Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jannert, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Simpsons doesn't air here, so I tend to play catchup. Help where you can.

minstrel likes this.
  2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

You'd think that with Trump having been behind all those big construction projects, this would be just the challenge for him to get in there and tackle. But I guess not.

3. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Frankly I've been wondering if he's trying to make the Island go as far under as possible, so that when he's out of office he and his cronies can buy up properties dirt cheap. That's always been more his style.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Wrey used to be in the forces so I'd guess he'll know to boil his drinking water before he drinks it unless he's got some steritabs in his emergency kit

Shenanigator likes this.
  5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

He's got a LifeStraw system set up, which I believe should be enough even without boiling the water. :)
    (Although, it wouldn't hurt to boil it a bit just in case. ;) )

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

good ho, those things are great .... personally I wouldnt bother boiling if i was sourcing from cleanish running water with one of those, but if the source is dirtier (e.g faecal contamination from populations upstream or stagnant water) I'd boil it anyway

Shenanigator and Komposten like this.
  7. Shenanigator

On the news, they showed people collecting water from a pipe sticking out of a hillside, and I swear to God I'm not making this up, but the water coming out was a bright Smurf blue. Like a paler version of a melted Slurpee. I don't even want to know WTF that was.

8. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I love Wrey to death, and I'm certain he's bright enough and prepared enough to take care of those sort of things, but he was a zoomie and an intel weenie (epithet being delivered by a fellow intel weenie) to boot; the only survival skills he learned in that environment would have been the migratory patterns of the wild roach coach.

[​IMG]

Wreybies likes this.
  9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

What's a "zoomie"? Someone who has explosive gastric trouble after eating from the wild roach coach?

10. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    (United States) Air Force. There is no greater divide amongst the services than that between zoomies and jarheads.

Wreybies likes this.
  11. big soft moose

Leaving aside the whole service rivalry thing (and lets face it Booties aren't proper soldiers either :D )

I thought all air force officers had to do SERE ... that should have taught him a few things

12. big soft moose

copper or tin contamination would be my guess, we have lakes like that down here

Shenanigator likes this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Wrey wasn't an officer, he was enlisted, and AFAIK, only Air Force pilots (and maybe not all of them, not sure) go through SERE school. There just aren't a lot of slots there, even if the various services wanted to send a lot of people.

And the really cool thing about Air Force / Marine rivalry is that everyone involved agrees on the factual differences between the services, it's just the interpretations and value judgments that separate us. For example, Wrey would probably argue that living in a pit in the dirt and being fed MREs is less preferable to living in a room with maid service (I actually experienced that on an Air Force base).

Just can't understand zoomies....

2016-07-15-Strip_430_Air_Force_Blues_web.jpg
    credit: Maximillian Uriarte, Terminal Lance

Wreybies and KaTrian like this.
  14. big soft moose

Being Ex British Forces I'd say you're both all featherbedded to hell and back ...(which is why when the US/UK forces come together the British steal everything that isn't nailed down .... obviously as an officer I was above such things and definitely didn't steal an American camp cot and poncho liner from the 173rd )

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  15. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Ah, so you're the reason we got locked down on a South Korean air base when a certain piece of expensive equipment turned up missing....I knew those British guys we'd trained with that day looked dodgy....

16. big soft moose

To be honest my guys never nicked anything expensive, it was all stuff like campbeds, poncho liners, pillows, food (especially the little bottles of hot sauce, tabasco, mayo etc out of the rat packs, and the hot chocolate sachets, packets of Gatorade and like that).

I did hear a story about a Navy jet pilot who landed at a marine base during the Vietnam war, and the marines nicked his sidewinder missiles straight off the aircraft

17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Sounds about right. During Desert Shield, the Army had a massive lockdown due to fears of US five-ton trucks being used by the enemy in truck bombings. Seems something like twenty of them had been insufficiently guarded one night and wandered off, but they were later found safe and sound on a Marine base.

18. big soft moose

lol - during Kosovo one of our platoons (not mine) ahem "acquired" a UAZ GAZ (the Russian version of the jeep). Allegedly they found it abandoned with the keys in, but I've always suspected they nicked it somewhere.

19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Okay, I did my google due diligence but came up confused. What's a "bootie"? The answers I've got refer to either people's bottoms or baby slippers, and neither of them seem to relate to interservice rivalry. A Marine "Boot" is a new guy.

20. big soft moose

Royal Marine = Bootneck ... its the same etymology as Leatherneck in the US , ie that they used to wear leather stocks as part of their uniform after stocks went out of fashion in most military units

21. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

22. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Good news for Wrey, though. He just posted this statement, along with a photo, on his Facebook page. The picture shows workmen at the end of his street, unloading power poles. He says:
    So with any luck, he'll be back with us soon. I hope. He is really missed. And furthermore, it's no fun imagining what he must be going through, along with the other denizens of the island.

23. big soft moose

Accordinf to what minstrel said on another thread Wrey has a generator now... the sticking point is access to the internet which is still a sometime thing til the cell towers and phone lines are back up

24. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's not all bad news: Even though its stores are still closed, this company is paying its employees in Puerto Rico

25. Shenanigator

From a news report from the early days of the crisis, I heard Google had brought in floating cell towers but I have not seen anything about that since. So I don't know if it was erroneous reporting, or if it happened but the demand is such that it only covers emergency services.

Say what you want about The View as a talk show, but one of the co-hosts has family in PR and, with the ABC news division's resources behind her, went to PR with a film crew to check things out for herself. Considering she's not a reporter, I thought she did a damn good job on this segment. After showing the segment on the show the other day, she said she went expecting to find things there better than this. She said she was told to burn the clothes and shoes she wore to cross the contaminated river.

Scroll down on this page to see what they filmed there. Part 1 shows what people in rural areas are dealing with.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view/news/view-news/how-to-help-puerto-rico