one place at all. But all these places at once? How in hell do you begin to sort this out? According to reports, Puerto Rico had no money for infrastructure to begin with, and was in the process of negotiating bankruptcy for its government before this happened. Now what. So many lives and livelihoods and homes utterly destroyed so quickly.

Tell you what, though. It certainly puts a lot of petty crap into perspective, doesn't it?

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  12. big soft moose

America's going to have to help them., Just like Britain has to help BVI of course what they ask in exchange for that help is debateable (there is some talk about Britain asking BVI for closer cooperation in dealing with tax evaders ... much of whom's money goes through banks in the virgin isles)

13. Catrin Lewis

Oh, yes, help out of Washington DC goes without saying. That's why the island (and its various communities) was declared a disaster area on the 21st, to allow federal money to go for recovery. The first thing will be to get communications restored, or how can people apply?

I'm seeing that the state of New York in particular is sending experts and aid, there being close ties between the state and the territory.

Damn. The faster, the better.

14. SnapFandango

SnapFandango Banned

If he has another dam failure, it may end up on his carpet. Ok, I am heading for the door.

15. jannert

This from two days ago:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/24/553373996/cut-off-from-the-world-puerto-ricans-search-for-a-ghost-of-a-signal

Just saw a notification on his Facebook page (from somebody else) who said that Wreybies's neighbour's grandson reported 'they are fine and their house is fine as well.' They, presumably meaning Wreybies, his hubby, and maybe some relatives as well? Anyway, although sketchy, that's good news indeed.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    big soft moose and Komposten like this.
  16. big soft moose

definitely good news - although I thought he was at William's condo in Caguas... his own house is over the west side somewhere and his mum (and possibly other family) live in another house on the same property

jannert likes this.
  17. jannert

I believe the report came from possibly his sister? So she may have been reporting on parents, etc. However, she did post it on Wrey's status page. As I said, it's not entirely clear what she meant, but here's hoping.

Just saw this interview with the mayor of San Juan. Scary and hopeful at the same time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/local/weather/san-juan-mayor-there-is-horror-in-the-streets/2017/09/23/83469f26-a0a0-11e7-b2a7-bc70b6f98089_video.html?utm_term=.58648def3169

18. Link the Writer

Soo... we might not be hearing from poor Wrey for a while...

It's good he's all right (I hope he is), but I feel bad for his country and the people living there...

19. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I don't know how I missed this thread! I've been watching the devastation in shock like most other people and just...I don't know what to do or think or say. Everything just seems so awful and hopeless lately.

20. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

21. Link the Writer

jannert likes this.
  22. jannert

I'm hoping some private citizens and/or charities will be able to help out, to either fly things in or get there by boat.

My niece and her friend are heading to Cuba tomorrow, and have arranged with the airline that's taking them to allow them lots of extra baggage weight so they can take relief supplies. They've been collecting over the counter medicines, food items, personal hygiene items, etc, and have gathered quite a haul. The trip to Cuba was one they'd planned months ago. It's just the circumstances have changed a lot. She's a midwife, so she'll be volunteering to help in that capacity as well, while she's there. And another group of her friends and colleagues are going out in another week or so, with another haul of supplies.

I'm hoping that some people can do the same thing for Puerto Rico. It's just that so many places need this kind of attention just now. Infrastructure repair is vital. People are going to die pretty soon, if power doesn't go on. People who are ill and require medication that needs to be refrigerated ...diabetics, for a start.

Hard to know where to begin.

23. Link the Writer

I just hope there'll be enough. :( From what I've heard, 80% of Puerto Rico is without power and it could take months, if not years to get it back online.

It seems Trump has plans to visit Puerto Rico soon -- there's not much hope I have that he won't make it about him. That said, if he can actually do something to help the people recover, then that'll be good.

24. big soft moose

allegedly it had to be explained to him the Puerto Rico is American :D

looking on the brightside it was 100% without power last week so 80% is progress

Fernando.C likes this.
  25. Link the Writer

^ It's telling, Moosie, that it took him a week after the storm wrecked Puerto Rico to actually focus on that island. Apparently a bunch of burly NFL guys trumped a literal national environmental disaster.

Fernando.C likes this.