Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jannert, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

I know this should go in the Trump thread, but I have to get it out of my system.

President Trump has the subtlety of a sledgehammer, and the ego to match. With him it's not about political convictions, it's personal, and he looooovvvves making it personal. Yes, the Feds can't stay in Puerto Rico "forever," just as they couldn't stay in Louisiana or Long Island or Southern California "forever." But was that a useful or productive thing to say? Hell, no. Is Puerto Rico overburdened with an inefficient, convoluted bureaucracy that left the island ill-prepared to meet a challenge like Hurricane Maria? Yes, but the president's implying that they want to be babysat in perpetuity accomplishes nothing at the point we are now.

Trump has let this turn into a mudslinging battle between himself and the mayor of San Juan, and both of them are so busy pointing fingers and scoring points that they're forgetting it's a matter of working together for recovery, then getting the Feds the hell out.

I wish one of them would remember to be the grownup in the room, but I don't hold out hope for either. I know little about Madame Mayor, but if Mr. Trump hasn't learned by his age that "same to you, and more of it" accomplishes nothing, I doubt he ever will.

Was never and am not now a Hillary fan. But I pray the current POTUS is a one-termer.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Contributor Community Volunteer

as far as I know Puerto Ricans don't vote in US elections at all , for or against the tangerine tyrant.

3. Sir Robin

Sir Robin Member

Moosylvania (actually Baltimore, Maryland)
    They don't; just in the primaries.

4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

But here is the thing, Puerto Ricans can serve in the U.S. military, and are eligible to get drafted by a President into a war, yet they don't get the chance to vote to decide who the President is.

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Which is wholly unfair in my opinion. >:[ They either become a U.S. state, or they be granted independence.

Sir Robin likes this.
  6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

7. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Just FYI, Trump also decided to not renew the waiver of the Jones Act.